1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Wendy Carlos Fans ??

Discussion in 'Music Forum' started by g8ina, Feb 5, 2012.

1. g8ina

g8ina Moderator

Ratings:
    +301
    Im just finally getting around to selling my Wendy Carlos CD collection in ebay and was wondering if there are any real fans in here ?

I met Wendy some years ago, and it was Switched On Bach 1967 that got me into designing and building synths.

This is what I ended up with as my main machine for years -

[​IMG]

Me in 1976 ish, horrible corduroy jacket to boot :)
  2. Todd Tomorrow

Todd Tomorrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,260
    I grew up in the 70s and my dad used to have Switched On-Bach and The Well-Tempered Synthesiser and I still like listening to them. The Moog sound, then state of the art, now has nostalgic quality and it's a much softer, warmer sound than the coldness of 80s electronic music. Classical music purists may turn up their nose at the records, but they are groundbreaking in their own way and they have a retro-modern cool to them. Of course as a film lover they also remind me of Kubrick, which is never a bad thing.
  3. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    Is that a pair of Koss Electrostatics I see?
  4. g8ina

g8ina Moderator

Ratings:
    +301
    Koss yes, electrostatics, no. Koss Pro 4AA originals. Very classy I was then. Now I just have Sennheiser HD580s :) and Moog soft synths to play with, great fun !
  5. Billo

Billo Member

Ratings:
    +97
    I've got ''Switched on Bach'' one and two.I've always enjoyed the sound of The Moog. other favorites are ''Spirit in the Sky'' and The Beatles ''Abbey Road'', which I think was one of the first albums to feature the Moog throughout as orchestration.
    I read a book about the concert pianist Glenn Gould who stated that it must be one of the best recordings ever due to the time and amount of tape splicing that went on to produce it.
  6. g8ina

g8ina Moderator

Ratings:
    +301
    My fave CD is Well Tempered Synthesiser, I love the rich fat sounds she achieves in the Monteverdi stuff.

On the ebay position - I have *nice* bids on all my duplicated Wendy Carlos CDs including 37 quid (already) on the Boxset, with 5 days still to go !!

Cant help but get excited at that :)
  7. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,018
    Not really heard much other that the Bach and Clockwork Orange stuff... local charity shop has the C/O theme tune 45... anyway, do you have any samples/tunes you did on the pictured synth?

Curly
  8. g8ina

g8ina Moderator

Ratings:
    +301
    Nah, it was a very long time ago and all my reel to reel stuff went to another synth player.

Gimme a few months and I may have some new stuff on the softsynths though :)
  9. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,018
    ah pity... look forward to hearing some stuff when finished, I currently have a MicroKorg XL and a Roland SH-201 along with Ableton and various softsynths on the ipad that I should start using...need to get some tutorials/guides watching, reading done.

Curly
  10. g8ina

g8ina Moderator

Ratings:
    +301
    actually if yer interested, my son has made some music in Reason, I can PM you the URL.
  11. Nick 81

Nick 81 Member

Ratings:
    +14
    is there any reason why Carlos' material is hard to obtain? I am tempted by some of g8ina's ebay items, but they are now on the rich side for used items! Its simply me being a tight-wad :D

Sky Arts 2 showed the Moog movie last weekend, which I enjoyed. I adore the sounds produced by the original Moog modular unit, and the Mini Moog. I have no musical ability what so ever, but would love to have a play with a Mini Moog and produce those gorgeous sounds.
  12. g8ina

g8ina Moderator

Ratings:
    +301
    Carlos stuff is rare because they never really made huge print runs, and once they were done that was it. Most of her catalogue is now fully OOP, and stuff like that Boxset is looking at 250 US$ in Amazon for example !

All the old analogue Moogs are also now fetching silly money. I did own a half share of a Mini in the late 70s, but it went the same way as the rest of my studio :(
  13. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,018
    Yes you can do, always up to listening to some new stuff.

