1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anti bump locks on uPVC doors

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by THE AMATUER, Feb 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DJT75

DJT75 Active Member

Ratings:
    +631
    Just had a composite door fitted too. It was only a couple of hundred quid more than a PVC & looks the dogs. Lock can't be snapped, bumped, drilled, anything - super secure.

Rockdoor - Totally Secure & Maintenance Free Composite Doors

Edit - oops, didn't spot the spamming, sorry
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2010
  2. Orson

Orson Moderator

Ratings:
    +572
    For anyone who's interested, and in the interests of fairness, coming from someone who deals with door locks & cylinders on a daily basis, and has done so for the past... 20 years or so :)

There are several manufacturers of either Anti-bump, Anti-snap, Anti-drill & Anti-pick (and various combinations thereof) door cylinders available, some lock manufacturers you may have heard of, but most you won't have.
    A simple web search will find lots.
    It's difficult to recommend one more than another, as there are many that perform equally; to narrow the choice, look for certifications, British/European Standards etc.

However, personally I'd steer well clear of any make of any product that is recommended by someone who resorts to pretending to be a satisfied customer, when in fact they are connected with the manufacture/supply of said product.

But to set a few minds at ease, in my previous job, I supplied an average of 250 doors per week for 14 years, and the number we heard about being snapped was barely in double figures. Obviously, we won't of heard about them all, but it should give some kind of perspective. And snapping is far more common than any of the other methods.

So as Nick Ross would say.... don't have nightmares :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. LV426

LV426 Administrator

Ratings:
    +2,850
    I just want to stress; the matter above is about a specific SUPPLIER - not about the manufacturer or brand.
  4. Chadford

Chadford Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,189
    Just out of interest, can standard Yale locks be 'bumped'?
  5. Orson

Orson Moderator

Ratings:
    +572
    Basically any cylinder type lock, from any manufacturer can be bumped, unless it has an anti bump feature.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Fowl

Fowl Member

Ratings:
    +137
    Pretty much. I saw a guy on youtube doing a padlock as well. Seems like a pretty huge flaw.

Funnily enough my parents have just had a uvpc door fitted the day before I heard of this.

I plan on making a bump key just to see if it's doable.
  7. 27neth

27neth Active Member

Ratings:
    +329
    My joiner mate has one which fits the whole of the housing estate he worked on :D He made it so he did not have to drill the locks out when the tenants done a runner (it does work well). it takes about a minute to get in..

John..
  8. ACB16v

ACB16v Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    You are right about the UPVC problem. The anti snapping is the thing to watch.

I use Mul-T-Lock on various different platforms, mainly Intergrator, MT5, Interactive or Garrison depending on budgets etc...

The best way is to key all the upvc doors the same (one key as stated above) and then put SASH jammers on the windows also if required.

Happy to help if required..

Andy
  9. DJ Ovengloves

DJ Ovengloves Active Member

Ratings:
    +666
    I purchased the same locks and also had CISA locks before :smashin:

If you read the blurb on the website - they themselves state that bumping is hardly used in the real-world ;) That said I feel better for installing them.

10. rickthepick

rickthepick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have worked as a locksmith for many years now and have never attnded the scene of a burglary involving bumping, its complete rubbish and would only get you in a handful of cheap chinese junk locks and even then still requires a certain amount of technique that bob the burglar doesnt have.

I can see that avocet are spamming this board in order to raise awareness of the new abs cylinder which in fact can be picked open fairly easilly anyway although do provide better protection against locks snapping.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 5, 2011
  11. Flimber

Flimber Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,261
    [-]Pot calling Kettle...ah, never mind...[/-] :)

Where please ?
  12. Orson

Orson Moderator

Ratings:
    +572
    It was in Post 26 & 28. They were advertising, and were infracted... seems rickthepick is doing the same :)
  13. Flimber

Flimber Administrator

Ratings:
    +4,261
    Ta. Spot who couldn't be bothered scrolling up :)
  14. Orson

Orson Moderator

Ratings:
    +572
    That must be the 'super' part coming out :D
  15. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,163
    Also some genuine members were recommending some products and as a new member rick the pick probably couldn't spot the genuines from the spammers
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. rickthepick

rickthepick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wasnt advertising or pushing towards any product :( my site gives advice and info on upvc doors and locks.

I cant see a problem with me providing a relevant link, even if i do have my own agenda.

I wont argue the case though you're the mod
  17. DJ Ovengloves

Ratings:
    +666
    As I mentioned!

I find it a bit rich that you then go to mention lock picking...you of all people should know that burglars don't pick locks, locksmith's do!

