Arcam AVR-400 Owners Thread

Problems after updating the ARCAM AVR 400 to software 2.24a - Remote CR102 doesn't work, can not go to standby mode with CR102, HDMI doesn't work fine - only BD will play, but not in 5.1 only 3 channels - no dts (BD contains dts)

The AVR 400 is connected via HDMI to Philips 58PFL9955H Cinema 21:9 and via HDMI to Philips BDP 7600

What can I do ?

Last edited:
Very strange. So do you have the following firmware installed now?

Host 2.24
Torino 1.78
DSP 1.17
USB 1.03
Sub 1.01

I have been running this for just over a month now without any issues. I assume you have done a factory reset with your settings (I think the update process does this anyway but worth a check). If you are still having issues then might be worth checking back with your dealers.

Very strange. So do you have the following firmware installed now?

Host 2.24
Torino 1.78
DSP 1.17
USB 1.03
Sub 1.01

Same firmware is installed - there are no multichannel sources available

Best thing to do is to speak to your dealer to ask them for support. It might be you have a physical problem and need to send the unit back for repair. If you no longer have access to your dealer then the best thing is to email or phone Arcam on 01223 203200. I am not sure they are specifically designed for direct end user support as they prefer users go through their dealers but there might be someone who can help.

I just got the newly released Arcam AVR360!

Couldnt say anything bad about this receiver because there isnt anything bad to say.. seriously.

Lol This looks identical to the Arcam AVR-400 that I have sat in front of me now? When was this released as the Arcam website has no information at all and only quote their range as the 888, 600 and 400?

Lol This looks identical to the Arcam AVR-400 that I have sat in front of me now? When was this released as the Arcam website has no information at all and only quote their range as the 888, 600 and 400?

If you watch the video you will notice that the unit is not as tall as 400. It probably has a bit less power and maybe couple of inputs less, dropping the price below $2000. Let's wait and see.

british company and the first announcement of a new product comes via an american and a youtube video

if its not a load of ***** then its a load of bo..llocks!!!!!

hot and ratty

british company and the first announcement of a new product comes via an american and a youtube video

if its not a load of ***** then its a load of bo..llocks!!!!!

hot and ratty

Actually this is not a first reference to AVR 360 I have seen. A Toronto high-end store Bay Bloor Radio had a newsletter where the announced that Arcam representative will demonstrate new Arcam products, which included 'the new AVR 360 and AVR 400'. When I saw it I thought it was a typo, but now I realize it wasn't :).

Since a few days, my AVR400 suffers from annoying hum emitted by the toroidal power transformer. Has anyone here made the same experience, or is your Arcam quiet as it should be? Any ideas, why this could happen? I don't want to send it in for repair... (when they tell me afterwards "this is normal").

Since a few days, my AVR400 suffers from annoying hum emitted by the toroidal power transformer. Has anyone here made the same experience, or is your Arcam quiet as it should be? Any ideas, why this could happen? I don't want to send it in for repair... (when they tell me afterwards "this is normal").

There is no easy answer to that. A small amount of hum is normal and is a characteristic of a toroidal transformer. But the question is, how loud does it have to be before it is a problem.

Hum may be caused by defect, but it can also be caused by poor mains quality. Interference from a hair dryer for example, elsewhere in the house, can cause loud hum. But it's easy enough to turn the hairdryer off.

The best suggestion is to visit a dealer and listen to another AVR400 in the shop. If it is much quieter than yours then you may have a problem.

Arcam are pretty good if you are still covered by warranty and will either replace or repair your unit if need be. I had similar problem with my first AVR600. It was replaced and the new unit is absolutely fine.

Good luck with it.

Does any one try to use AVR400 with Proac Tablelette Anniversary for music listening?

Since I am now seriously to buy a new set of AV system for video and music, I like the vocal sound of Proac TA very much, but would like to know if AVR400 could be able to drive the speakers.

Thanks!

Hi,
Please excuse my ignorance but I am just setting up my FMJ AVR 400 and I have a couple of questions re what are the suggested (better) modes? I have Virgin and HD as my SAT, with B&W 5+sub surround. If I pick say a HD channel the mode defaults to Audio Input HDMI, Video Input HDMI/SAT, and then mode default as Dolby Digital 2/0.0 NEO 6 Cinema.

Is this the best setting or do some think that Dolby Digital 2/0.0 + Dolby PLII Movie is better?

Any info much appreciated.

