1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Viessmann/Broag condensing boiler users?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Oily, Aug 12, 2008.

1. Oily

Oily Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Just need your opinions on these two boilers as i'm getting a new condensing boiler and i've narrowed it down to these two.
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  2. neilios

neilios Active Member

Ratings:
    +986
    Yes fitted a few broags ,good boilers but i found the aftersales left a little to be desired .Cannot fault worcester bosch for build quality and aftersales services ,especially the cdi range .
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Oily

Oily Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks.Does the Worcester have weather compensating controls etc?
  4. picbits

picbits Member

Ratings:
    +31
    Bit of an old thread bump but I'm wondering what you went for in the end as I'm about to go out and buy a Broag (Remeha)
  5. neilios

neilios Active Member

Ratings:
    +986
    Get a vailant or worcester bosch ,less call backs on these two ,out of 14 broags fitted ,8 have had niggly faults on the boilers ,leading to customers calling me to fix new boiler faults.
  6. picbits

picbits Member

Ratings:
    +31
    It all boils down to £££.

A Vaillant or WB would cost me at least £200 more than the equivalent 28kw Broag (I've got a very good deal).

Unfortunately that £200 is the difference between being able to afford to have the leaking water cylinder (thermal store) and boiler replaced or not this year.
  7. loumac

loumac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently had a viessmann boiler installed by [ name removed ] who was a registered trained installer from the viessmann website. This installer made a complete mess of the installation and then walked off before putting it right. viessmann weren't interested in my complaint and refused to remove him from their website. So i would say to anyone considering a viessmann boiler that although they may be good (and only time will tell), their customer care is about as bad as it gets so don't touch them with a barge pole.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2009
  8. neilios

neilios Active Member

Ratings:
    +986
    What happened?
  9. loumac

loumac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    To cut a long story short he didn't advise me on the correct boiler for my needs to start with, then he didn't measure the space properly. He tried to make the space bigger by taking off the plaster to gain an extra inch then just gave up. He'd made me buy the boiler upfront, never told me the problem, and unopened the boxes so i couldn't send it back. I got someone else to install it at great expense and the only way it would go into the space was to cover some of the door so the door doesn't open properly!

viessmann refused to take him off the website so anyone could get the same treatment...
  10. Capcave

Capcave Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Avoid Viessmann like the plague - lot of money for a pile of *

Bought a Vitodens 300 (with large tank and solar) 5 years ago. It has been the bane of my life since. The company recommended the installer (midlands based). It has never functioned properly, the company is not interested and and the installer spends their time trying to blame everyone else. 3000 quid plus for a Rolls Royce boiler that goes like a Trabant. I have 2 other Worcester Bosch boilers nearly the same age that have performed flawlessly for 1000 quid each.
  11. Andyh4324

Andyh4324 Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    I think it's a lot to do with how they are put it. You can't blame the boiler for the installers faults. Equally you can't blame the installer for the boilers problems.
  12. Geo-V6

Geo-V6 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Quick question if its ok guys, Im about to move in and the property has a condensing boiler - I dont know the make - in general have you found the condensing boiler makes a differance to your energy bills??.
  13. Andyh4324

Andyh4324 Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    Depends what you are comparing it to?
  14. Geo-V6

Geo-V6 Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Compared to a gas combi boiler...
  15. Andyh4324

Andyh4324 Active Member

Ratings:
    +316
    I meant how old is the old boiler, size of the new and old systems stuff like that.

In general though, I'd say anything over 10 years old you will notice a difference compared to a new one. This is including new controls etc that come with the current regs to make it run more efficiently too.
  16. abcgascare

abcgascare Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Lot of water under the bridge since this started the Broag is cheap & cheerfull & the new Viessmann is Vitoden 100 is a piece of art in boiler form I fit a Broag on price last week user interface is crap but the boiler was cheap the Viessmann as a self cleaning heat exchanger in stainless steel & as a 5 year garantee with a 0.5% call out dont confuse with older models .Do not buy a Wocster Bocsh I went to three last week there a bag of poo Aluminium Heat exchanger & Need servicing the aluminium breaks down & you find aluminium oxide filling the conensate trap & too many other proplems .
    Take my advice go for a Viessmann if not go for Vaillant but I still like the 5 year Viessmann thats unbiased as I am not floging you a boiler & I get paid the same to fit a Cortina or a BMW .I fit over 25 Vailliants but now I am hooked on Viessmann & you want quality back up you will get it .
  17. Berties

Berties New Member

Ratings:
    +606
    The smaller Wochesters don't, my brothers just got a single dial, but ours has two (water and radiator)
  18. maulz

maulz Member

Ratings:
    +1
    if its got seperate controls for hw and ch it means its a combi.
    thats to say it heats the hot water as you need it and doesn't store hw in a tank. that saves space but can mean you dont get hot enough water when you need lots fast like running a bath in a hurry when someone else is using hot water at the same time.
    its not the boilers fault its just the design limitation.
    generally combis are more suited for smaller houses and flats where demand is low and infrequent.

condensing boilers have an extra level of heat exchanger taking more heat from the exhaust gasses.
    so they are supposed to be between 15% to 20% more efficient than non condensing boilers as a rule of thumb
    but due to site differences in the real world, incorrect settings, radiator balancing etc. this is probably a bit optimistic.
    you can check your boiler efficiency rating here
    http://www.homeheatingguide.co.uk/efficiency-tables.php?make=

i really would like more info/experiences on the visemann boilers as i understand they have lambda controls built in that adjust the gas air mix constantly to maximise heat output from the gas, which being a natural product can vary in quality (calorific value) depending on it source.
    without those lamda controls other boilers are set at an average so produce less heat from the same amount of gas as the quality varies

in laymans terms its like the engine management chips you get in modern cars
    anyway who knows of any downside on these please ?
    do they have a weaknesses cos it sounds too good to be true from what i have found out so far
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2011
  19. MrBlofeldt

MrBlofeldt Member

Ratings:
    +102
    I'd be very wary of Viessman boilers if I were you, my brother in law had one and had nothing but problems with it, plus viessman haven't been doing domestic boilers that long... I'd have another look if I were you !
  20. markyrob69

markyrob69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a Viessman Vitodends 100 boiler in 2007 and had it installed by a reputable plumber.

