Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else hitting the stock markets

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Mr_Wistles, Aug 9, 2011.

1. duffy78

duffy78 Member

Ratings:
    +77
    BZT up again, 4% this morning. Imminent Copper mine sale.

DYOR etc, etc.
  2. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    I am back in on Barcap @ 1.49.
  3. imightbewrong

imightbewrong Active Member

Ratings:
    +4,237
    So what makes you think that is a good point? History? News? Gut? Fundemental Valuation? 8-ball?
  4. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    Gut, having worked there in the past and the HSBC broker collation chart all showing strong buy or buy with no sells.
  5. mrapbp

mrapbp Active Member

Ratings:
    +181
    Have never done anything with shares so have just signed up for a share account. Will try it out with £1000 and see how I get on.

All decent tips gratefully received!!
  6. domtheone

domtheone Active Member

Ratings:
    +827
    Had a quick peep this am.

There's a few FTSE100 stocks with stonking yields (5,6,7,8%) that would make a nice little earner for those with a long term view. I'll be drip feeding into them for the next few years as I expect general carnage for years to come.
  7. Moldiver

Moldiver Member

Ratings:
    +113
    Been doing ok with the tradefair demo account as it's not my money but seems you would need a decent deposit into the account to make it worth while?

Need to wrap my head around the lay betting on betfair, still don't get it. Downloaded geektoy and that although somethings became more clear i had even more questions lol. Maybe once i stick some cash in the account and give it ago i'll learn more.
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  8. pandemic

pandemic Active Member

Ratings:
    +344
    Depends how much you buy, at those yields investing too little would amount to about the broker charges, if the initial investment was in the hundreds. I'll have to find my chart, it portrays how much yield (minus the broker fees) is required to make a profit vs the initial investment.
  9. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +781
    well apples made me £500 over a month- shame its fake and i dont have a real 10k to invest!
  10. qwerty321

qwerty321 Active Member

Ratings:
    +968
    What fantasy stock market software/sites to people use? Would love to try one.

Also, when you go bust, can you start from scratch?
  11. Moldiver

Moldiver Member

Ratings:
    +113
    I'm looking at betfair the now during the tennis using geektoy, if i were to back someone to win the first set, £2 gets me 20p but if i change the odds i can raise my money, if i raise it to high and click the bet icon does me bet just get rejected because i am asking for stupid odds?

If i am way off topic just let me know and i will shut up :)
  12. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +4,237
    If you place a bet that is not at the current price then it becomes an order that is executed when the spot moves there. So say you want to back at 3:1 but the best odds are 2:1 - your order will sit there, then if the odds start to drift (reacting to news, whatever), when someone offers (lays) 3:1 you will execute.

At least, IIRC :)
  13. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +4,237
    Well it depends on how much leverage you want. The more you have the more quickly you make money, and the more quickly you lose it. e.g. you could put £1000 in the account and 'buy' £10,000 of stock. If that stock goes down 10% you have lost your £1000 and you are out. If it goes up 10% you have double your money. That is 10x leverage. If you used no leverage then you would use that £1K to buy £1K of stocks, then down 10% means lose £100 and you are still in.

Basically the more leverage you have the quicker you lose all your money :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. Grangey.

Grangey. Active Member

Ratings:
    +781
    halifax fantasy traider.... and I doubt it..!
  15. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +4,237
  16. spikeyjac

spikeyjac Active Member

Ratings:
    +391
    I'm interested in doing this, however, I don't have much money, that I'd be willing to 'gamble'!
    Can I make any money at all, with only a little bit :p
    Any recommendations?!
  17. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +4,237
    I think there's been a few posts on this but you really need a fair wack to make it worthwhile - depends if you actually want to make money or just have a bit of fun - I would have said £1K per stock is a realistic minimum, remembering you have a fixed overhead of about £20 per buy/sell.
  18. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +4,237
    I might just be slow on the uptake, but Google Finance now seems to have non-delayed prices for LSE stocks.

Anyone got any good tips? :) Anyone trading? My portfolio is ticking along okay - up a bit but not very exciting. Got a few doing well (20-40% in four months) which I'm letting run. Still got some unallocated cash waiting for good leads :)
  19. domtheone

domtheone Active Member

Ratings:
    +827
    Not trading. Just waiting. Most of my portfolio has done well over the winter but the whole market has pretty much. Even Lloyds is up over 60% but 60% of nothing is, well nothing. Still a couple of decades for that one to come good lol.

Would have said RKH (rising again right now) a while back (I bought in at 200p a few months back - sadly just a few quid but just about doubled my cash now) but it's had a good run and who knows now. Depends on newsflow.
  20. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +4,237
    RKH like it was a good buy - what gave you that?
  21. domtheone

domtheone Active Member

Ratings:
    +827
    Just browing the ADVFN site and news stories in the Media back last year. Was quite a big deal for Oil to be found down there. Just waiting on further news now which, if using the SP is a guide, should be quite good.

