Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any spec on BT Home Hub 3.0

Discussion in 'BT' started by keydude, Jan 29, 2011.

1. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,463
    Got BT Infinity last autumn so on home hub 2.1.

Is 3.0 a worthy upgrade? With respect to the currently television advertising campaign about "smart wireless technology"
  2. Strawbs

Strawbs Member

Ratings:
    +177
    I doubt you'll see much benefit tbh! It's mostly all marketing guff.

The "smart" bit just means automatic channel hopping to find a cleaner signal - my Buffalo Airstation was doing that since 2003. The only benefit will probably be, if you have "n" adaptors in your PC\Laptop you'll get a stronger and faster wireless network speed! If you only have "g" adaptors, you probably shouldn't bother - as you lose the Hub phone option.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. beerhunter

beerhunter Active Member

Ratings:
    +759
    Why is that? That is to say over and above a HH 2.0.
  4. Strawbs

Strawbs Member

Ratings:
    +177
    if HH2 is wireless n too, I wasn't aware.

apologies. :blush:
  5. stockyvillage

stockyvillage Member

Ratings:
    +93
    Yes QUITE CORRECT the max wireless speed on HH3 is 144Mbs..Shame that as netgear have 300Mbs on some of their routers
  6. Strawbs

Strawbs Member

Ratings:
    +177
    perhaps I should add that when all's said & done, HH3 works well enough - apart from usb media sharing seems a little choppy with HD content - and looks great sitting atop my A\V unit! much better looking than any other router out there IMO.

:)

Attached Files:

• HH3.jpg
      HH3.jpg
      Size:
      72.8 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  7. Neo_VR

Neo_VR Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Tart! :p

Im torn between the HH3 and my Draytek 2820n.
    The Draytek is (ovbiously) the better router, but at the moment i dont use the features and the wifi seems to be a bit more stable on the HH3. although as said above it cant do the full 300mb that the draytek can.

Does anyone know, if im opted in to FON and not using the HH, can i still use other FON sites and BTopenzone?
  8. saintalan

saintalan Member

Ratings:
    +50
    Does anyone know if the wireless n is 2.4ghz and/or 5ghz.

Thanks

Alan
  9. deathtrap3000

deathtrap3000 Member

Ratings:
    +148
    2.4ghz up to 150mbps. No 300mbps or 5ghz unfortunately.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Strawbs

Strawbs Member

Ratings:
    +177
    After 3 months usage, I've now come to the conclusion that it does not work well enough! I've since noticed a few annoying issues that I never had with my old Airstation and can't put up with.

issue 1. When my wireless printer goes into deep-sleep mode it has to be power-cycled before it will reconnect to the HH3.

issue 2. the wifi connection speed to any device (around 11 in all) drops to 54Mb\s everytime that particular device sleeps or disconnects\reconnects - the only way to restore max wifi speed is to enter the router setup page and refresh the channel! SMART channel selection is enabled, but it's obviously not very smart.

issue 3. My new (wifi only) Kindle e-reader never connects without a channel refresh and drops the connection every 15 minutes or so. This is the main reason why I've only recently noticed HH3 is flawed and I apologise if my previous post lead anybody else to commit to it.

I've been reading that the HH3 has other (VPN, etc) limitations that don't really affect me, but on the whole, those affected seem to be replacing it with a Draytek Vigor.

I've decided to give the Netgear DGND3700 N600 a try! because it has the capability to use concurrent dual band operation 2.4 + 5GHz) rather than just switchable, and it also works with cable (in case I want to switch back to cable at a later date).

Reviews say the Netgear works flawlessly with Fibre, but is apparently troublesome with older ADSL lines, so stay away if you only have a copper connection to your isp.

If you do decide on the Netgear, There are other N600's that have lesser capabilities, they're cheaper and may use slightly older tech - the DGND3700 may be overkill depending on your setup, but it's currently the best I could find without getting into Professional price brackets.

It's just a shame it doesn't look as good as the HH3. :(

HTH
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2011