1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti-Mode vs XT32 for SVS PBUltra13

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by aandpwoodley, Aug 16, 2011.

1. aandpwoodley

aandpwoodley Active Member

Ratings:
    +458
    Well,

I get my new Ultra tomorrow and feel I need to do a bit of Sub EQing however I don't have the time for REW or the patience TBH.

Now I've been told different stories by different people but here goes.

I have a Onkyo 5008 which has Multi XT32 so I would not get any futher benefit from a dedicated sub eq system or would I benefit from the Anti-mode or even the SVS AS-EQ1 in my system. Now I know I don't have any graphs to show what's going.

I guess all I want to know is would I be waisting my money or can improvement be made In view of what EQ my Onkyo already has.

thanks in advance
  2. gregmcquaid

gregmcquaid Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Really you would need to get some graphs first to see what's going on in room.

I had a SVS 20-39 Pc Plus back in the day and i thought i had an excellent in room response without any eq.

Purchased an antimode and the sound went from excellent to absolutely sublime, i certainly couldn't live without it once it was there.

If you cant't do rew graphs maybe you could get the sub all setup and give it a month or 2 to break in, play about with placement and see if you are happy with the sound. Then maybe think about a seperate eq device if you think you need it.

Cheers,
    Greg
  3. aandpwoodley

Ratings:
    +458
    Thanks, due to the size of the sub playing with placement is not possible, however its in a fairly good location, about 15-20cm from the corner of the room in line with the front 3 speakers.

I was told that because I have XT32 a separate EQ device will not make much improvement, or is that not the case, I don't mind spending the money on a antimode or a EQ1, I just don't want to waste it.

thanks
  4. paulst10

paulst10 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,150
    Do you have an SPL metre ?

If so, you can download these http://www.avforums.com/forums/subw...s/856057-subwoofer-full-range-test-tones.html

Take note of the SPL's for each given frequency and plot them on a graph or simply post the levels as it should give everyone a better idea of your current FR :)

There is an xls spreadsheet already prepared that you can input your figures to (see attach.) :smashin:

IMO though, the auto EQ devices are somewhat inconsistent so you could run Audyssey or an Anti-Mode once, then run it again and get a completely different result. Whether this is down to minute differences in mic placement or not I don't know, but personally I think you'd be better off experimenting a little with the Audyssey you already have :)

Attached Files:

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2011
  5. aandpwoodley

Ratings:
    +458
    Thanks paulst10,

My sub will be here tomorrow so will either do this tomorrow or thursday and report back my numbers, thanks for your help.