Since then I've experienced numerous reliability problems with this boiler and have had to get get an engineer out on three separate occasions to replace a stuck internal air flap and, most recently, to replace a faulty ignition unit. It seems there are a number of acknowledged design faults with this boiler. Viessman's customer service team are polite but inflexible and have refused to offer spare parts free of charge, or at least at a reduced rate. Their excuse is that the boiler was not installed by one of their own accredited technicians. This seems inflexible given the problems I've had are the result of known design faults - and also unreasonable given the plumber I used to install the boiler has many year's experience and came very well recommended.

I'd strongly advise against buying this boiler, or any other, from Viessman. The company has provided very poor after sales customer service and charges huge amounts of money for an engineer call (up to £250 if you live within the M25). My personal experience has been very negative. It's not acceptable for a boiler which is only 5 years old to have developed so many faults. I can't help wondering if these boilers were designed with built-in obsolescence to enable Viessman to profit from charging expensive service calls when these boilers fail just outside warranty - as so many seem to have done so.
  21. picbits

picbits Member

Ratings:
    +31
    For reference, my Broag boiler has been in now for a year and 3 months and hasn't missed a beat so far.
  22. la gran siete

la gran siete Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,311
    wel you have managed to turn me against tha boiler completely .Thats a good hatchet job:laugh:

I am in the position of having to make a choice of bioler myself not only brand but type as well, and am getting so much differing advice its turning my head round:confused:Some say combis others suggest unvented system.The latter need a special cylinder which cost £500+ plus you need good mains water pressure and flow.I got 2 bar, 20 ltrs per min which is just about ok.Unvented means no air gets into the system CH water stays cleaner and the HW pressure is like the mains so pump required if a decent shower is wanted .Combis have their merits being cheaper to install and are efficient but I live in heavy limescale area which means they could be badly affected by lime unless i install a water softener ( expensive) or fit one of those water conditioner and hope it works( they dont always).
    Now to brands. Most RGIs favour WB or Valiant for all the reasons given .They appear to be the common sense boilers , but there is a growing nmber who favour a brand called Atmos and another called Intergas.Both the same boiler but with different badges.they like them because they have no diverter valve( apparently a big plus) and hot water secondary heat exchanger.Those are the two components that most often go wrong so it makes the boiler kind of desirable.
    Now to the fitting.Apparently they can be fitted following something called an s plan (which allows future cylinder addition) or a "hot water priority with a sensor" plan.No idea yet what that means except its supposed to make the system more efficient.I got caught in the middle of an argument between several RGIs and have no idea yet what they were on about:confused:
    think for the sake of my sanity i will opt for a Valiant or WB unvented system if affordable, both boiler and cylinder situated in the airing cupboard one above the other
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2011
  23. neilios

neilios Active Member

Ratings:
    +986
    Argument haha ,probably arguing about how to pipe it up lol...

This seems like quite a good guide to the different zone valve configs ..
    Central Heating Design

You dont have to get a vaillant cyclinder,i'm fitting a pre piped cylinder in a couple of weeks ,lazy me..:D
  24. la gran siete

la gran siete Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,311
    i just discovered that the argument was about the merits of weather compensation.One side argued they were waste of time and saved very little money unless one lived in a large house, the other claimed they were neanderthals opposing progress for the sake of it and that WC was the best way of maximising efficiency particularly if one has under floor heating.I suppose I would have to weigh the installation costs against any saving I may make in the long term.Room thermostats are now considered only fit for the ark :laugh:as they are too inefficient.
    I have read that link, thanks.as for cylinder, I dont mind whoch make it is as long as its cost affective. Nothing wrong with being a bit lazy :) why make work for yourself
  25. Oily

Oily Member

Ratings:
    +87
    Thought I'd update this thread,went with the Viessmann in the end.It's been great bar the diverter valve sticking each year when it's not been used in a while,i.e,after each summer.
  26. redboy1

redboy1 Member

Ratings:
    +147
    Just browsing google for viessmann reviews and saw this old thread. thought i would bring it back to life as im getting a new viessmann condensing combi 100-w 35kw fitted this week, just wondered if anyone has one and what they think of it.
    Apparently the old 100 series had a few issues but the new series after 2008 are supposed to be a lot more reliable.
  27. BISHI

BISHI Active Member

Ratings:
    +754
    We're getting a Remeha condensor because their design means they can fit in a small cupboard space, supposed to be really good and apparently they invented the condensing boiler...
  28. redboy1

redboy1 Member

Ratings:
    +147
    Not sure but i think the viessmann fits into cupboard space.
  29. Zombane

Zombane Active Member

Ratings:
    +248
    My Viessmann boiler has broken down on around 20-30 occassions since I had it installed. Now I realise it might not be the boiler, it could be a poor installation etc
    I couldn't however recommend one, as mine's been so bad.
  30. BISHI

BISHI Active Member

Ratings:
    +754
    We're having one of these fitted next monday-

Avanta Plus Combi Boilers | Remehaheating.co.uk

Its the only one we could get fitted in the existing cupboard space where our current boiler is. A Worcester Bosch would have to sited elsewhere and the expense of extending pipework would have cost more than the boiler.
    It also comes with 5 years warranty as standard so I reckon it has to be fairly decent..