Curly
  14. soundstory

soundstory Active Member

Ratings:
    +191
    That's crazy that it's all out of print, I'm surprised no label has picked any of it up
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  15. g8ina

g8ina Moderator

Ratings:
    +301
    I have to be honest, Im not too sad about that right now :)

The discs Im selling are duplicates anyway (cuz I wuz a clever dickie and bought two of each)... So its win/win for me ;)
  16. g8ina

g8ina Moderator

Ratings:
    +301
    and then there's Isao Tomita who did Snowflakes are Dancing. Some superb synth vocalisations on The Submerged Cathedral on that one.
  17. g8ina

g8ina Moderator

Ratings:
    +301
    wow

My auctions just all finished and I made nearly 200 quid on the Wendy Carlos CDs !
  18. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +413
    My dad got me hooked on Tomita many years ago - fantastic stuff. One of my favourites is his interpretation of Stravinsky's Firebird.

I only really know of Wendy Carlos from her soundtrack related work (Tron, Shining, Clockwork Orange).
  19. technoman28

technoman28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +259
    Totally agree on Tomita, I have been a fan of his stuff since the late 70's. Snowflakes is the album that started it off, in parrticular "Clair de lune", which is the first tune I heard by him. Either got or heard most of his albums, (all vinyl).

I would have loved to have seen him live when he played Linz, (got the album), where he performed inside a glass pyramid suspended above the river on a crane, with a boat full of choir on the river, and when he did his interpretation of Close Encounters, he had the mothership sound coming out of a speaker on a helicopter hovering over the area. Not over the top at all!!

With regards to synth's, as a kid I used to spend hours in a place in Newcastle called "Rock City Music" and play around on all the old analogue synth's. At home we had an upright piano, an old harmonium (you had to pedal it to get the sound to play), and an electric organ that no matter what I did to it, I could not get it to sound like Keith Emersons. Was also at one point going to build the "Transcendent" synth, (think that's right), but never did. Closest I got to a snth sound was playing around with the tuning on an old radio that used to have a kind of sine wavy type noise in the background, and as you turned the tuning knob the frequency went up or down. I used to try and play along to music with it.

I have ended up with a Roland D70, Korg X5DR, Kawai K4 and various soft synths, but all just for messing round with.
  20. g8ina

g8ina Moderator

Ratings:
    +301
    Hehehehe memories that brings back

I had an old Bush valve radio when I was 8 and it got me started in electronics and ham radio. I was fascinated by the slow morse beacons at the lower end of the MW band and my Dad bought me Gilbert Davey's "Fun with Radio". Buiolt my first crystal set that year too.

Built a Transcendant 2000 for Mark Jenkins when he was still at school, him now vewwy famous electro musician and has writted a book on analogue synths.

I need a MIDI keyboard so I can best have a play with my soft synths now.

Oh - and another guy who built a Maplin 4600 in Italy was on the design crew of MIDI !
  21. technoman28

technoman28 Active Member

Ratings:
    +259
    I am sure you will correct me if I am wrong, but I think MIDI must be one of the few innovations that arrived, worked and hasn't had any significant changes made to it, ie no MIDI-2 or Super MIDI etc, even though it is in the simplest right up to the most complicated bits of kit you can get.

The number of ways for creating sound has increased to the point where anything can be created and altered in an infinite number of ways, yet still be transferred through cable using early eighties technology that hasn't changed, (I believe it is still MIDI 1.0). To be involved in something that affected the business in such a major way must be pretty darn cool.
  22. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +413
    I think there's been a few additions to the MIDI specification over the years (USB support for instance) but the language itself has remained the same since the early 80s.
  23. g8ina

g8ina Moderator

Ratings:
    +301
    Yes, agreed on both counts.
  24. Goldenbone

Goldenbone Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Really love the tron soundtrack, I remember watching that film for the first time as a boy, and the music really freaked me out - its got so much personality, and it's so far from other music in films. Still love it today
  25. Fmrl

Fmrl Active Member

Ratings:
    +413
    Agreed. A fantastic score. Some of the tracks were made with a combination of synths, orchestra, and choir which gives them a really unique quality. I love the arcade game too.