Any Recommendations in Shares to Invest in?

BTW, it seems the poor performance of the markets down to concerns about inflation from the COVID situation.

It's a fair comparison in the sense it was superior tech that was dismissed widely.

What deadline is it that musk has set for FSD and not delivered on? Yes he has ran his mouth in the past and learnt a lesson from it. Great minds learn from their mistakes, thats a key part of any journey. Cars are driving themselves under supervision now, as I type this. Which other automaker is competing on this front?

You really think Tesla has got to where it is off the back of one man? Thats laughable. He is a visionary but has an incredible team around him, from the factory floor to the boardroom.

I don't really understand the dissent and disdain towards Musk and Tesla. They had the balls to force the EV future when traditional auto and oil companies would have happily destroyed our planet. This isn't winner takes all. Ford, BMW, VW, Toyota all need to do their bit and get their ICE cars off the road for good. Tesla have done the unthinkable and created a near trillion dollar company from nothing in just over a decade. Big industry wanted them to fail and did their upmost to see them fail.

If we successfully transition to EVs in the next decade we have given ourselves a real shot at reversing the current climate crisis. Tesla are significantly ahead in my opinion and yes, I've test driven a model 3 multiple times and will purchase when my current contract ends. It's the best car I've ever driven. But this isn't winner takes all. I see a lot of people agreeing that EVs will be the future but no one talking about investing capital with anyone else.

Do you think there is a huge opportunity to back EV stocks?

If yes, who do you invest with?
Every car manufacturer is producing EVs. They will only get better, with similar range to Tesla.

Are you predicting Tesla will be the world's biggest car maker purely because they are EV? It sounds like you're saying they will be first to supply a production car with Level 5 autonomous driving, and because of that they will catapult to the top?

That's possible. It's not a one man race to level 5 though (eg Waymo) and how long is a piece of string - there's a technical problem to solve and a regulatory problem. Why would you pay upfront for a feature that may never arrive during the car's economic life? That's evangelism.

I'm glad you liked the model 3. I find Tesla interiors don't match the price (ie cheap feeling), and the designs are a bit naff. Look like expensive Toyota or Mazda. I like Toyota and Mazda but not at Tesla prices. I'm not the target audience for autonomous driving since I don't care to be driven around by a glorified cab, but no doubt there is a market for this. Will we even be commuting in the future? So many assumptions.

Not directed at you, but Cathy Wood's "analysis" of Tesla stock recently was so amateur even the FT described it like a sieve. Assumptions built on assumptions and misinformation. Clearly a big marketing campaign directed at retail investors and their government cheques.

BTW, it seems the poor performance of the markets down to concerns about inflation from the COVID situation.

This is going to continue I think.
Yes I know it's YouTube but this guy puts it altogether nicely. I think the 10 year yield will continue to rise...

H2 2022 will be very interesting. Fears of the impending interest rate hike in 2023 could trigger a correction at the least or a market crash. I'm gonna get half my cash out end of this year - probably over cautious but equities are getting risky. The USA is overpriced whatever metric you look at in dollar terms, Europe and everywhere else is cheap. But when the US is impacted, globalisation and all that we all go down. We are due a market crash soon if you look at historical performance.

Car manufacturers are producing EVs but they are far from competing with Tesla. The manufacturer is still bogged down in their OEM acquisition and assembly production and will not be able to push costs down in the same way. Their cars are substantial more expensive to build and deliver. Traditional auto also has no hope of developing autonomous software. Waymo may align with say a VW or someone to solve this problem but this only makes two players in the market place. It is NOT winner takes all.

What exactly was “sieve” like about her analysis? Had anyone bought when she predicted $7000 a share you’d have made a phenomenal return. You want to bet against her again? Besides, this woman and her investment firm are not playing to the usual Wall Street and financial institution fiddle. Hardly surprising that people are poking fun at her.

Tesla are at the forefront of EVs, Transportation, AI & Energy Storage. If this isn’t in your portfolio then I’d love to know what picks are as these clear are going to be huge growth areas.

Car manufacturers are producing EVs but they are far from competing with Tesla. The manufacturer is still bogged down in their OEM acquisition and assembly production and will not be able to push costs down in the same way. Their cars are substantial more expensive to build and deliver. Traditional auto also has no hope of developing autonomous software. Waymo may align with say a VW or someone to solve this problem but this only makes two players in the market place. It is NOT winner takes all.