Unlike many a small time Oil explorer, they had actually found some oil and given that the SP was marked down during the wider market collapse last year, thought i'd have a dabble.

Though not for the faint hearted, these small oil stocks so if you can afford to lose a few quid, worth the chance to double/triple/quadruple your money relatively quickly if all goes well.

In excitement, it beats having to wait 20 years for Lloyds shares to recover hands down.:D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Pocket

Pocket Member

Ratings:
    +50
    I was thinking of trading, but the opportunity was back in December. I've been keeping an eye on RRL, but missed the boat on it as it has shot up to 13p from 7p in mid December. Oil stocks have been soaring lately. Anyone in GKP? I left at £1.78 because I thought there would be time to get back in.

One of my stocks has doubled in the same time frame, but I am still holding as they're a good company and the rise just made me break even. It took a major hammering from last year, especially the Fukushima disaster; they dropped from 10/11p to 1.78p after Fukushima! :eek: Currently trying to break the 5p barrier.

CNR I've been lightly trading for the last year, but I am mainly holding. About 10-20% up on it. Most boring share though as it has been at 6p level for pretty much the entire year, apart from one or two spikes and a small drift south to 4.5p in Aug/Sept. Hoping for a major correction sometime around April-May, when it is expected to hit 2moz of gold from its current 1.6/7moz.

I've decided to stop trading for the time being and just hold. Portfolio is nearly break even now!
  23. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +4,237
    My main winners have been OXIG (up 40%) and DVO (up 25% - make £1K on this one today alone, thanks to the results yesterday). Also made a bit range-trading ARM between 520 and 620. Also done a bit of leveraged FTSE trading - don't have anythng open at the moment though on that. have some oil in KENZ which is doing ok - c.14% - has been higher though - really looking for this one to pick up a bit.

Got a few others which are bobbling along - might get cut over to something else.
  24. Deadringers

Deadringers Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,761
    My lloyds stocks are up 22 odd % and also my Nautical Petroleum Shares are up 10%.

not bad for a couple of months.
  25. domtheone

domtheone Active Member

Ratings:
    +827
    :D

Yes it's not too bad.

Had I had the spare cash (i'm in the middle of a career break at the mo and about to head off to Asia so investing in the markets has taken a back seat!) then I might have got a few more Lloyds a few months back when they were around 20p!

60% odd increase in 3-4 months ish.

Like I said earlier, i'll have to wait a good 20 years for my existing shares (need north of £1!) to come good again. I may consider trading them on a shorter term next year as that'll be the only way I can get back to break even quicker.

My few shares in RKH are up nearly 100% in the last few months. If I had as much in them as I have in Lloyds, i'd be well chuffed and it'd be paying for all of my holidays!
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  26. SIRUSKEY

SIRUSKEY Active Member

Ratings:
    +132
    How much cash did you start your portfolio with? Or what would be the least starting amount/?

Im getting married next year so I have naff all spare cash but I would normally save £150 ish a month.
  27. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +4,237
    @domtheone

You never heard of a stop-loss? :)
  28. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +4,237
    Depends on your goals. Trade costs are usually fixed at about £10 each, so to buy a stock and sell it again that's £20 - so for a single company purchase you would be looking about £1K as a realistic minumum IMO - £20 is 2% of that, meaning your stock has to go up 2% to break even. If it's not a very liquid stock (even sub FTSE 100) the spread is wider meaning it has to go up even more. I did my first trade at £2K last year, but with small stakes the rewards are small. e.g. if that goes up 10% - a reasonable return - you net £180 - possibly also minus stamp-duty on the buy. So with smaller investments you still need to spend the time doing the research and monitoring the shares - you need to judge if the returns are worth it.
  29. domtheone

domtheone Active Member

Ratings:
    +827
    Yep.

Could have saved me a few times lol.

For any newbies. Tis very important:laugh:

I've/I'd been buying Lloyds shares for years (over 10) and just stuck them away as an eventual little income (say pension).

During the crash I wasn't really monitoring things etc etc as what I had was for the long term. By the time I got around to it, it was too late and not worth selling (ok could have sold at 50p and bought back at 20p in hindsight). Thanks a bunch to Eric Daniels and Gordon Brown:smashin:

They're written off in my portfolio now to zero value. Lesson learned, never again and all that. Just be a bonus if they're worth anything (they should start paying a small div soon which I may reinvest) in 20 years though I doubt it as banks will never be stock market darlings again, not in my lifetime.

Worse things happen at sea:rolleyes:
  30. imightbewrong

Ratings:
    +4,237
    I have quite a chunky portfolio now - and I watch it like a hawk :)