1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone used InsureTheBox ?

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by suniil, Sep 8, 2010.

1. suniil

suniil Active Member

Ratings:
    +394
    I've to renew my insurance soon and Insurethebox appears to be good. Anyone here has experience with them?

Basically mileage is restricted to 6000 and any more can be bought if necessary. They will fit a GPS device to track the driving habits and mileage (breaking / speed / time of driving / mileage).

I don't drive more than 5000 miles per year, just using the car for domestic purpose only in and around South London.

All looks good on their website, but no reviews in interweb.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks
  2. shahedz

shahedz Active Member

Ratings:
    +928
    I really don't like the idea of that, to me it sounds like it could be used against you more than anything if you ever need to claim on your insurance.

How much % cheaper was it than other quotes that you got?
  3. suniil

suniil Active Member

Ratings:
    +394
    Thanks Shahedz for the reply

insurethebox quote - £610 with £100 compulsory excess
    Barclays (next lowest) - £1100 with £100 compulsory excess

Otherwise

Insure your Motor - £770 with £3000 compulsory excess

.... and I live in Peckham, the box they supply will handy if the car is stolen :cool:
  4. shahedz

shahedz Active Member

Ratings:
    +928
    Wow that is a substantial saving, my only concern is let's say your doing 33mph 10min earlier down a quiet road and then later you have a smack, they could accuse you of speeding etc.

Have you tried bell? They are not on price comparison websites but are, very , very cheap.
  5. the porter

the porter Active Member

Ratings:
    +624
    i use coverbox they are cheaper than the firm you have quoted and you can do monthly payments try them
  6. imightbewrong

imightbewrong Active Member

Ratings:
    +3,878
    But your insurance is not invalidated if you are speeding is it?

I tried to get covered with one of these companies with our Octavia VRS as we do very low mileage, but was told my profession was too risky (software engineer!?!?!) and my car was too risky. Hey ho.
  7. suniil

suniil Active Member

Ratings:
    +394
    Thanks for the tips guys. It's research time again!

me too :smashin:

8. shahedz

shahedz Active Member

Ratings:
    +928
    In all honesty I am not sure if it is or not, but i don't want to give an insurance company a chance to back out.
  9. Benno65

Benno65 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Suniil

I work for insurethebox and whilst I don't want to turn this into a sales pitch, we are very passionate about what we do for young drivers and I would like to try and clarify our position. Insurethebox is really quite different from traditional insurance companies and even other telematics insurance propositions.

The difference is really that intially you’re paying for 6,000 miles only, however, if you need to you are able to top up - a bit like a mobile phone. Although, if you do more than 6,000 miles, you may not need to top up as you can earn extra miles if you drive carefully or if you shop at our customer shopping mall called the "ShoppingBox". Unlike other telematics proposition we don’t charge to fit the box, we don’t impose curfews or charge you more for driving at night. So your price is fixed unless you change your car or move etc. When you renew we assess your premium based on last year’s driving.The better you drive during the previous year the better your renewal premium.

Speeding is a thorny issue but a big part of safety is more about road conditions and appropriate speed, and that is one part of what we look at. We reward you for safe driving.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions I would be happy to help.
  10. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +3,878
    Why do you class Software Engineering as a risky profession? :devil:

(can't remember exactly what I put - but in that area - computer programmer or whatever)
  11. Benno65

Benno65 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

We use industry based statistics to rate occupations, we have to start somewhere basically, although once we have a year of personal driving experience we can rate in on you, not what you do. Interesting a Computer programmer is in the middle of the occupation spectrum along with Insurance Employee, Driving instructor and Economist!!!:thumbsup:
  12. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +3,878
    Thanks for that. Hard to say how to get a year's personal experience if you don't insure me though :)

FYI this is the first time >ever< an insurer has been unable to provide a quote - middle age guy / software engineer / lots of no-claims / no convictions - 'warm' estate (Octavia VRS).

We just took our renewal - might try again next year :)
  13. darkie007

darkie007 Member

Ratings:
    +0