Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any info on the Panasonic TXL47ET5???

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by stevep94, Mar 1, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I've just been in a local TV shop and they have got a TXL47ET5 and a TXL47E5 running in the showroom and they look like they could be the business!! :smashin:

Back to the office and had a look but can barely see any mention of these models, let alone any reviews of them!?!? :confused:

How can these sets make it to the high street before any of the techhy review sites out there have even had a sniff???

Anyone know anything about these new Panny models??
  2. Silverblack

Silverblack Active Member

Ratings:
    +445
    I've just read a pretty good review on areadvd about the 47et5 led tv your talking about, if you wanted to read it you will need the google translate.
  3. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    You don't have a link do you? I've got Google translate working fine but cant see the article on the Area DVD website?? (the German one right??)

*edit*

Ignore me, found it!
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. darnun

darnun Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2012
  5. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    TEST mit Display Basic Check: EDGE LED LCD-TV Panasonic TX-L47ETW5

You need to be using Google translate and even then it's a bit of a mish-mash as some of the content doesn't make sense but you can get the general gist!

I'm a bit wary jumping in without seeing a review tbh.
  6. darnun

darnun Member

Ratings:
    +47
    LG are known to price their passive sets higher than they should. Mainly because they have, sorry had, the monopoly on passive 3D. Maybe the low price of this Panny set is the true reflection of what they should cost.
    That review makes it sound very good and easily on par with the LG sets. I am unsure now.
    As with most things, I will go in to store and test the hell out of it. :)
  7. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Not sure I would call this more competitive than the LG - granted due to no review etc we don't know where it's positioned in terms of quality but you can pick up a 47" LG 550T for just over £800 and this is 50% more again!?!?
  8. darnun

darnun Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Well it's a new model of course so you can rest assured it's more expensive than the LG550T but the truth is that 2011 LG sets suffered from many issues like banding, DSE, Lag etc etc.
    Panasonic tend to be better build quality and less likely to push out new passive stuff with the amount of issues that LG had. This of course remains to be seen.
    If the Panny is not that great and the new LGs haven't really ironed out the issues from 2011 then I will simply go for a 980T or 650T depending on how the size suits my wall
  9. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Probably a silly question but I assume the TX-L47ET5B is the same as the TX-L47ET5??
  10. darnun

darnun Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Haven't got a straight answer for you there Steve but I would assume so based on looking at other Panasonic model numbers from last year. I think the B is UK specific. In France it's E. So I think ET5 is the model and the letter after is country specific
  11. darnun

darnun Member

Ratings:
    +47
  12. flippence

flippence Member

Ratings:
    +39
    E5 is non 3d
    ET5 is 3d Passive
    ET50, DT50 and WT50 3D Active
    The suffix B is UK Suffix F is European (excluding UK)
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  13. darnun

darnun Member

Ratings:
    +47
    OK I have just been in to currys and tested the ET5B out. I did 2D to 3D conversion as well as full blurry 3D. Blown away is all I can say after such a short time testing it. The glasses are much nicer to wear than LG one.
    So I bought it and am just setting it up and will report back on my findings. :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    I'll be very interested in your opinions on this, I'm extremely tempted having had another look at the set in store today!

The only slight worry is my wife can't get on with reflective screens and while this one is matte, it still seems more reflective than other matte screens out there albeit not as reflective as the Samsung LED or plasma sets! Fingers crossed it isnt an issue!
  15. darnun

darnun Member

Ratings:
    +47
    OK A quick overview on this as I haven't had too much time to really go in depth.
    First impressions are really good.
    Sky HD looks absolutely incredible. I can't see anything wrong with it at all.
    2D TV is very good with really good colours and nice deep blacks.
    The 3D is superb and slightly better than the LG650T that I tested too.
    There was slight crosstalk on the very first bit of the LG 3D demo but the rest was amazing.
    All the 3D I have tested has been crosstalk free and wonderful to watch
    Played endless games on the PS3 and Xbox360 and experience ZERO lag.
    Gears of War 3 and Batman Arkham Asylum, both in 3D are fantastic.

The sound from the speakers is ok. A bit low on the treble but good enough for a small room. I use an amp and speaker set, so it doesn't bother me.

There are two things that I can not get my head round though.
    1. I DO NOT see any option in Drakes Uncharted 3 to go 3D. Originally thinking this was because it was going thru an Amp (even tho the amp is the New Onkyo 3D one) I attached the HDMI straight to the TV and still no option. The only thing I could do is to get the TV to convert to 3D which was no good. If anyone has any ideas let me know.
    2. I attached an Optical lead to the Optical OUT on the TV in to my Optical IN on the amp but I see no option anywhere, in the TV, to tell it to use Optical out. So when I attach a USB stick to the TV, to play some 3D demos, the sound will only come out the TV and not the amp. I'm sure a read of the manual though will sort that out.

