Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else think N64 is most underated console ever?

Discussion in 'Nintendo Wii & DS Forums' started by robfosters, May 8, 2008.

1. brillantsilas

brillantsilas Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I think the goldeneye quote is no longer relevant. Goldeneye was a great game at the time and for a long time after release. But now it's an ugly mess from the the early 3D era. The controls and visuals are awful and AI very basic. It still plays ok but I wouldn't see much reason to return to it, time has been cruel to even the best games from this era.
  2. QBSBuck

QBSBuck Active Member

Ratings:
    +209
    All true, but I still get strange urges when I drive past security camera's ;) And what other game's AI gets the baddies to line up to jump on a grenade :D (Not to mention their acting skills when the grenade went off. Very Carry On.)
  3. maxcovergold

maxcovergold Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Obviously there's a strong agrument whether other consoles, and most notably older nintendo ones were more significant... but I can say with absolute certainly, the N64 is my favourite console of all time. I had the most fun with it and it was the most mind blowing! Playing Mario 64 for the first time was jaw dropping for everyone. Goldeneye was... tbh, nothing need be said about Goldeneye, it was just... ISS for footy fans was by far the best on N64 and a massive step up from previous footy games, the list goes on. And as much as current games have moved so far on, noteably online play which is a whole new thing, N64 was the most groundbreaking for me, and couldn't have had a better way of not doing any of my high school homework...
  4. drandika

drandika Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Only a few great games, but they were great:
    Goldeneye, perfect dark, conkers bad fur day, mario kart, and teh zeldas...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. danielj88

danielj88 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Love the 64. Goldeneye will always be one of my favourite games. Not too keen on the remake.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  6. potty27

potty27 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Zelda was and still is one of my fav games, the story was amazing.

N64 had better games than the GC imo
  7. RyanBTBizDirect

RyanBTBizDirect Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I actually quite miss my Sega. I remember just how thrilled I was when Sonic came out in 3D.
  8. semiskimmed

semiskimmed Active Member

Ratings:
    +213
    i dont think it was tbh. only had a couple of games i really enjoyed (goldeneye and wetrix, though the latter did come out for the dreamcast, now that was a great console indeed!)
  9. morgan00

morgan00 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    The Nintendo 64 had some brilliant games and excellent graphics for the time. Shame in Europe and America it came out almost a year later than the Playstation. Which meant it had a smaller user base and therefore the playstation always looked like it sold a lot more when it came to games. It also cost more to develop for, CD production cost something like 50p per disc at the time when mass produced, where as a Nintendo 64 cartridge cost something like £8 per cartridge. When producing games more profit was made per game sold on the Playstation and this put a lot of small developers off. It also meant there were way more games available for the Playstation.
  10. BigBarryJazz

BigBarryJazz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Definitely one of my favourite consoles. It benefited a lot from being around during Rare's golden age. The only one of their games I didn't get was Diddy Kong Racing. I even forked out the £60 they were demanding for Conker.

I think I'm now going to have to dig it out of its box. What to play first though? Hmm, I think I'll go with Rogue Squadron.
  11. chibi-sama

chibi-sama Member

Ratings:
    +1
    brings back great memories from my childhood... zelda ocarina of time... super mario kart 64 that really got me into the nintendo from then on I got a gamecube -> wii
  12. toorks

toorks Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i still have mine and the games still look great, well relatively against what wii graphics are capable of,lol!
  13. ChrisSmack

ChrisSmack Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The N64 is probably my favourite console ever (and I have had a lot), but i'm not sure how much of that love is due to the console and its games, or the fact I was 10-15 and I spent a lot of time playing multiplayer with my friends.
  14. China

China Member

Ratings:
    +0
    in my opinion N64 > Wii
  15. GreenBars

GreenBars Member

Ratings:
    +26
    I got my daughters' UK N64 out of the garage this weekend (after sitting in there since we moved four years ago) and gave it a good clean up today. It will be plugged in tonight and Super Mario 64 will grace the screen again.

