Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone know how to get out of an Orange Contract

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones' started by BenchyUK, Jun 10, 2008.

1. BenchyUK

BenchyUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,302
    Hey

I went into phones4u back in January and after some harsh sales tacktics found myself leaving with an LG Viewty on an expensive £35 a month contract

I know it's my own fault but does anyone know of any clever ways to get out of a contract without buying yourself out?

Apparently i can freeze my contract for 6 months and say i'm out of the country but that will still leave me with 7 months of this terrible 18 month contract

I don't even like the phone
  2. seatibizamcass

seatibizamcass New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would advise sell your phone on here in best condition possible or on ebay then with the money you get ring up orange and pay whatever you get for the phone onto your account. By yourself a cheap phone and use the orange sim card for its minutes and txts and also try to reduce your monthly price plan say you have lost your job etc will allow them to at least reduce your price plan by a fiver
  3. Phunky

Phunky Member

Ratings:
    +167
    If you had gone back within 2 weeks of getting it you could have just giving it back but its not like 6 months on, so you stuck with it.

Only thing you can do is as stated above sell the phone on and try and get your tariff reduced im guessing you want to end the contract as you want to go get another FREE phone?

Cut it down, pay it off and learn your lesson
  4. BenchyUK

BenchyUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,302
    All i want is a cheap PAYG phone as what i get in my contract is a waste of money
  5. Member 284564

Member 284564 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Unfortunatly, the only way out of your contract is to either pay it off in one go , or to pay it every month untill you can cancel it at the end of it's term.

Call orange, and get the tariff reduced to the lowest possible.
  6. stormjai

stormjai Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm in similar position with 3..

haver been with them for 18 months...was offered upgrade to HTC TyTn2 with further 18 month extension...3 weeks ago

Have not even turned phone on yet...

Customer service (complete Joke!!) said no chance of returning/ cancelling contract..!!

Any options?? - definately won't be staying with them after this...

Ta
  7. BenchyUK

BenchyUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,302
    Yep, i'm expecting a call from them about that, as they said they would be looking at doing that at the beginning on June. I'm paying a rediculous £35. I may try and get it down to £25 a month.

I'd love the new iphone but the problem i have is that i prefer to email people rather than chat or text on a phone
  8. BenchyUK

BenchyUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,302
    Orange are really lating the **** now. They told me to call in the beginning of the 5th month which i did this morning. Told them i had 'lost my job' to see if that helps but they simply weren't interested and that they couldn't see about reducing my montly payments until the 9 month which is half way through the contract:thumbsdow
  9. hutch

hutch Active Member

Ratings:
    +958
    Why's that? You signed a contract back in January and are now trying to wriggle out of it. You had a cooling off period when you bought the phone its not Oranges fault that you didnt take it.
  10. BenchyUK

BenchyUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,302
    I'm trying to get out of it becuase

1. They are charging me for Calls and Texts which are meant to be included in my contract

2. I simply can't afford this much a month for a what i'm actually using.

I understand if i'm locked itno a contract but they could at least help me out by seeing that i'm not using anywhere near my allowance and re-adjusting my contract accordingly.

I've already caught Phones4u out as they decided to start charging me £10 for a phone warrenty which i never agreed to. I quickly came down hard on them about that
  11. BBB05

BBB05 Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Orange have done nothing wrong, can't believe you are complaining, at the end of the day a contract is a contract.
  12. kayzee

kayzee Member

Ratings:
    +31
    I've had this too, and my £36 a month turned into £118... they gave me £30 back as a gesture of good will :thumbsdow but still wasnt happy

This however, is only your fault! You should know what you can afford, Orange can't predict this...
  13. tony36

tony36 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid you need to read the small print. Usually after a certain amount of time (check your contract) you can reduce the tariff. Sometimes you can only go down one tariff at a time (I had this with vodafone) but you could reduce your tariff every month until it is as low as you can get. Still stuck in your contract, I agree, but paying a lot less. Worth a try?
  14. Sy1441

Sy1441 Active Member

Ratings:
    +207
    Orange are a business, not a charity mate.