So far I am blown away by this TV for the price. I see no banding or halos or anything that puts me off the picture at all. Maybe someone who is a pixel peeper will see something but I have tried very hard to see any problems on any picture I output at.

For £1200 I am seriously happy. Had this until tomorrow and if I wasn't happy Currys were happy to take it back but I now intend to keep it. i know the new LG sets have practically no bezel but that's not worth an extra £300 + for me.

Happy to answer any questions :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  16. Silverblack

Silverblack Active Member

Ratings:
    +445
    Wow your intial impressions for this tv sounds pretty good it does look nice in pictures, it must look even better in the flesh. If it sounds this good i can only imagine what the ET50s picture will be like.
  17. darnun

darnun Member

Ratings:
    +47
    There is one strange thing: I have attached the TV to my wireless network (N Wireless 5GHZ) and the network test works fine and it will look for software updates successfully but will not connect to Viera connect for love nor money. Just says server is unavailable.
    That's about the only thing, along with the SPDIF out that giving me issues. VERY happy with this so far and I do feel I have a better TV because it's a Panasonic
  18. mikeyboosh

mikeyboosh Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Any clouding or more importantly (to me) banding?
  19. stevep94

stevep94 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    My main issue with recent LED's has been feint vertical "streaks" when the picture is panning left or right on a solid background (ie. football) - have you noticed anything like this on your set?

I know each panel is different but one being OK is at the very least encouraging!
  20. roguejackal

roguejackal Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Thanks for your mini review, really helpful, is 47" the biggest that Panasonic are going with Passive 3D?
  21. flippence

flippence Member

Ratings:
    +39
    Looking to demo the ET5.
    AreaDVD.de review says it has ARC through HDMI to AVR. negating need for optical cable. Must put on my check list.
  22. mikeyboosh

mikeyboosh Member

Ratings:
    +6
    This is known as banding and it's a well know phenomenon on edge-lit led screen. Having said that I've seen it on a Shansung CCFL backlit TV as well (C650). Manufactures don't seem to care about it and it doesn't look like it's going away.

It's really distracting once you know it's there. You simply can't 'unsee' it.
  23. darnun

darnun Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Explain exactly what you mean by Clouding or banding and I will try to respond in that one.

Rogue Jackal they do a 55" too.
    Just shown it to two other friends, who are fairly geeky with this stuff and they love it
  24. mikeyboosh

mikeyboosh Member

Ratings:
    +6
    See above posts for description of banding, easy to see watching football. Clouding you will see brighter patches which look a bit like...well...clouds! See this picture of my Sony I returned last week. Clouding

You typically see it on dark scenes. That pic is an extreme example though.
  25. Boostrail

Boostrail Active Member

Ratings:
    +391
    Clouding is normally associated with PVA/MVA based technology panels as used by Sony, Samsung, and others, rather than than IPS based technology panels as used by LG and Panasonic and also some others. Again banding was previously mostly reported in relation to Sharp ASV panels that are also a VA variant

The problem most reported with LG and Panasonic Panels was backlight edge bleed both in CCFL and LED backlit variants.

I have not yet investigated with these Panasonic passive LCD TV's as to whether they are using in house IPS-alpha panels or as they do with their cheaper non 3D models bought in LG AS-IPS panels.

Whatever I think active 3D is on the way out .(except possibly for Plasmas?)

With a passive 3D I can just slip on the glasses I bought at the cinema for 99p and move around freely in good ambient light and enjoy the 3D experience .

An opportunity for specsavers here! I usually get "2 pairs for the price of one" HA HA but I usually get a pair of prescription sunglasses as well as my normal glasses - so now can they also throw in a polarised "3D" third pair?

I disagree with an earlier poster who indicated he could view his active system from wde angles. My experience of a Samsung and a Sony active system is sit in front or forget it.
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  26. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    Bloody hell that sony was bad.... with that much clouding i'd expect some heavy rainfall coming out of the screen too lol
  27. mikeyboosh

mikeyboosh Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Haha, it was bad like! That was with game mode on. Getting another on Wednesday so will see how that goes . I'm interested in this Panasonic though, depending on whether it suffers from banding it not.
  28. darnun

darnun Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Don't see anything like clouds that you mention. I am trying to pick fault but struggling
  29. goodfella121

goodfella121 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    thanks for the review im thinking of goin for the 42 inch but not sure yet . im thinking of waiting to see what the new lg ones are like but for what you have said i have to stay away from my tv shop or i goin to buy it lol
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  30. elhefepunk

elhefepunk Member

Ratings:
    +56
    It would be unfortunate if that was the case, well unless they rush out screens with double the current 1080p resolution anyway... each technology has it's strengths but for overall picture quality i feel that active wins hands down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.