Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone with a New iPad totally disgusted now??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by leebroath, Oct 23, 2012.

1. malk

malk Member

Ratings:
    +162
    I havent got any airplay speakers/amps,i just stream from itunes,or plex,to my phone,or ipad,and wherever i am,plug in some speakers!!
    ATV is plugged in to my Onkyo 606 though.
    It would be nice to have an amp with airplay built in though.
  2. jg213

jg213 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    From what I understood I think that the ipad 3 is not compatible at all with any UK 4g services, including the upcoming EE, hence why Apple had to take 4g compatibly off their web site after they first launched and I think after Australia made a case against them for advertising a feature that wasn't available.

So the new ipad is 2x as fast, has a hd front facing camera and uk 4g support atleast from EE. It's like an iphone 4 to 4s upgrade I suppose all internal. They probably could have made it thinner and lighter but I guess it's not needed right now, plus they can save that for next year.

proprietary connections can also be a problem, they mainly exsist to keep Apples profits coming in from all directions. Anyone who puts Airplay into their devices has to pay Apple, manufacters want to make a dock have to cough up money to Apple and they are making all their devices with out dvd / blu ray drives....Why? So you purchase from their iTunes store.

But after all that Apple is on the top right now and I'm going to see what Windows 8 offers if not much hopefully the untethered jailbreak will be available for io6 and I wouldn't mind as much as I'm sure I would get closer to what I would want.
  3. CAS FAN

CAS FAN Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,034
    This thread just seems to be mainly a bunch of keyboard warriors either looking to try and pick fault with Apple devices or defend them to the hilt.

At the end of the day, no products are perfect and some will appeal to some and not others. The main thing people are getting from this thread (and to be honest it's a common thing on Internet forums) is to satisfy their need for online argument as opposed to anything else.

If I go to a hotel then I just take my HDMI connector with me. It's tiny and yes, whilst £25 is perhaps a bit rich for a little connector, it does the job. Is this ideal? I guess not, but to include the HDMI gubbins inside the iPad will only increase size and weight and generate another port to get fluff etc. in. The point is that there are pros and cons as to whether the socket should be included or not, but it's hardly a major issue and you can easily just pack the adaptor with your power adaptor.

4g will probably not have any decent coverage for most folk until the back end of next year and there cold be a further couple of revisions by then. I personally just buy wifi versions as there's plenty of hotspots I can use if out and about and hotels usually have wifi too. I don't think I've ever walked down the street using it and doubt I ever will, but that's just me.

The bottom line is that the iPad will keep developing, as will the android based tablets and I guess the 'fans' will always support their device whilst looking to put down the competition. Such is life.
  4. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,359
    And I guess you are bringing your HDMI cable as well? I've never been to a hotel where they were readily available anyway in the room...
  5. CAS FAN

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Exactly, you need that whether there's a built in socket or not so is it really that bad to have to take it with the adaptor ready attached? Seriously it's things like this that folk will only really argue about for the sake of it. It's not really a significant issue at all.
  6. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,359
    Exactly my thinking...Just like with projectors, the darn things in office environment never have a vga or dvi cable...So I just bring my own so I can start my meeting on time and may as well have my adapter attached for connection to my iPad...That 30 pin connector is so versatile to be able to have all those different connection types...
  7. rainbow cookies

rainbow cookies Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I only got my new ipad a month or so ago and yes I am very annoyed that they are now releasing a new one so soon.

I've only seen one or two reviews (and sorry haven't read through the whole of the thread) can someone summarise for me what the latest version has to offer? Apart from the new charger connectivity.
  8. CAS FAN

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Basically it has an A6X chip which is supposed to double the CPU and GPU performance of the A5X chip in the iPad 3. The front FaceTime camera is now HD as opposed to VGA and as you say, the new one has a lightning connector over the old 30 pin connector.

I wouldn't be annoyed if I were you as the performance difference is unlikely to be realised in reality and the lightning connector is more a reason not to upgrade for most folk. I've got a hd FaceTime camera on my iPhone 5 and am more likely to do FaceTime chats on that so that doesn't bother me really.
  9. rainbow cookies

rainbow cookies Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ^Thanks for your reply. I don't feel so bad now, still would have been nice to enjoy the new-ness for a little while longer.
  10. CAS FAN

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Yeah I know what you mean as I bought an iPad 1 just a couple of months before the iPad 2 came out but I used it perfectly well until the iPad 3 came out. The differences between the iPad launched in March and the iPad which will launch in November is so minimal that you will hardly notice.

To be honest though, I only ever buy Apple stuff at launch as it doesn't go down in price over the lifespan of the product so you get best value buying at that time. That said, I realise that this isn't always an option for everybody.
  11. jg213

jg213 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I'll just add that the 4g on the ipad 4 should work on EE. 4g is not available in the UK on the ipad 3.
  12. Jas H

Jas H Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Not quite. CPU is 2x faster, but the GPU is identical to the 3rd Gen iPad.

