Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone on the SANDY HEATH transmitter having problems?

Discussion in 'Freeview Forum' started by Matt_C, Feb 18, 2008.

1. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +771
    Last night, around this time, I lost nearly all channels (cept a few BBC ones) and just had "NO SIGAL" showing for at leat an hour, after which I stopped bothering to try and watch TV and watched a DVD instead

Tonight I am having the same problem again :mad: Got a few BBC channels still working, Dave stopped about half an hour ago, now Virgin 1 has gone, flicked through and the music channels, the ITV channels, Sky 3 etc all NO SIGNAL

It's very annoying!

Just wondered it anyone else on the Sandy Heath transmitter is having the same problems as last thim this happened I ran about checking all connections inside and out to log on here and find out it was the transmitter at fault.....
  2. mrfreeview

mrfreeview Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't see any problems last night and do't seem to have any problems tonight.

Saying that whilst I am on the fringe from Sandy Heath I do have a robust engineered solution to receive DVB-T.
  3. bobmeades

bobmeades Member

Ratings:
    +1
    It's the weather conditions Matt, with a high pressure area over the UK & Europe the ducting effect causes more distant stations to interfere with your local one. Sometimes the broadcasters try reducing power....then the fringe area loses the local signals completley! They never tell the viewers that they have reduced power of course!
    I was watching BBC local news from the west country lunchtime today. It will all return to normal in a couple of days when low pressure moves in! If you have been trying to retune your Box today, you will need to retune again when things return to normal.
    Bob
  4. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +771
    Nah not been trying to retune, cos it's just not picking any signal up! I've got BBC 1, 2, 3 + 4, Sky Three + E4+1, oh and BBC News 24 and thats it.

I will wanna record CSI on 5 tommorrow, but I bet I can't!
  5. sdu1975

sdu1975 Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I'm in Sheffield using Emley moor and have exactly the same problem.

I miss my SKY so much..........
  6. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +771
    Shortly after my last post I lost ALL channels, even BBC One, much to my dissapointment considering I was recording "Life In Cold Blood", which when I watched it back missed about 8-10mins :(

I appreciate that weather is a factor beyond the control of broadcasters, but they need to do something about the power at which the transmissions are broadcast, cos it's not fair to have to pay for something (the TV licence) in order to watch TV, and all you get to see is a blank screen with NO SIGNAL plastered across it!

Strangely, for the past half hour, all channels are back and it seems, with no faults....

Think I will have to look into this Freesat service when it comes online this spring and maybe go for that - no idea if it will be as susceptible to problems like this tho.....
  7. davemitch

davemitch Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had problems yesterday afternoon, (Monday), just about to go and set up my in laws new Sony Bravia and spotted my TV had No Signal, also daughter's Bravia upstairs just had a few channels. It all came back an hour later, then this afternoon, no signal again, and it's still the same. Just getting a few odd channels, The Hits, Ideal World, Virgin 1. Oldest's Bravia is getting a signal, but youngest's Tosh is badly breaking up. That's the order of distance from the Aerial. Surprised I've not had any relatives ringing saying they are having problems, but I am in a difficult position, behind the hospital 7 storey nurse's home. I'm 29 miles from Sandy, but I think this is technically a fringe area especially for digital.
  8. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +771
    I too am 29miles from the Sandy transmitter aswell, and interestingly, according to this site - CLICK - I am not in the recepetion area anyway! When I had the aerial installed, the installer couldn't get anything from Crystal Palace, which is 23miles away and according to the above site, I "should" get reception from cos I am in it's coverage zone!

So very strange... Been out all day, so no idea what it was like earlier, but it's working now. Hope it stays working as I want to record CSI later on (as I like to watch it on chase play so I can skip the ads!)
  9. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +771
    Nope, gone again [​IMG]
  10. Matt_C

Matt_C Active Member

Ratings:
    +771
    Great, signal f'up so erratic it's screwed my recording of CSI that it won't even playback [​IMG]

Fortunately I had the common sense yesterday to download the episode and was still able to watch it, but it's not the point! It's still paying for something then not getting it! It's like paying for broadband but only getting "this page cannot be displayed" on every site you go to [​IMG]
  11. uno

uno Member

Ratings:
    +92
    My brother lives in Market Harborough and gets his TV from Sandy Heath and again last few days he has no digital tv and very weak analogue. So must be a combination of the weather and transmitter on lower power.
  12. HiTracey

