1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apple iPad Warranty Replacement !

Discussion in 'iPad' started by judethedude, Apr 19, 2012.

1. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Apple have agreed to replace a my new ipad due to screen issues and have advised that they will send an empty box for me to return it in and, on receipt, will send a replacement.

Can anyone who has previously used this method to replace a new ipad, please advise if you have received a "brown box" replacement or a replacement in the original "sealed" packaging.

I ask because, for resale purposes, I want to retain the original box and packaging.

Thank you
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  2. Bbnm

Bbnm Member

Ratings:
    +19
    You'll get new box with new pad !!!!
  3. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks for that Bbnm :smashin:
  4. Bbnm

Bbnm Member

Ratings:
    +19
    I think ... Usual practice ....
  5. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Not sure what you mean by that ?
  6. ramdrive

ramdrive New Member

Ratings:
    +21
    A friend on mine had his iPad 3 replaced on Tuesday due to screen issues, same process as you and the replacement was in a plain brown box.

I advise you keep the original packaging, he did!
  7. ramdrive

ramdrive New Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Forgot to mention, the replacement was worse than the original iPad he returned!

If you have a local Apple store I would get the swap done there, at least you can try the screen before you leave.
  8. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks for the info Ramdrive. Was the brown box replacement a brand new iPad or refurbished ?

Also, did your friend return the replacement iPad ?

The nearest Apple store is an hours drive from where I live so I'd rather not have to do the trip unless absolutely necessary.

Having said that, the brown box replacement will be the third new iPad I will have had !
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  9. ramdrive

ramdrive New Member

Ratings:
    +21
    We do not know, he was told it was to early for refurbs to be available but with Apple you never know...

I was lucky with my iPad 3 it was perfect, touch wood! If there was any issues with it I would have got a refund and waited 2-3 months and purchased again.

Also remember the serial number on the box will not match the actual unit, so you will have to explain to a future buyer the unit was a warranty swap out...
  10. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Did they return the replacement, and if so, how ?

That's a pain and something I hadn't considered ?
  11. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,410
    Being a warranty swap out will not affect resale as AppleCare still applies for 1 year as standard. Think only the most OCD would then focus on non-matching boc
  12. ramdrive

ramdrive New Member

Ratings:
    +21
    We are taking the iPad to the local Apple store in Birmingham tomorrow, we will check a few units and see how they look.

Fingers crossed you may get a sealed retail packed unit, stranger things have happened :smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Please post back on this thread how you get on at the Apple store as I'd be interested to know if you find another one with a perfect screen.
  14. poppitypop

poppitypop Member

Ratings:
    +109
    Just keep your original packaging and wrap the ipad in bubble wrap then put it in the box they send you. Problem sorted.
  15. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks for the post poppitypop.

I have today taken the iPad back to Tesco (second one this week) and got a full refund as I was put off by the "brown box"warranty exchange. I've ordered another one from Tesco for delivery tomorrow and if that one has issues I'll use the Apple warranty exchange. Hopefully it will be third time lucky !
  16. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,451
    +1,

Whenever I have sent my Apple stuff for warranty service, I never supplied my original packaging
  17. ramdrive

ramdrive New Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Let us know how you get on with the new unit.

Fingers crossed!
  18. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +72
    I've received the Apple "brown box" to return the iPad and it's only big enough to fit the iPad in anyway so I wouldnt have been returning the original packaging after all !
  19. p1tse

p1tse Member

Ratings:
    +65
    i really don't like the idea of a replacement not being brand new from a fresh sealed unit, but hey ho that's how apple works
  20. 5to1

5to1 Member

Ratings:
    +92
    Had mine replaced in store due to dust under the screen and got a brown box replacement.

The main reason I went in was due to issues with my GFs MBPs battery. Since I was going anyway I thought I may as well get the iPad replaced as well. Apple replaced the battery on the MBP and the bottom of the case as a foot had fallen off without any hassle. There was only one minute spec of dust under the screen of the iPad and they replaced that immediately as well. Really can't fault their service. This was my GFs first MBP and they've won her over for life now. If they bump the res on the next line of MBPs my brother, several colleagues and I will probably switch to their laptops as well. It's such a pleasure to deal with a company that doesn't treat customer service as a war of attrition.

Given the choice between a brown box replacement from Apple and a long protracted argument with other companies we've dealt with, I'll happily take a brown box replacement.
  21. Jeff

Jeff Active Member

Ratings:
    +257
    Brown box replacements are sealed, it's just a service part rather then retail.
  22. bpsmith

bpsmith Member

Ratings:
    +708
    Why bother having to send back an iPad and everything it came with, only for them to have to send all that back. Makes total sense to me!
  23. p1tse

p1tse Member

Ratings:
    +65
    Does that mean they are new new just without the packaging box as opposed to refurbed units?
  24. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +72
    Received my third iPad yesterday from Tesco and the screen seemed perfect. I then tested for backlight bleed (black screen in a dark room) and again, there was virtually no backlight bleed so was very pleased until I tilted the screen at 45 degree's and saw this :

[​IMG]

Previously I have taken the ipad back to the store but this time I called them and they are sending out a replacement for delivery on Monday. Here's hoping I'll be luckier on the fourth attempt.
  25. leebroath

leebroath Active Member

Ratings:
    +413
    Should you be worried about the light bleed?

It's not as if you see it at any angle you type etc
  26. ramdrive

ramdrive New Member

Ratings:
    +21
    If you have a 100% good screen and cannot see the bleed in normal use I would hang on to it.
  27. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +72
    I totally agree and I was very tempted to keep it.

However, when I inevitably look to upgrade in 11 months time and come to sell it, I will have to disclose the light bleed or otherwise risk a dispute and potential return.

I'd therefore rather have an iPad that I can confidently sell on, than one that had a fault that I could live with but someone else could not.
  28. dan25730

dan25730 Active Member

Ratings:
    +185
    I sort of get what your saying but I don't understand this obsession about resale value. Your buying it for you to enjoy, not somebody else when you pass it on.

I learnt to overcome my obsession with finding the ideal iPad when the 2 came out and I'm much happier because of it.

The chances are that when you do come to sell it the buyer won't be bothered or even notice something like light bleed, it's only us obsessives that sit in dark rooms turning the brightness up to find the fault.

Good luck in your quest to find the perfect iPad.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  29. judethedude

judethedude Member

Ratings:
    +72
    My point of view is that, if you look after things, you get more for them when you sell them on and you'll therefore pay less for the next one !

Received my fourth replacement iPad today and it has a small hair about 10mm long trapped under the glass in the corner of the screen adjacent to front camera :facepalm:

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  30. dan25730

dan25730 Active Member

Ratings:
    +185
    Lol, just give up, your cursed!