Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any hack for Sony BDP S185?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Player Multiregion Hacks' started by MaFt, Nov 17, 2011.

1. MaFt

MaFt Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just picked up my first BD player for the whopping price of £49.97 at Tesco :D

However, I still have a number of Region 1 DVD's (going back a long time when it was cheaper to import from Canada as UK prices were £20+ back in 2000). Before I can free up some space and get rid of the old DVD player I'd like to know if I can make the DVD multi-region on the s185?

I've seen the posts for sharing the One-4-All remote for a handful of Sony BD players (which is a great idea by the way) but before I joined in on that I wondered if anyone had successfully made the s185 region free?

Failing that I suppose my options are to rip to the PC and create a region-free version or re-buy the 13 or so Region 1 DVD's on either R2 DVD or upgrade to BluRay.

Thanks in advance!

MaFt
  2. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
    The one-for-all remote hack has worked with all sony players for years so I see no reason why it wouldn't
  3. omdaddi

omdaddi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I confirm the oneforall hack works, but I had to be patient, type the codes in about five times, stand right in front of the player and hold the buttons down for a good while before I cracked it!

I suspect it is human error on my code entry that caused my problems. I used URC 7555 which sadly, after setting up could not control themselves actual Bluray. I need the special codes I guess.
  4. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
    Yes there is a different code to actually operate your player try the one for all website.
  5. omdaddi

omdaddi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Way ahead of you on that. Nothing from the website worked. I know I can learn from remote so that's what I'll have to do when I've got the oomph.
  6. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
    try 1516
  7. omdaddi

omdaddi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    1516 is not go. I suspect that it is not in the memory. The controller predates the Bluray by about five years so it is hardly surprising.
  8. omdaddi

omdaddi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hah! I'd forgotten how good the learning feature on the oneforall remotes is. All done, it took five minutes.
  9. mexicano

mexicano Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Is this the only way I can hack the 185? To buy a new remote control? There must be another way to do it. Any help?:)
  10. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
    There are different remotes you can use but ultimately you need another remote. The OFA is just the cheapest.
  11. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem and was wondering which remote you recommended buying and from where? Just looking for the cheapest option really.
  12. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
    I see from your other post you have already found the cheapest ;)
  13. Thrillhouse

Thrillhouse Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ha yer, I found the remote sharing thread and thought I'd add my name to the list. I would still however be interested in where i could buy my own remote for lending to my friends at home.
  14. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
  15. mands01

mands01 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I unlocked and made my BDP-S185 multi-region or regionfree using the one-for-all remote URC-7557.

First I used the one-for-all learing ability to sync the commands from the original sony remote as my one-for-all didnt recognize the sony dvd with one of its built in codes- so basically you copy onto the DVD (or whatever key you're using) setting all the keys from the original remote by having the two remotes face each other and using the code provided by your one-for-all manual. I guess thats what all the other random codes using the 994 and magic button do thats listed online but I couldn't get any of those to work, so just did it this way.

Once you are sure your remote works to power the player (which shouldnt take more than a few mins if you get into a routine with copying the functions, all you do is press each key back and forth until you've selected them all) simply turn the blue ray player on with the sony remote (should be at the standard xross bar menu), press DVD button on one-for-all remote then press 1,2,3,4,5 and finally turn the player off with the sony remote. Turn it back on and its now region-free.. for DVD's, I've not tried any blue-rays.. there was no flashing lights or any fireworks or anything, the buttons just lit up as each was pressed, I was skeptical it had even worked until I put a region 1 DVD in and it started to play.

Hope this helps, there were so many confusing things out there so just keep it simple!
  16. beecee

beecee Member

Ratings:
    +104
  17. gsm31

gsm31 Member

Ratings:
    +6
  18. geroz

geroz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    For Google: Confirmed - I got a One for All URC 3940 for about 10€ at Amazon.de. I was able to unlock both my black BDP-S185 and my silver BDP-S186. They are both European devices that accepted only my RC2 EU DVDs before, but now they also like my RC1 US DVDs.