HiTracey Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I live in East Northamptonshire and Sandy Heath has been a nightmare for a couple of weeks. On digital terrestrial I can get BBC channels without too much difficulty, but ITV is either poor quality or there is no/bad signal. I never experienced such protracted problems with the old technology
  13. Richardmac

Richardmac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a one year old LCD TV - work's perfectly on Freeview. Just bought a new Panasonic LCD I can get Freeview channels in the 40's but not channel 67 - i.e. MUX B - it says poor signal but the rest are fine. Any suggestions? :lease:
  14. Phlog

Phlog Member

Ratings:
    +173
    Many people are currently having problems. There are lots of variables - in your case it could just be because of the different sensitivities of different bits of kit.

Or the aerial arrangements you've made. Do both TVs feed off the same aerial? If not make sure the second one is high enough, pointing in the right direction, has a new down lead etc etc.

If they do share the same aerial, how have you connected them? Remember the Freeview signal is very low and can be degraded just by using the in and out sockets offered by various bits of kit.

Incidentally, welcome to the AVForums. It would probably have been better to have started a new thread.

If you do a search you'll find all sorts of Freeview reception problems and suggested ways of fixing them :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  15. pedanticboy

pedanticboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Although this reply is some months from the original post, I've only just found the thread after searching the web.

Having gone through the problem of previously owning a Daewoo Set Pal Freeview box that can no longer receive any Freeview channels, I now own a new & recommended (Digital Tick) Freeview box.

All was fine until about 2 weeks ago when all ITV & other independent channels started to play up (ITV1,ITV2, ITV3 CH4, E4 etc) but all BBC stations were still full signal (including the 'hidden' BBC ones: Dave, UK TV).

The last fews days, I get no signal on all the ITV & independents but all BBC ones are still full signal.

Just spoken to Digital UK and have been informed that 'work' is being carried out on the Sandy Heath transmitter. GRRRRRRRRR!
  16. pedanticboy

pedanticboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    p.s.

Just to add, all the problem channels are those on UHF45.
  17. scribbler101

scribbler101 Member

Ratings:
    +118
    That's probably the one they are working on!

Don't fortget each frequency has its own transmitter and aerial. If you check on wolfbane, sometimes the ERP (power) varies and AOD (height) differs because one ae higher up the pole.
  18. smjxm09

smjxm09 Member

Ratings:
    +89
    No channel 5 for me
  19. techieboy

techieboy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks gawd. I'm not alone. Channel 5 and it's other digital channels have disappeared for me, at some point today. It's only manifested itself on my Vista Media Centre box and seems fine on my Humax PVR and the other TV's in the house with integrated Freeview tuners. I've tried rescanning for extra channels and reconfiguring the twin tuners from scratch to see if they picked up anything but no joy. It's like they're all missing from the downloaded configs for Sandy Heath and the EPG.

Vista did download and install a big batch of last night/this morning. Wonder if that did anything....
  20. vex

vex Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    I am sure the engineers working on the transmitter are glad the power is turned down and hopefully they have finished making babies!

V.
  21. scribbler101

scribbler101 Member

Ratings:
    +118
    I don't think radio waves are teratogenic, but they can certainly be shocking.

You would think these days there would be an official "Transmitter Status" website - but I think not?

Are people who receive this tx called "Sandy Heathens"?
  22. vex

vex Active Member

Ratings:
    +279
    You can go up there and work on it then.

RF are deffinately dangerous (I'll have to google that big word :) ) My dean of engineering at uni (15 years ago) used to heat his pies in Radar wave guides.

Even working in front of large satellite dishes for long periods of time is not recommended.

V.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  23. scribbler101

scribbler101 Member

Ratings:
    +118
    "My dean of engineering at uni (15 years ago) used to heat his pies in Radar wave guides."

I wonder if it would be possible to use this technique in a domestic setting?
  24. radioredcat

radioredcat Member

Ratings:
    +75
  25. scribbler101

scribbler101 Member

Ratings:
    +118
    No; I haven't got vertigo.

I live quite close.

Great clip - I won't spoil it for others by mentioning how it ends.

Talking of university - almost 40 years ago I was secretary of the Cambridge University Physics Society - main duty to arrange weekly lectures. One of my best was Prof Nicholas Kurti who brought along a prototype microwave oven and demonstrated what it could do!.
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2008