18. Orson

Orson Moderator

Ratings:
    +572
    Oooh, promotion! When do I get the 'outfit' :D
  19. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,163
    :) You mean you haven't received it yet? :laugh:
  20. arrons

arrons Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thats because police and fire service dont know how to get into them like burglars do, composite doors are just as simple as upvc doors unless the locks have been upgraded to anti snap/bump cylinders along with pas24 high security handles
  21. DJ Ovengloves

Ratings:
    +666
    Andf I'll bet you'll tell us where to get them from :rolleyes:

(and you should know that some locks don't need the PAS24 handles to be PAS24 certified) :thumbsdow
  22. arrons

arrons Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As regards to wich is most secure i have to as a locksmith/joiner strongly disagree with you, wooden doors are much more secure than upvc doors by a long long way thiefs cant compromise the 5 lever locks like they can with multipoint locks.I have been called out to thousands of break-ins and its always upvc doors or doors that have multipoint locks. However you can now get upvc doors that have multipoint locks fitted that use the same type key as a 5 lever bs3621 lock that are commonly fitted in wooden doors

So the way to put a stop to burglars getting through your doors in a few seconds is to buy a upvc door with the MORTICE type key NOT the CYLINDER type key, this puts an end to snapping and bumping full stop. Once all upvc doors have this type of mortice key operation then they will be just as secure as wooden doors.

But do remember if someone realy wants to get into your property they will do no matter what security you have, its just the pure simplicity of getting into upvc doors that burglars target them
  23. Orson

Orson Moderator

Ratings:
    +572
    I'm not sure which part you strongly disagree with, if you read the post you quoted, you'll see that I said "a good quality PVCu door with decent locks & cylinders", not a cheap crap door with rubbish locks.

That's a bit like me saying all wooden doors are rubbish because I've replaced some that had 'Pound Shop' two lever locks that I could open with a spoon.
  24. arrons

arrons Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If its got a cylinder type lock its rubbish with or without snap safe cylinders and i think you will find that the huge majority of wooden doors have 5 lever mortice locks to bs3621 if they havent they need upgrading to meet this standard, i have never been to a job yet to replace the locks on a wooden door and found 2 lever locks although i have on internal wooden doors, top and bottom of it upvc doors are by far easier to get into thats why burglars prefer them, i havent come across any external wooden doors that have 2lever locks fitted but i can go on every street of every town and find a pvc door that a burglar can get into in 20 to 30 seconds they cant do this with wooden doors fitted with 5 LEVER BS3621 INSURANCE STANDARD locks.All i will say is to people that are not sure, if you get upvc doors make sure its got the lock mechanism that as the mortice type key then you will keep the burglars away because they can tell straight away by the key way. where do you get them from! shop around.......Rolleyes
  25. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +11,163
    I think you are very naive or disingenuous if you don't think most wooden front doors don't just have a low grade Yale type cylinder lock in them... And if they do come with an additional dead lock, how often are they used? I suspect most wooden back doors still only have two or three cylinder mortice locks in them at most, either.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2011
  26. arrons

arrons Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What a load of bull.... i think its you thats naive you are wrong. The point is this, people are worried about burglars if a burglar was going to break into a house there was 2 houses to choose from 1 with a wooden door 1 with a upvc by the way the wooden door as a low grade yale cylinder the burglar would choose the upvc door every time . This is not about locksmiiths getting into doors its about the thief. by the way iam not against upvc doors they are great like i say especially to the general public choose a pvc door that as the mortice key operated locking mechanism.
  27. Orson

Orson Moderator

Ratings:
    +572
    I know I should.'t, but I can't help myself... :D

Ok.
    Absolutely incorrect. There are some cheap rubbish cylinders about, and there are also some really, really good ones.

I think you will find they do not. The majority I've replaced (25 years) have, as IG said above, single Yale type cylinder latch/locks, only they're generally a cheap 'own brand' that can be bought for a couple of quid from many places. And can be opened with a screwdriver fairly easily in a lot of cases.

I'll stop now, as I don't really want to make any more work for people, and disagreeing with someone as rude as you are is only likely to cause the generally pleasant folks on here more hassle.

:rolleyes: :D
  28. ldoodle

ldoodle Active Member

Ratings:
    +571
    I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet, but also think about the handles as well.

I replaced mine last year with mole-grip resistent ones, as well as PAS24 certification. Changed the cylinders to keyed-alike ones with anti-everything.

Cost me about £70 all in from handlestore.com

Cylinder: Euro Cylinders For uPVC Door Locks Anti-Bump and Anti-Snap Resistance
    Handles: HandleStore.com – upvc window handles - upvc door handles

At the end of the day, if someone really wants to get in, they will get in. Short of having nuclear bomb proof doors/windows there's not much you can do - delay them/make them give in yes, entirely stop crazily determined ones no.
  29. Antonyc

Antonyc Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Didn't read the whole thread but know that burglars rarely smash through doors through a Police man friend; they often lever open wooden windows at the rear of the house or bump/snap ordinary euro-profile cylinders (the ones commonly found in uPVC doors).

You can buy the Mul-T-Lock Break Secure and Kaba pExtra LAM (both high-security) here Lock Cylinder High-Security Replacements | Buy Online | CIA.

There is a video showing how very easily they can be fit - a 5 minute job. I got my 'key outside, turn knob inside' cylinder from these guys, I ordered online - a breeze - the locks turned up next day with the extra keys I'd ordered and I've gone back since and ordered a key both ends type for my front door that works off of the same key! U can't get that from Screwfix!!!

:lesson:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2011
  30. Switch625

Switch625 Member

Ratings:
    +111
    So after reading in the news today about the rise in lock snapping (link) I've been thinking about fitting an anti bump/snap lock on our door.

One result that comes up is the Avocet ABS (link) - does anyone in the know recommend these? Or has anybody updated their locks to these?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.