What exactly was “sieve” like about her analysis? Had anyone bought when she predicted $7000 a share you’d have made a phenomenal return. You want to bet against her again? Besides, this woman and her investment firm are not playing to the usual Wall Street and financial institution fiddle. Hardly surprising that people are poking fun at her.

Tesla are at the forefront of EVs, Transportation, AI & Energy Storage. If this isn’t in your portfolio then I’d love to know what picks are as these clear are going to be huge growth areas.

Cathy Wood had ONE good year during what was probably the biggest bull run in history from March 2020. And that was on the back of the bull run that started in 2009. Wind and sails. Every boat floats during a tide. Additional metaphors apply.

I work in innovation so I understand her strategy and high risk, high returns play. But as she is a fund manager, there's a reason you look at historical performance. During a bull run like we've had, you could throw darts at a board to pick stocks and you'd probably double your return. That's how good it's been. She's no James Anderson (Baille Gifford).

You sound like an Tesla evangelist. I never said it was a bad investment. I raised reasonable points about their competitive advantage.

Many holes, since I'm not a trusted expert see the opinion from the FT. It's pure marketing from Cathy and her team directed at retail investors like us. It's nonsense!

Like I said, I didn't say Tesla was a bad investment. I don't think they are good value at current valuation, and I don't believe they will be the biggest car manufacturer in the world - both opinions.

Not sure why my investment portfolio matters but here's a few I am invested in: Crowdstrike, Nio, Citius Pharmaceuticals, Qualcomm, Bitcoin & Ethereum plus a bunch of others.

Without going over old ground - The biggest ESP for Tesla is not the car/battery etc - It's the Supercharging network at the moment.

You simply couldn't consider another car outside Tesla and rely on public chargers if your doing decent mileage. The Supercharing network is the huge selling point for Telsa. The cars/tech/batteries are very good and still just about ahead of the competition but until all the others get together and produce a "proper" network of chargers across the UK, they will still suffer.

Until that gap is closed - Tesla still have the upper hand.

Valuation wise - Who knows - I don't own it directly but still sit strongly in Scottish Mortgage Trust who have holdings in Telsa etc - (much reduced after taking a healthy profit)

@silent ninja

I am a huge fan of Musk but I will push back a little on being a Tesla evangelist. Like you I am a futurist and I believe there is a huge wave of disruption coming. Tesla for me seem best placed to profit from this by leading the charge.

Thanks for sharing your portfolio but that wasn't what I meant. I understand the cynicism from some in this thread but I am challenging you all. If we agree EVs are the future then who are the sensible picks to lead this wave of change? For me its Tesla. I am open to the idea of others and I think there will be many winners. I've addressed directly NIO and XPENG and why I woudn't invest with them. So I am no evangelist but I do have conviction in the horse I have backed and will debate those whom I think are missing something.

I have no opinion on ARK nor Cathy Wood outside of the fact she has been dead right and made wall street look out of touch. I don't touch ETFs. I love to listen to her interviews but she needs to get a grip of the umming and ahhing...but I digress.

We can agree on Bitcoin brother. I've been long on BTC for a long time and its been a very enjoyable 12months.

Tesla are looking to open their supercharger network. It was leaked out ;) from Elon's recent worldwide conference call.

Elon gives away clues on his twitter account:

Elon tweeted a Transformer image a few weeks ago. Transformers started out as a Japanese toy before Hasbro got involved... Japanese/American... Toyota/Tesla?
That being said, Toyota CEO wasn't too complimentary about Tesla and the EV market a few months ago.

In January he tweeted a picture of a chair. Chair... share... Hmmmm.

Stock split clue last May.
----

Before S&P inclusion was announced, Tesla tequila came out.

The man has a fundamental understanding of the internet, meme culture and viral marketing. It's a fascinating and refreshing approach that has captured the hearts and minds of the everyman and alienated the establishment.

I love it.

Tesla are looking to open their supercharger network. It was leaked out ;) from Elon's recent worldwide conference call.
They have tested a couple of times, but ultimately at this time he knows it's his massive "edge" in selling cars, especially in the UK.

He won't be giving anything away for now to the competition. It's funny, but at the same time sad, when you see an I-Pace trying to plug into a Supercharger.....Had to tell someone they won't get a charge from Tesla Supercharger. Disappointingly - They had been told my the Jag sale guy they could use them.....

