Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody been to LA?

Discussion in 'Travelling & Holidays Forum' started by Dextur, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Dextur

Dextur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,482
    As subject line really,whats kicking around that is unmissable?
  2. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    Track down the A-Team?:laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. instigator

instigator Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Disneyland! Been zillions of times...

So many fantastic places to eat... Love the beaches too...

Rent a convertible and drive up the pch - highway 101.... If you have time drive all the way up to the Redwoods...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2012
  4. Dextur

Dextur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,482
    Any specific hotels etc, how far is Disneyland from central LA?

Any tips for the beaches?

What's inner city transport like, do you taxi everywhere or rent a soft top?
  5. signs

signs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308
    Went in 92 amazing place , I recommend a visit to huntington Beach
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. instigator

instigator Member

Ratings:
    +71
    There are loads of hotels nearby... You can stay a few blocks out or more as its cheaper further away and there are hotel shuttles so you don't have to hassle with parking...

Also we've rented houses with a pool a couple blocks away from Disneyland... Can be more fun than hotel if you've got a big family...

The beaches nearby Disney are cool too... Huntington beach is fun and the shops and restaurants along the beach have a great friendly Californian vibe...

Guitar Center is also worth a visit if you are a musician...

You can get a Disney pass from the local grocery store, Albertsons, that is really cheap but I think you have to have a California ID for them...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Dextur

Dextur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,482
    What did you find amazing specifically, the vibe?
  8. instigator

instigator Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Yes, Huntington Beach is awesome!
  9. signs

signs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308
    Yeah , I was big into my music at the time so I was going to the viper rooms most nights .

Also going to see things like the spruce goose in long beach was good
  10. instigator

instigator Member

Ratings:
    +71
    Yes, very friendly laid back vibe... It's like a magical parallel universe where everything is beautiful, happy, glowing, yummy etc...
  11. signs

signs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,308
    The year i went they had just opened the new pier and had a massive weekend festival , the finally being 100 elvis lookalikes skydiving onto the beach ..only in america !
  12. Dextur

Dextur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,482
    Every time I see LA beachfront with the sun, street performers etc it seems like its teeming with life, we had been planning a Disneybtrip in 2 years so figured I may bundle a week in LA central.
  13. rousetafarian

rousetafarian Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,897
    We are going in August and driving north upto San Francisco and back so will let you know
  14. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +658
    Been to LA a few times, not the most exciting place and the fact you have to drive everywhere sucks because the traffic is terrible. Generally, if you have the choice of going anywhere else then I would but you can keep yourself occupied for just about a few days ;)

Anyway, if you do go there then Disneyland and Universal Studios is pretty good. Also checkout the usual tourist sports of Chinese Theatre, Sunset Strip (which does have some good bars to visit), Santa Monica isn't too bad either. Long Beach and the Queen Mary/Spruce Goose is pretty good.

Overall though, after a day or two it's pretty boring so worth making some tracks out of LA and see what's around it (although LA is huge as it's a sprawling mass of smaller boroughs).
  15. instigator

instigator Member

Ratings:
    +71
    I've driven loads in southern California and its a pleasure compared to driving in traffic in the uk... No contest...

You'll definitely need a good playlist / mix cd for the car to enhance the vibe... Bob marley, for the day... Chet baker for the night is a good starting point...
  16. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +658
    Not around Hollywood / Santa Monica Boulevard area - traffic is a mare around that area. Other parts of LA might be better and as soon as you leave and head up to Malibu etc... the roads turn pretty awesome... :)
  17. rousetafarian

rousetafarian Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,897
    Has anyone driven up Big Sur?

We are flying into LAX, spending a couple of nights in LA hope to follow the coast ending up in San Francisco and back. Looking to take in the vineyards, beaches, restaurants etc

This is a totally different type of holiday for us, and will need some serious planning (or none at all), any suggestions?
  18. Dextur

Dextur Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,482
    WOW, talk about a difference of opinion, what specifically didn't you like?

I know these things are utterly personal at the end of the day, I love the look of it more and more, seems really vibrant and alive.
  19. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +658
    I have to say that I have only spent a few days there each time but it just feels lacking in any character. Compared with other US cities I've been to - New York, Austin, New Orleans, Vegas, San Fran - I feel that LA seems very average and way too spread out to have any atmosphere. It wouldn't be somewhere I'll be rushing back to in a hurry, give me New York any day - possibly the greatest city on earth :smashin:
  20. hyperfish

hyperfish Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,001
    Santa Monica pier, rodeo drive, muscle beach, sunset boulevard, walk of fame, bel air, the Hollywood sign, long beach.

Not worthy of a bucket list but we ticked them off anyway. Saw the sign but couldn't, figure how to get close.