You've happilly taken the piece of expensive hardware from them and agreed to a monthly fee. Now your slating them because your dont want to stick to the terms you signed up to.

As for the calls charged it may be worthwhile checking that the deal P4U signed you up to is the same one as what orange have you on as P4U are well known in the industry for being sharks.
  15. ant_cfc

ant_cfc Member

Ratings:
    +63
    I've got around 6 months of my £35 a month Orange contract. Is paying 6 lots of £35 the only way to cancel this contract? I've no problems with the contract but would like to get the new iphone.
  16. Mooney

Mooney Member

Ratings:
    +12
    If you've only got 6 months left I would suggest dropping your tariff down to the minimum tariff think it's about £15,
    Then you would only have 6 x £15 to pay out.
  17. ant_cfc

ant_cfc Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks for the reply. Wouldn't something get flagged up in this situation? i.e. I've been paying £35 a month for the past year then suddenly want to drop to £15 and immediately try to buy out my contract at this cut price?
  18. Mooney

Mooney Member

Ratings:
    +12
    No I've done it many times.
    I usually ring them up drop my contract leave it a month or so Then ring to cancel your contract.
    In the mean time there nothing stopping you getting the iphone you don't have to use your Orange Sim (Contract).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. ant_cfc

ant_cfc Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks, will give them a call tonight.

I'm after the new 16GB model which is going for well over £400 on ebay at the moment so it's in my best interests to pay the 6 x £15 to get out of my contract then hop on the £35 a month 02 contract and pay £159 for the iphone.

If I buy my contract out like this do I keep the phone I got with the contract? It's an N95 so could sell it for around £100.
  20. BenchyUK

BenchyUK Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,302
    I think i'll be dropping my contract to the minimum next month which is my 9th month. Wait a month and buy myself out.

Apparently there's an admin fee to pay too but i don't know if that's true or how much
  21. Mooney

Mooney Member

Ratings:
    +12
    The phone is yours from day one.

There's no admin fee all you have to pay is the remainder of your contract.
  22. tony79

tony79 Member

Ratings:
    +91
    You should get to keep the phone as youve paid the minimum term of the contract when you buy yourself out
  23. smokedog

smokedog Active Member

Ratings:
    +168
    I use to do the tariff drop trick years ago. Get an expensive handset for free on high tariff and drop it to the cheapest one.

But not done it was a while as they put in T&Cs in place to stop such things.

You can only drop your tariff to the next down per month, ie your on £35 you jump down to £30. Also I have heard there's £15 admin charge but I think at their discretion.
  24. Mooney

Mooney Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Nonsense,
    Once your over halfway through your contract you can jump straight down to the minimum tariff.
    I should know I do it often enough. The T&C State you cant lower your tariff before the halfway point, 6 Months on a 12 Month and 9 month on a 18 month contract.
  25. ant_cfc

ant_cfc Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Will give Orange a call tonight and see what they say, so you think I'm within my rights to drop to their lowest tariff given that I'm 11 months into an 18 month contract?
  26. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Active Member

Ratings:
    +230
    Didn't know you could lower your tariff half way through a contract, that said I did lower a 3 contract at one point.
    I'm in a similar situation just over 11 months into an 18 month contract wuth Orange, tariff is good but I really want a PDA and I'm stuck between an iPhone 3G and the HTC TyYN II.
  27. ant_cfc

ant_cfc Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Just got off the phone to Orange and I could only drop down 1 price plan each month. So am down to £30 this month and will go down to £25 next month.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Active Member

Ratings:
    +230
    Well I guess I will be in the same boat then, not idea really but I think I will go for it anyway,

Chris
  29. smokedog

smokedog Active Member

Ratings:
    +168
    :rolleyes: Who's talking of nonsense now?

In ya face! Mahoney! :D
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2008
  30. Mooney

Mooney Member

Ratings:
    +12
    :oops:

It Must be me who's special :D
    Every time I have dropped down at the back-end of my contract I have been able to drop straight to the lowest tariff. And I have been on Vodafone, O2, Orange....
    Think it could be a matter of luck then, Depends on who you talk to.... I stand corrected :clown: :blush: :clown: