Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone bought from 'Buyacamera.co.uk'?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Digihoho, Sep 21, 2008.

1. Digihoho

Digihoho Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi, been checking online for the best price on the Panasonic LX3 and Buyacamera.co.uk seems to be the cheapest at £299 plus shipping, has anyone bought from them before? Grey imports or stock from UK main distributors? Cheers.
  2. solidamber

solidamber Member

Ratings:
    +132
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Adcook

Adcook Active Member

Ratings:
    +681
    I bought a Minolta (I forget the model) as a present a while back, had no problems with them.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. springtide

springtide Active Member

Ratings:
    +441
    Got my Sony A700 from them, no problems at all - delivered next day and it was UK.

I have heard about grey imports, so maybe worth asking before parting with your money.

Looks like 'Customer Care' might be an issue from the reviews.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2008
  5. Digihoho

Digihoho Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks for the replies, looks like they are good sometimes and bad too. Customer service hit and miss with some people and bit worrying about boxes being opened and missing items ie no lens cap, instructions in foreign languages etc. Anyway, I think will look elsewhere to buy the LX3, Amazon/Warehouseexpress have it for £340, small premium for peace of mind! Cheers.
  6. Ikki

Ikki Member

Ratings:
    +100
    UKDigital LX3 £329 and a reliable company.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Digihoho

Digihoho Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Great price and read good feedbacks on them. Also can pop over to their store in Clitheroe (not far from Manchester) to buy too.

I am kinda waiting to see how the Canon G10 will perform before deciding, also interesting to hear the Olympus have just announced that they are doing a micro 4/3 camera perhaps looking like the classic Olympus RC/SP:thumbsup:
  8. Ikki

Ikki Member

Ratings:
    +100
    Yes, I live about half a mile from UKDigital and have bought lots of cameras from them.

The Oly camera looks interesting but it's just a mock up, so who knows how long it will be.
  9. amuneer

amuneer Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Never used them. However seen them do some really good offers. Look up their user ratings in google product search
  10. scottydog101

scottydog101 Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Yes I used them to buy a sony a200 with no trouble at all, arrived the next day as they said it would.
  11. Sulli69

Sulli69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They sold me a grey import
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  12. Zone

Zone Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,513
    You must be very careful making allegations on a public forum as it is considered libel and must be proven beyond doubt!

Other people have used the company without issue!

Having read your other thread, the cost of the camera has been refunded but carriage costs haven't!

It's regrettable that you are having issues getting these monies repaid but that does not make the company dodgy!

Follow the correct channels and good luck!
  13. Sulli69

Sulli69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    They sold me a grey import
  14. senu

senu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,979
    Sulli69
    Im sorry that you have
    • Been sold an item buy a company which verbally and on the website misrepresented them as not "grey"
    • Have become out of pocket due to non refund of carriage costs
    • Been through some hassle to get this ( partial) refund

Thankfully you have got most of your outlay
    What you have established is that it would seem that in correspondence to you and on the website there was no indication that you were going to get a " grey" item, the implication of which is difficulty in using an EU warranty if it needed to be fixed
    Clearly, they didn't get it right with you despite other folks good experiences
    Thanks for sharing

Have a Good Christmas:)
  15. pwood

pwood Member

Ratings:
    +147
    I bought my first Canon Ixus from them 7 years ago and just bought my Panny G2 from them in august with no issues and next day delivery. FWIW my Panasonic qualified for the £30 cashback which confirmed to me it was a UK model.
  16. quietman18

quietman18 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I recently bought a Nkon camera off them(buyacamera). There were several items missing from the box; the camera software,quick start guide and warranty. The user manual came as a cd, no hard copy. I only got the software back. There is a checklist on the outside of the box if you buy a dslr, not sure about compacts. Make sure you tick off everthing from the list.

So beware!
  17. deathstardisko

deathstardisko New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do not buy from this website! Poor customer service, shady sourcings, grey imports, AVOID!
    Poor communication was had when requesting information on warranties. Two days running I was told I would be called back once I started asking about UK warranty. One of these times include the salesperson (PAUL) telling me that he would get the person I had spoken to on the previous day (which was him) to call me back. Did I receive a response? Of course not. Finally I got an answer regarding the question (although I can hardly refer to it as being a straight answer), with him telling me that the item (Canon 600d w/ 18-55) would come with a warranty from Canon UK. I decided to go ahead and order as it was one of the better prices I had seen (£530 I thought reasonable if the product was indeed through UK distribution). Confirmation email was received but not followed up with an email regarding delivery as promised. I received no further correspondence from them. Finally I rang them up to ask for an explanation to which I was told my order couldn't be fulfilled, although I checked the website whilst on the phone only to see the very same product was in stock at the higher price of £619.99. He (PAUL once again) confirmed that the item was in stock but they wouldn't send me it as some of their stock cost more than others for them to purchase. At what point do their profit margins become my problem?

Regardless of my unfulfilled purchase, the fact remains that their customer service is poor, unprofessional (chatting with colleagues whilst on the phone), shifty and dismissive.

I'd advise caution to any prospective buyers.
  18. Thunderbird_010

Thunderbird_010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +302
    I purchase a nikon 55-200 a few months ago and it came next day.

Decided that the reach wasnt long enough and sent it back. No problems and money was refunded 2 days later.

Interesting that the last 2 posts on here are from newbies with 1 post each maybe a rival!!!
  19. deathstardisko

deathstardisko New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually I've used this website as a source of much information for a great deal of time, with the comments of people satisfying my particular queries. It has merely taken an incident such as this to annoy me enough to feel I should sign up and make my experience known in order that it may help others form an opinion and warn them of possible risks.
    So no, not a rival, just a disgruntled consumer still waiting for a £500+ refund.
  20. Thunderbird_010

Thunderbird_010 Active Member

Ratings:
    +302
    Apologies then hope you get your refund and that you paid by credit card.