Ian

Well after a lot of thought and deciding I really couldn't afford the AVR600 (and all the associated problems I've read about it) I ordered an AVR400 at the Manchester Hifi show (with associated show discount), now have to wait a week or so for it to arrive. This is an upgrade from a AVR200 which has served me well but is lacking on modern inputs and firmware. However being relatively new to the whole HDMI cabling malarky I was after some advice or even opinions:
I understand the point in using HDMI from a blu-ray player into a AV amp so it can process the audio but why would I bother running a HDMI from the Sky box when I have to use the digital optical for audio? Similarly for a DVD player (I also ordered the Denon 2012 Blu-ray at the show, so haven't decided yet whether I should drop my Pioneer from my line up).
Or do most people use HDMI into their amp and then HDMI into their tv so they don't have to switch the input on the tv as well as the amp?
And why are there only 2 optical ports on the AVR400, I thought these were better than co-axial or has it finally been decided that there is no difference and people prefer co-axial (I guess because optical can be a bit 'fragile')?

thanks for your thoughts

Kit = Denon DBP2012UD, Pioneer DV-400V, Sky+ HD, Arcam CD73, Xbox 360, Panasonic TX-P50V20B, Quad 22L, 11L and centre, REL Quake sub

Hi Physhe,

The AVR-400 is a great bit of kit although it too is not without it's problems and Arcam have not got any quicker releasing firmware updates. When your kit eventually arrives check out their site to ensure you are running the latest firmware (2.24).

I started out running all my devices through the Arcam (PS3, V+ HD box, Oppo) via HDMI and then through a single HDMI cable to my TV (Panasonic VT30). Whilst this sort of worked I noticed various HDMI handshake / audio drop out issues that Arcam has blamed on the other devices and not itself. The other potential issue, depending on how you set up your TV, if you configure the TV with different viewing settings depending on the input then routing all your AV through your Arcam means you then loose this reconfigurability. In view of this I returned to routing all video directly into the TV and Audio to the AMP in three different ways:

1) V+ HD box to AMP via optical cable
2) PS3 to AMP via HDMI (Audio & Video)
3) OPPO blu-ray player to AMP via HDMI (Audio only) - Oppo supply to HDMI ports so you can output video and audio separately.

Oh on the HDMI cable front, don't go buying mega pointlessly expensive cables. If you need them then use this company (HDMI Cables | HD Leads up to 70% Off)

Just noticed the AVR-600 has received another firmware update....wonder if the AVR-400 will get some Arcam loving to sort out some of these HDMI glitches.

So, is the Arcam AVR400 a much better receiver than the AVR350?

Is it worth the upgrade?
Or shall I wait for the next receiver from Arcam?

Is ARCAM expected to release a new receiver in 2012?

So, is the Arcam AVR400 a much better receiver than the AVR350?

After nearly 3months with my 400 (2nd unit) I still say:

2 channel Music - No
Movies/Multichannel - Yes

I have first hand experience as I changed from a New 350 to a New 400.

After nearly 3months with my 400 (2nd unit) I still say:

2 channel Music - No
Movies/Multichannel - Yes

I have first hand experience as I changed from a New 350 to a New 400.

In terms of 2-channel music, is the AVR400 at the same level as the AVR350, or a step back?

I can't see Arcam releasing a new AVR400 type amp next year...maybe the year after. Arcam are spot on with their hardware but the firmware is definitely a weak link (see the 600 thread too). Arcam need to get some more technical backup on their video / hdmi control units to sort this stuff out.

In terms of 2-channel music, is the AVR400 at the same level as the AVR350, or a step back?

To me and my setup a step back.
The 350 was clear and precise, The 400 sounds like its behind a veil.

I can second this - I had AVR400 overnight and in addition to being veiled/muddy in comparision to Arcam's own A85 integrated, it does not have its grip and authority in the bass region. This 'vagueness' and 'tentative' sound was already described by What Hi-Fi magazine in their group test, but by reading the rest of the review, one might conclude that clarity and focus did not suffer in AVR400, which is not my experience.

Are you using the DV139 as the 2-channel source that sounds veiled on the AVR400 compared to on the AVR350?

Are you using the DV139 as the 2-channel source that sounds veiled on the AVR400 compared to on the AVR350?

I have tried both my 139 and CD192 and they sound very restricted in sound compared to when I had my 350.

As said I would not buy the 400 if 2 channel music is over 30% of your systems use, but if you mainly watch movies and must have Arcam buy it.

After recently hearing a couple of other AV receivers from different brands (around the same budget) I would seriously look elsewhere.

I am not an Arcam basher (my 139 and 192 are fantastic, as was my 350) I just think they have tried to do too much and lost the Arcam sound and quality. I know the 400 is there bottom of the range but a near £2k avr should be better.

Offering a different opinion here but I have Arcam's newest AVR360 which is their entry level receiver and find it sounds better for music than my old AVR350 and AVR280. I freely admit that I have not directly compared the AVR360 to the AVR350 since I sold the AVR350 some time ago in favour of an Arcam AV8 but I was never that impressed with the AVR350 for music. To my ears, the new AVR360 sounds similar in tone to the AV8, even though it is less open and transparent sounding. By comparison, when I first purchased the AV8, I was amazed at how different it sounded from the AVR350, which seemed to lack weight and tone by comparison.

As usual, it is always best to demo the kit yourself and trust your ears. If it sounds good to you, it IS good, and likewise, if it doesn't hit the mark, move on.

Jagr - what other receivers in the price range did you think hit the mark music wise? Not trying to be confrontational - I am truly curious.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom