Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arcam AVR-400 Owners Thread

Discussion in 'Arcam Forum' started by ianmacd, Feb 11, 2011.

1. ridewhistler

ridewhistler Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Jowi:

image-1608120823.jpg

image-3879663799.jpg

image-2447050108.jpg

image-1387741114.jpg

image-3933577414.jpg

image-4049595294.jpg

image-2271875084.jpg

image-1854128118.jpg

image-2701033337.jpg

A
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. ridewhistler

ridewhistler Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Jowi:

image-4000496477.jpg
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. ridewhistler

ridewhistler Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Jowi:

image-548914460.jpg
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. calgaryjohn

calgaryjohn Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I have had 2 weeks to play with the 400 now, and I managed to configure the inputs to the respective players. My playstation 3 is (on the AV input) with the multiconnector and optical digital; the oppo 83 DVD (on BD input) set to component out and coaxial digital.
    I have a 10 meter run of RGB component to my TV from the 400 Receiver, I had to boost the brightness on both players to get the proper brightness out of the 400 over component. I have not tried it with HDMI at this point. I also performed the auto speaker set up twice and it was helpful but I ended up measuring the speakers myself and doing a manual set up to get the best sound. I had problems with the L & R interfering with my Center and creating fuzzy speech. When I manually configured the speakers I was able to get everything arriving in synch with a clearer result.
    My Wife was extemely upset that this new box sounded so poor (For voices) until I manually configured it.
    The surround sound is outstanding even with the bad voicing (1st week); Now we watched several movies on the weekend and the kids/wife had no complaints.
    The 400 gets hot just like the 300 even though I use an external amp for the LCR speakers. The 400 LCR terminals are still being fed current obviously with no way to turn off.
    I have been pleased so far but I wish I could get the HD sound from my HD sources but the unit will not configure HDMI audio with component video on one input. You could run the video directly from the players to the TV and input HDMI for audio only but I want to use the 400 as the output for simplicity. My Oppo BD 83 could do this but it is upstairs on the big plasma. So for now on a pre HD TV my configuration is the best compromise.

Now a month in on the 400 and i'm mostly happy with the performance sound wise. I bought a new centre speaker, a Focus audio FCC 2 SE; a huge improvement over the 10 year old unit that did not match the right and left in any way. The new centre can carry the movie on it's own and really helps to show off the quality of the 400 in Theater use.

My biggest complaint so far; the Video output of the 400 over component is too dark and I have tried boosting the sources and the unit output to compensate. I haven't tried the HDMI so I can't speak to it.
    Setting up zone 2 was a real PITA
    I really like the OSD for the various inputs FM tuner was a real treat. I didn't mention I bought a new speaker to the Wife but she has never mentioned the sound since I configured the surround manually. I can say that the new speaker is the best (Home Theater) thing I bought for a long time.:clap:
  5. killer10971

killer10971 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    do all the avr4 00s have a delay in decoding audio after pausing a bluray and then resuming

example
    bdp100 pause a file and resume within a minute no problems , pause then resume after maybe 3+ minutes and film plays with no audio then the avr400 display shows the audio stream and outputs audio ,all takes about ten seconds

its like the avr goes to sleep or defaults to a different audio mode

ta
  6. A.I.

A.I. Member

Ratings:
    +103
    I'm considering buying an AVR 400.

Can one of the owners please tell me:

Can I connect the AVR 400 wirelessly with my iPad through my network?

In other words does it support airplay? Does any other model?

I have seen some mention of it connecting with an iPhone but can't remember seeing any mention of an iPad.

Thanks to anyone who can take the time to answer my little question.
  7. zippyblip

zippyblip Member

Ratings:
    +2
    No airplay capability sadly. I run my mac mini into mine, via an rDAC for music, i use the remote app on my ipad to control. To feed the Arcam directly from the iPad using airplay would need an airport express.

I don't know if any Arcam kit supports airplay yet. They do have rWave, this uses usb dongles to stream music.
  8. ridewhistler

ridewhistler Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Hi A.I.,

The answer is that it does not have AirPlay but you can stream to it through your network using the Songbook '11 app from iTunes.
    This will play music from either an iPhone or iPad wirelessly over a wifi connection or let you control the music from a upnp server. At £17.99 it is a very pricey though for what you get. I don't find it the slickest app and it is quite glitchy. The makers website says they are there to help and answer any emails but the four that I sent have gone unanswered.
    Having said all that, it does work ok and the AVR400 is a great sounding amp.

Regards
  9. A.I.

A.I. Member

Ratings:
    +103
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I've just had a look at that and it looks quite tidy. At £17.99 it had better be.

I wonder if a better solution might be an Apple TV2 which by all accounts will stream anything you can throw at it, audio and video, including lossless :smashin:

I'm a little disappointed that Arcam have yet to fully embrace this technology.
  10. Jaunty

Jaunty Member

Ratings:
    +169
    Big thumbs up from me for ATV2 :smashin:. We have 4 (bought at bargain prices or in USA). Sounds great streaming lossless, super easy to configure and control. But then I am pretty committed in to iTunes ecosystem (all music ripped lossless years ago).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Theclam2008

Theclam2008 Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Don't get me wrong, I know what your saying, but with so many airplay solutions on the market (ATV2) :thumbsup: I'm glad they spent their r&d budget on making beautiful sounding amps instead of following the crowd with another 'buy me' gimmick.
    For £99 you really can't go wrong. Quick jailbreak and a copy of XBMC and you've got a very powerfull media player.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Brother Methias

Brother Methias Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've hooked up the wadia i171 transport via the digital coax.. nice sound so far, I'm wondering if anybody has had success getting the arcam remote to recognize the wadia. Allegedly wadia uses teac cd player codes but I've tried the ones suggested everywhere and no luck..
  13. Jaunty

Jaunty Member

Ratings:
    +169
    PS they may announce an ATV3 with the iPad 3 on 7th March
  14. carty

carty Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi,

I'm the VERY proud owner of a new avr400. Could someone help with the usb connection though. I have a MAC and have formatted a hard drive (320gig), using ntfs tuxera 3g, for my FLAC music and was hoping to plug it in and play through the Arcam, previously I had it plugged into my 651BD. The avr400 won't recognise the HDD at all though, which is a pain.

Anyone any suggestions?

Cheers, Carty.
  15. killer10971

killer10971 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    i think its fat 32 only
  16. killer10971

killer10971 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    i dont suppose a fellow 400 owner can confirm that when resuming from a long pause or skipping a chapter there is a brief pause before the audio plays again even though video is playing ,duration depends on audio type , ie dts hd master or DD 5.1 etc

no lip sync issues even though it does this

need
  17. carty

carty Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks,

I've now tried all formats available. Tuxera NTFS, NTFS 3G, Fat, EXFat and can't get the AVR to recognise any of them. At a loss now.

Carty.
  18. kez

kez Moderator

Ratings:
    +532
    so have you tried FAT32 as suggested?? I dont see it in your list
  19. carty

carty Member

Ratings:
    +1
    ms-dos (fat) is the MAC equivalent to fat 32 so yes I have tried the suggested, as well as different partition maps for each different file system type. I'm shocked that Arcam have used such an antiquated file system with severe limitations in such a new receiver.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  20. killer10971

killer10971 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    i had i similar issue with my plan to have all my music lossless on a drive plugged into the avr

i found the more i added to the drive (flac) then the slower and finally until it just sat there not responding

try putting a single mp3 on the drive just to check its not a bottle neck

i have found that the way the avr allows you to view the file structure is a bit pants
  21. carty

carty Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The first time I plugged it in I had it formatted in NTFS and all my FLAC on the HDD and it didn't recognise the HDD, then i tried it with Fat and only one album of FLAC on, still nothing. Then xfat and an mp3 file, yet again nothing, back to fat with nothing on it, nothing. God knows what to do with it.
  22. killer10971

killer10971 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    weird one

are you def navigating to the harddrive folder ? not trying to insult you
  23. carty

carty Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Erm, I think so, within the NET navigator. Right? God I hope it's as easy as looking in the wrong place.
  24. kez

kez Moderator

Ratings:
    +532
    I just formatted a 4GB USB stick on my mac pro as fat32. Put a folder with a flac file in on it, plugged it in and selected the net input. AVR saw the folder and let me select the file fine.
  25. killer10971

killer10971 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    what size drive are you using as i vaguely remember something about a size limit im using a 320 Gb

i may be wrong
  26. carty

carty Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Dodgy USB cable!!!!

Just pulled the cabinet out, no mean feat, and changed the USB cable to another one and it's working fine, it's a brand spanking new cable too. Disaster averted though and thanks a bundle for your input. I'm using a 320 Gb too.

Carty.

Black Sabbath, War Pigs has taken my 400's cherry!!!!
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  27. carty

carty Member

Ratings:
    +1
    For those who are interested I've just formatted with NTFS Tuxera in OS X 10.6.8 so it's not just the Fat sytem the 400 recognises, thank god!

Carty.
  28. killer10971

killer10971 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    any delay when accessing the files if they are lossless??

dont suppose you could answer my question ref a delay in the audio when resuming a long pause or track skip :lease:
  29. carty

carty Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Spoke too soon regarding the 400 working with NTFS, it recognises the HDD but not the files stored on it. I haven't noticed any pause in the audio starting up again after a long pause using MKV files, played through my BD player. I'll try it in a min with the FLAC files. How long of a pause are you talking?

Carty
  30. killer10971

killer10971 Member

Ratings:
    +21
    cheers mate

talking about a bluray disc dts hd master track ,resume after a 5min pause and also skipping from chapter to chapter , trying to establish if my avr is faulty

ta