I followed these instructions to the letter, and it worked. Note that the correct code to actually use the OfA to control the BDP-S185/186 is 21516 - but you you still need to start with 20533 as shown in the link above.
  19. dpswatson

dpswatson Member

Ratings:
    +1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. jay aich

jay aich Member

Ratings:
    +0
  21. MaestroSombrita

MaestroSombrita Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My player is Region 2. I do the bd-player multizone need a universal remote. I have seen that the model One For All URC 3940 are 32€, can I use the model One For All URC-3920 that is cheaper (10€)?

Best regards
  22. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
    I don't think it will think minimum you need is a dvd and a magic button.

3920 only has sat and TV buttons no DVD.

This appears to be the current remote which has replaced the others I think it is a 7130 also found instructions which I will paste below. Please let us know if you get one and it works.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/One-For-All...2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1357233895&sr=1-2

LATER ...

I found the hack below, and IT WORKED! So, for anyone else looking to unlock a SONY BDP S490 DVD player using a OneforAll URC Remote model 7130 here is the hack:

Region free BDP-S490 for DVD playback only, BD untested.

Full procedure for a oneforall remote is as follows:

1. Press DVD
    2. Hold the magic button until the DVD button flashes twice.
    3. Press 0533

4. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    5. Press 994
    6. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    7. Press 00189 (if your oneforall remote uses 4 digit or 3 digit codes, use less leading zeros)
    8. Press 1 ( this sets it to key 1 - it flashes twice )

9. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    10. Press 994
    11. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    12. Press 00255
    13. Press 2 ( this sets it to key 2 - it flashes twice )

14. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    15. Press 994
    16. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    17. Press 00095
    18. Press 3 ( this sets it to key 3 - it flashes twice )

19. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    20. Press 994
    21. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    22. Press 00221
    23. Press 4 ( this sets it to key 4 - it flashes twice )

24. Hold the magic button until it flashes twice.
    25. Press 994
    26. Press Magic Key (don't hold)
    27. Press 00079
    28. Press 5 ( this sets it to key 5 - it flashes twice )

The remote is now programmed and ready to use, to make the BDP-S490 region free:

1. Use the remote that came with the player to bring the player out of standby if it has gone into Standby - mine didn't, make sure there isn't a disc in it.
    2. Press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 on the oneforall remote. The message 'OK' will appear on the display.
    3. Put the player back into standby with the Sony remote
    4. Next time you turn on the player it will be region free for DVD playback.

PHEW!
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2013
  23. MaestroSombrita

MaestroSombrita Member

Ratings:
    +0
  24. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
    Yes that should do it.
  25. shimself

shimself Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On BPD-S185?
    do you know how? In particular the first code, which according to me is not 0533 20533 nor 1516?
    After that I make it
    dvd longM firstcode
    longM 994 M 001891
    longM 994 M 002552
    longM 994 M 000953
    longM 994 M 002214
    longM 994 M 000795

It all seems encouraging, lights flash on the remote with nice doubleflashes after a code is entered.
    But once I've programmed the URC7960, and aim it at the player, after pressing 5 the player turns itself off, encouraging again, but, oh well still playback forbidden by region code

Steve
    Thanks

Steve
  26. PW510249

PW510249 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep! it definitely works AND it works with a OFA 7555 too!
    Many, many, many thanks for a hack that even I could get a grip of :clap:
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  27. trpl

trpl Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am experiencing the same Problem... I bought my Player in US and trying to use it in Europe...
  28. mentm

mentm Active Member

Ratings:
    +416
    Only works on european models unfortunately.
  29. shimself

shimself Member

Ratings:
    +0

URC-7960 European Sony BDP-S185
    what did it for me was Sony DVP-SR90 Multi Region Free Hack

0533 to start with then program keys with the 2 leading 0s eg 001891 etc

good luck

Steve
  30. MiniGrim

MiniGrim Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey people

Just signed up as I've been trying to get my Sony BDP-S185 to unlock using the instructions in this board with my URC-7140 and nothing seems to work.
    I even changed the 20533 for 1516 and this didn't seem to work either.

When I press 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 the blu ray player switches off so when I turn it back on and put a disc in it just tells me playback is prohibited because of the region.

Any real positive step by step guides out to get this play unlocked using this remote?

Hope I hear back from someone soon! Me and the girlfriend want to watch Batman The Animated Series Season one!!!