It's the smallest upgrade ever to an iPhone/iPad device by Apple.
  13. Soundburst

Soundburst Active Member

Ratings:
    +958
    I wouldn't be disgusted. You have pretty much the same device minus lightning dock.

I'm still disgusted at a replacement iPad 2 which I had for 4 months as my original had its screen come loose. . .having its sleep button die. . .and apple tell me I needed to hand over over 300 quid for a replacement.

My perfect and prestine iPad. . .apple had given me 4 months before. . .neglected and without a fix. They wanted over 300 for a swap instead of just fixing the button. . .or swapping my device for a very low cost as they could easily have taken my iPad for parts.

THAT is disgusting.
  14. CAS FAN

Ratings:
    +3,034
    Ok, to phrase it properly then, the graphic processing is about 2x faster as a result of the improved CPU.

It is a very small upgrade though.
  15. Jonesy012

Jonesy012 Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    I was very close to buying an iPad not a month or two ago. Still a bit uneasy about potentially buying a 4 when the 5 could be out in March.

Is there any news on the 4 being cooler and charging faster? For me those are the big ones. I used my dads for a few games when I went home once and remember having an hour on a game and needing to plug it in. The problem was the cable was so short I had to sit next to the socket anyway!

That reminds me - the new 12W charger... is it longer?
  16. bpsmith

bpsmith Active Member

Ratings:
    +709
    You'll never ever buy on that basis.
  17. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,568
    To lengthen it all you need to do is slide off the UK 3-pronged plug and fit a figure of 8 mains lead.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Jonesy012

Jonesy012 Active Member

Ratings:
    +332
    Thanks, I wouldn't know as I don't own one myself.
  19. Jas H

Jas H Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I doubt it will be longer. But it's hardly a problem. Either use a mains extension lead, or a USB extension lead :smashin:
  20. thestig230

thestig230 Member

Ratings:
    +112
  21. Stiggy

Stiggy Active Member

Ratings:
    +657
  22. Roadkill6mm

Roadkill6mm Member

Ratings:
    +75
    USB extension cables don't work for me. When I plug my ipad mains charger in and run it to the pad via a USB extension it charges, but very slowly. Also when I put the pad to 'sleep' then wake it up it displays 'not charging' at the top. However when I plug the charger into a mains extension plug the the cable into the iPad there are no sleeping charge problems and the battery percentage goes up noticeably quicker.

I wonder if the 10w charger just doesn't have the oomph to cope with the extra cable of the extension. Can't see any other reason as the USB extensions work fine with my iPhone and worked great with my previous Galaxy Tab 2

Neil
  23. Inked

Inked Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,660
    Having ordered a wifi and cellular 4th gen, I've decided that I really don't use it on cellular more than a couple of times a year (mainly when the in-laws wifi is playing up). Guess ill be trying to get hold of a wifi model Friday.
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  24. Dave M

Dave M Active Member

Ratings:
    +479
    Had the email notification that mines been shipped! 32GB Black.
  25. nigelbb

nigelbb Active Member

Ratings:
    +498
    I use a couple of bits of software in addition to iTunes. PhoneView for iPhone and iPad - Save SMS, iMessages, Voicemail, Call History, Music, Photos, Notes - Ecamm Network allows me to move any files to/from the iPhone/iPad even photos & text messages. I also use the Files Pro app which sets up a web server with WebDAV on the iPhone/iPad so that you can just use a browser to drop music or video in a much more convenient way than first dropping in iTunes then synchronising.
  26. Dave M

Dave M Active Member

Ratings:
    +479
    I got my new iPad. I have to say that I love it but it doesn't seem that much faster. It's not twice as fast that's for sure.
  27. splinters69

splinters69 Active Member

Ratings:
    +493
    Will be a while before any apps take full advantage of the extra power. I read that the difference in opening apps etc was minimal.
    Now seriously considering taking mine back to Currys for a refund.
  28. waveydavey13

waveydavey13 Member

Ratings:
    +37

The better camera is only the front facing one not the main one on the rear, so not a deal breaker for the vast majority of users..... And the faster charge is something you can just buy as it's just an uprated charger not the ipad itself that's any different. :smashin:

For me the only real difference between the new ipad and my ipad 3 is the processor but seeing as i bought my ipad 3 with the intention of keeping it at least 2 years even that doesn't bother me really.

Cheers

Dave.
  29. splinters69

splinters69 Active Member

Ratings:
    +493
    Actually the rear camera also got an upgrade with a backlit sensor, the CPU and GPU got upgraded with the latter being better than expected according to engadget today. There is now dual WiFi and the battery life is even better clocking in a around 11 hours+.
  30. leebroath

leebroath Active Member

Ratings:
    +449
    I bought the 4th Gen yesterday and only just opened it at midnight last night

Waited for the backup to merge across and went to bed at 2am

Did have a play on safari and it is much snappier than the 3 on wifi

Now to sell the 3 :)