1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any Any Philips photo frame owners had this problem?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BAD Dave, Jan 2, 2008.

1. BAD Dave

BAD Dave Member

Ratings:
    +18
    I have a 7" Philips photo frame (7FF I think) which is fab.
    However, some images from scanned slides or photos do not display properly in landscape format. The affected images (perhaps 1 in 5) are split vertically down the middle with the 2 halves of the image displayed the wrong way round (transposed). Some other images have a green band down the right vertical edge. The original scanned images appear fine on the PC.

Images from digital cameras are fine, only a proportion (say 20% ish) of scanned images in landscape format are affected!

I am scanning images from a HP S20 slide & photo scanner.

Any ideas?
    Thanks,
    Dave
  2. alfienoakes

alfienoakes Member

Ratings:
    +110
    I can't say I've had that issue on mine. Did you resize the images after scanning? I do this with all mine as it saves a lot of space. I'm pretty sure mine is the same model (7FF), I resize everything to 720 pixels on the longest side and 150dpi, and save as jpeg. This is the theoretical max it can display. It can be done quite quickly in batch mode in Elements or CS2/3. You may find a resize will cure it.

Only problem I have with my frame is it displaying odd or blank images if I use any CF or SD card over 512MB. This can be cured by pressing the leftmost button (when looking at the front screen) 3 times - which eventually takes you back to slideshow view and the bugs are gone.

Failing those two, there was a firmware upgrade I think for this frame. I'm not sure what it fixed though. Maybe also worth a look.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. BAD Dave

BAD Dave Member

Ratings:
    +18
    WOW! Thanks for such an informative answer!
    I have been messing around rescanning and resizing some of the problem images and It does seem that resizing or adjusting the length to width ratio does cure the problem. Resized images can be displayed properly.

2 more questions!

1. what is the maximum CF & SD capacity cards which can be used with the frame?

2. Does anyone have info on where to get the firmware upgrade?

Thanks again,
    David
  4. alfienoakes

alfienoakes Member

Ratings:
    +110
    1. I've tried both SD and CF cards of 2GB ok, but nothing bigger. Large cards do seem to exhibit problems as I mentioned earlier.

2. I'm not sure if this link will work. It should take you to a list of photo frames on the Philips support site. Choose the model you have and if there is any other firmware available it will be listed on the "software and drivers" page. I managed to flash mine with the wrong one before, so be careful. I did recover it eventually but for a time i thought it was hosed.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. BAD Dave

BAD Dave Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Great minds think alike / fools seldom differ!!

As coincidence would have it, I was actually on the Philips support site when your reply came through. I have downloaded and installed the Firmware update (version A1.51) and all seems well.

As far as I can tell, all my scanned pictures now seem to display correctly. Although I have sucessfully resized most of my scanned pictures, there is one which I have not altered and which now displays correctly.
    So it seems that the new firmware has sorted things out!

According to the Philips website, the new Firmware has 2 roles:
    1. Extends SD card support from 1 GB to 2 GB
    2. Increases maximum photos support number from 4096 to 10240

(URL here : (http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/...file=/files/7/7ff1aw_00/7ff1aw_00_fur_eng.pdf)

So, thanks to Alfienoakes, I am all sorted now
    Cheers!
    David
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. alfienoakes

alfienoakes Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Thanks for reporting back BAD Dave. It sounds like this update may fix my other problem too. I will be giving it a go.:smashin:
  7. BAD Dave

BAD Dave Member

Ratings:
    +18
    What was your other problem?

I have new problem relating to FAT v FAT32 v NTFS & SD card size.

I cannot write all the jpgs i need to fill a 2GB SD without running into a Windoew error (0x70080052 The directory of file cannot be created).

I am currently trying all combinations of SD card size, SD format & PC format to try and overcome it!

Any ideas welcome!

David
  8. alfienoakes

alfienoakes Member

Ratings:
    +110
    My other problem was using large card sizes and corruption. Unfortunately there is no new firmware for mine. I have a slightly different model to you. I have a workaround though.

Regarding your new issue. That rings some bells with me too. I can't for the life of me remember how I overcame it. I know I now have mutliple folders of pics on the card, rather than all of them in the root or single folder. That may be how I got around it. May be worth a try unless somebody else has some ideas?