Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anything better than handbrake

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Hopalong, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hopalong

Hopalong Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Hi all I am currently using handbrake to convert my episodes of smallville so I can watch them on my iPad. Each episodes which is only 44 minutes long is taking 1hour 30 mins to convert which seems bonkers to me:rolleyes:

I was just wondering if anybody else used a different programme to convert video files which was quicker and was just as good.
    I've still got season 8 and 9 to go and with 20-24 episodes in each season it will take forever to convert all of them using handbrake.

Thanks.
  2. StevieBuck

StevieBuck Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    There's a list of similar programmes to Handbrake given here which you may be able to use instead:

HandBrake 0.9.5 - VideoHelp.com Downloads

The speed at which the files convert however will largely come down to the speed of your computer (laptop) though, and the quality settings you choose within the programme.

I take it you are converting the files from DVD?
  3. celsius

celsius Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Instead of finding a better way to convert the video, why do you not explore ways to play the video on ipad WITHOUT having to convert them?

There are many ways you can do that and for free.
    I have given up converting video (for PS3/PSP/PMP) a long time ago. They are time consuming and IMO, totally unnecessary.
  4. Tempest

Tempest Active Member

Ratings:
    +502
    I don't recall the name, but there is one system, that you buy which comes with a USB dongle which contains hardware to speed up the conversion process and I believe improve the quality at the same time.

Perhaps someone here can find a link to it?
  5. Hopalong

Hopalong Member

Ratings:
    +21
    No there not from DVD there downloaded files in the divex format entire series is only 7gig but I must admit the pc is about 5 years old now that being said it's had a very easy life it's only ever been used for storing files on only time it gets turned on is when I want to sync up my apple stuff it's got a 3.2ghz processor so I would have thought that was decent enough for such a task.
    It's took it 6 hrs to do 4 episodes :eek:
    Didn't think it would be that bad started off thinking this morning I'll just put a couple of series of smallville on my iPad to watch while I'm in hospital turned into a major time consumer :(
    Almost tempted to just buy the series off iTunes instead of being a tight sod:D serves me right for not getting vlc when it was still available

Thanks all for the advice I'll check out some of the other conversion programmes.
  6. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,881
    Downloaded fom where?
  7. internetuser

internetuser Active Member

Ratings:
    +214
    Use vlc ?
  8. Shoka

Shoka Active Member

Ratings:
    +241
    Roxio Popcorn is an alternative, it's not free though. It's quicker than handbrake but I find the quality of Handbrake conversions far superior.
  9. peterjcat

peterjcat Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Handbrake is in almost all cases the best tool for the job. It's only slow because the default settings go for quality and small file sizes rather than speed. Reduce the quality slider, or even go for MPEG-4 (ffmpeg) rather than H.264 (x264) for the video codec, and things will go much faster -- you'll just end up with slightly lower quality and/or larger files, but if you're in hospital you probably won't care about that :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. mritschris

mritschris Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Use total Video converter. I have used it for years and it has converted my tv shows with default settings on the program in under 10minutes. With really good HD quality. Although i was converting 350mb .avi files. It's also very easy to use and has a good GUI.

http://www.effectmatrix.com/total-video-converter/
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  11. Nebbs

Nebbs Member

Ratings:
    +162
    If you missed Vlc why not try cineXplayer, does pretty much the same as vlc
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Hopalong

Hopalong Member

Ratings:
    +21
    Thanks for all replies I'll give that total video converter a try,also moved some files over to the wife's new laptop with a quad core i5 processor to see if that does it quicker,
  13. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,359
    Your wives laptop will do it a lot quicker, your hardware is by far the limiting factor in this process.

A box like the elgato h.264 can transform your machine for this.
  14. Theydon Bois

Theydon Bois Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,881
    Thread now locked. PM me to answer the question and I will reopen the thread.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.