I have a Japanese N64 (also sitting in the garage), which I bought when I lived there. I'll be making some space on my AV rack soon, which it will occupy. I used to import games from the US (Ocarina of Time, Goldeneye) and bought a few Japanese ones (Shadows of the Empire, Turok) - my wife, who is Japanese, used to translate the bits I couldn't understand!
  16. SNUK10

SNUK10 New Member

Ratings:
    +23
    I had both PS1 and N64. Never really played the N64 since good games were so few. Titles already mentioned were the only games worth playing i.e for the console there was probably less than 10 games that was very good. How can the N64 be underrated with such a poor game catalogue?

I remember playing Zelda walking around blowing that flute thinking this isnt a patch on Metal Gear Solid where I had to change the controller port to beat a boss or to take diazepam to ensure that successful sniper headshot. The N64 just didnt have the games to be the greatest console nor did it have the best game which in my opinion was MGS.
  17. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,029
    I dont think it was underrated. I agree with SNUK that there wasnt a great deal of AAA titles imo.

Dont get me wrong i enjoyed the titles i did play and Goldeneye was possibly the best game i played in that generation on any console. But i think i only did play about 10 titles that i thought were superb.

Oh and MGS was fantastic. Just a bit too short!
  18. Member 513627

Member 513627 Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Nintendo 64 is definitely not underrated in my opinion, plenty of people I know rate it as one of the best.

It's easily my favourite console ever, spending the christmas holidays playing the legend of zelda after playing in the snow was immense.
  19. rovex

rovex Member

Ratings:
    +29
    Love it, after all these years mine is still working fine. It's my second favourite console ever after the Dreamcast which sadly broke like So many others...

It's a shame however that nintendo has lost their way with the wii, but luckily after hearing "project Cafe" i sense the mojo coming back!
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  20. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    most underrated console is definitely the dreamcast
  21. addyb

addyb Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,029
    Thing is jonney I don't think it was underrated. Everyone who owned or still does own one loves it. Me included. It was a sad day when sega announced they were giving up on the hardware side. Id love it if sega were still in the mix console wise. Alas those days have gone! :(
  22. blackjacka

blackjacka Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I still love the Nintendo 64 controller. Although it did practically give me a mangled thumb in that one Mario Kart game that required paddling be controlled via analogue stick.
  23. Ickle Yoda1

Ickle Yoda1 Member

Ratings:
    +75
    This was probably the console I was most excited about. Following it from its "project reality" days. Playing killer instinct and cruisin USA as these were supposed to give a preview of the console they would run on. All good stuff.

Then it came...I was on holiday in England and found a game shop that had a Japanese model imported. They were charging £1 for a game of Mario 64 and that was the rest of my hols gone lol.

I got one on release day and still remember loads about it. Mario 64 and pilotwings I bought and too this day still don't think there has been a more enjoyable and impressive game as Mario 64.

I don't think I had a lot of games for it. Mario kart and goldeneye were the other 2 I liked and sadly I got rid of it just before zelda was released. Resident evil remake looked great on it too.

That was the last Nintendo console I would truly say I loved. The GameCube was disappointing and so was the wii in my eyes. I doubt anything will blow me away as much as Mario 64 did when it was released, probably due to the age I was then too but was truly amazing
  24. Rock Da Bass

Rock Da Bass Active Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Loved the N64.

Super Mario 64
    Banjo Kazooie
    Goldeneye
    Wave Race
    Ocarina of Time
    1080 Snowboarding

all amazing

Plus Mario Kart, Starfox etc etc
  25. windymillers

windymillers Member

Ratings:
    +62
    Golden eye one of the best games ever... especially fps ones
  26. Lin3ar

Lin3ar Active Member

Ratings:
    +635
    Yeah, I remember being hugely hyped for the N64 release.

I got a jap import. With sm64 a couple of days after the official Japanese release.

It cost me a small fortune but it was well worth it.

SM64 remains one if the greatest games I have ever played.
  27. QBSBuck

QBSBuck Active Member

Ratings:
    +209
    N64! Queued for Zelda Ocarina of Time! Well worth it Link.
  28. guttersnipez

guttersnipez Member

Ratings:
    +21
    was tetrisphere on the n64 great game but the best bit was its sound track absolutely fantastic
  29. safcalibur

safcalibur Active Member

Ratings:
    +949
  30. ocelot20

ocelot20 Member

Ratings:
    +107
    I loved the N64 but I think the PSone and Dreamcast where better.