Ridiculous that we have learnt nothing from USB/lightning shenanigans with mobile phones. There should be a universally agreed charging standard.

Nice resurgence on Tesla today. I'm desperate to load up on some other stocks but I'm trying to invest in my business at the moment. Feeling quite torn.

Ridiculous that we have learnt nothing from USB/lightning shenanigans with mobile phones. There should be a universally agreed charging standard.

Nice resurgence on Tesla today. I'm desperate to load up on some other stocks but I'm trying to invest in my business at the moment. Feeling quite torn.

Don't worry - it's negative on the day now.

Charging standards - yep that would certainly help adoption - needs to get the point where it is as simple as ICE - drive up to any old pump anywhere and 'plug in' - without the current need of thinking and planning.

Its already like that Type 2 & CCS (tesla are different but they have their own standard)

This is how it normally goes

1617297862419.png

They have tested a couple of times, but ultimately at this time he knows it's his massive "edge" in selling cars, especially in the UK.

He won't be giving anything away for now to the competition. It's funny, but at the same time sad, when you see an I-Pace trying to plug into a Supercharger.....Had to tell someone they won't get a charge from Tesla Supercharger. Disappointingly - They had been told my the Jag sale guy they could use them.....

It's like Mercedes owning its own petrol stations. Got to give it to Tesla, very smart to build the supercharger network early on.

Its already like that Type 2 & CCS (tesla are different but they have their own standard)
HAD. They use CCS for Europe now and you can buy an adaptor for any of the older cars.

Ha yes that makes more sense. We have few Teslas around here (East London) - quite a few Nissans (cars and vans) and BMWs as you say. The odd VW.

The above registrations does show how far Tesla has to go for wider adoption.
Obviously miss the Uber drivers favourite, prius

It's like Mercedes owning its own petrol stations. Got to give it to Tesla, very smart to build the supercharger network early on.
Good for vertical integration but will soon be overtake now other companies are partnering with existing suppliers and have cross brand compatibility

The language in that article clearly is aimed at undermining Tesla. Market share “crumbling” lol! Sponsored ads picking holes in Tesla like it’s a winner takes all game. Billions of EVs will need to be made to replace ICE vehicles ruining the environment.

Take a 30min drive and take note of what EVs you see. Any VWs? I certainly don’t. Plenty of Tesla’s though.

Tech dominates the global landscape. Traditional autos simply cannot compete longterm. Especially when the near future is autonomous and subscription based.
VW group have only started mass production with ID3 and ID4 platform. Already selling it to other manufacturers as well.

Good for vertical integration but will soon be overtake now other companies are partnering with existing suppliers and have cross brand compatibility

The goal is to accelerate transition to fossil fuels. More competitors the better. The market is huge.

Other manufacturers still rely heavily on suppliers, no hint of vertical integration to reduce costs. Do they use giga presses? Make their own alloys?

There are a few UK funds that are still delivering growth such as:
Aviva Investors UK Smaller Companies Fund 2 GBP Acc
Have you noticed that most funds that are performing (looking at YTD figures) are only delivering 5 - 10% so far? Appreciate that this would look like 20 - 40% if they follow the same trajectory over 12 months, but there is nothing really head and shoulders above the rest.

It has been delivering recently when other funds have been dropping.
Fortunately the US high yield bond rally is over so main fund prices are going up again.

The goal is to accelerate transition to fossil fuels. More competitors the better. The market is huge.

Other manufacturers still rely heavily on suppliers, no hint of vertical integration to reduce costs. Do they use giga presses? Make their own alloys?
Why does that matter though?

Does Apple make it's batteries, screens, network chips, cameras? The iPhone does pretty well despite that.

I can't see battery tech being a differentiator. It'll just become a commodity. There are numerous big battery tech suppliers that are just as good as Tesla in the long run and can supply anyone: Microvast, Freyr, quantumscape (who just passed a technical milestone yesterday and received $200m from VW).

On the charging side: EVBox, evgo, Chargepoint, Bling Charging and probably others. They will help create infrastructure in our homes, at work and at public charging stations.

Teslas key differentiatior right now is their software and big data/AI. The latter is to do with the amount of real data they have which Google and others just cannot match right now. They do hold numerous patents in EV too, but I'm not sure how valuable they are.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom