1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anthony Gallo v's Bose

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by hliaw, Dec 30, 2009.

1. hliaw

hliaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi All,

Been doing some research on some new speakers and was wondering if anyone out there has actually compared the sound quality of the Anthony Gallo micro speakers to the Bose Jewel cubes??

Also, I'm thinking of hooking up the following systems to replicate the bose and if anyone could think of anything that may not work together.

B&W ASW610 SUBWOOFER and the
    ONKYO TX-NR807 Black 7.2 Channel AV Receiver

together with the A G micro speakers (5 of them).

Any suggestions or thoughts are most welcome.

Many thanks
  2. Member 639844

Member 639844 Former Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,134
    The AGs, B&W sub and Onkyo will be better than the Bose period.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Grayman

Grayman Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I may as well be the first to say it :) the BK subs go really well with the AG Micro's, so worth saving a few quid and choosing an appropriate BK sub.

Ive got 5 Micro Ti's and two Gemini Mk2's, really good home cinema system for its size and cost.
  4. Sampson

Sampson Member

Ratings:
    +16
    I too am looking at small speakers for a house move with a smaller lounge. Recently heard the bose acoustimass 15 speakers and was stunned, though I understand other options may be better.

My question is, if I went for, say 5 x AG micro and a Gemini Mk2 sub, ignoring size benefits, would they actually sound better or worse than my current setup of larger mission speakers (front floor standers, rear + surround "bookcase" speakers - see sig).
    Ideally I'd like to retain 7.1, but might have to go 5.1 due to size of new room.
    I loved the look of the dué ones, till I saw the £500 each price!!!
    Also, are the micro Ti's actually better sound quality than the normal micros, and would the AG's own TR-1 sub not be a better match than a gemini or other?
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2009
  5. hliaw

hliaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks all, what i'm planning as well is to link the PS3 up and have this be my all in all Blue Ray, DVD, gamer and music storage/player system.

Don't think its necessary to have a separate Blueray...

Have the Sky HD+ and I think i'm set...???

Thanks
  6. hliaw

hliaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Now there's a thought, are the Micro Ti's much better than the normal micros and worth the extra price...??
  7. Grayman

Grayman Member

Ratings:
    +61
    The Micro Ti's are a significant improvement over the standard Micro's, but carry a significant price increase as well. I looked at it as a long term installation so spent the extra, as opposed to possibly getting to a point where I felt the Micro's werent good enough and changing again.

Both get excellent reviews and sound very good, but the Ti's have a better driver.

As far as how they would compare to your current system, unfortunately the only way to know would be to try some.

I went from Mission E34 floorstanders and large Mission surrounds, and dont feel im missing anything, but the sound is completely different. The Micro Ti's are amazing for developing big sound from tiny speakers, but they will always be slightly limited against larger speakers. I dont mind or even notice the limitations, I use mine mostly for movies and games though, whereas if it was mostly for music I may find I miss floorstanders.

Bottom line is that as a sub £1000 compact surround system (5 Ti's and a Gemini for example) it performs better than others I tried and punches well above it's weight, looks really cool as well, and when demo'ing it for friends they are in disbelief that such a compact system can produce the sound it does. I never tried the Bose stuff though, as I always ehard they were overpriced, but be interesting to hear a comparison if you get to demo some AG's.

You could even buy two or three AG's second hand from here and try them in place, if you dont like them you'd be able to get just about what you paid for them back.
  8. Grayman

Grayman Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Forgot to add, the Gemini is a much better sub that the AG one, and matches the speakers perfectly. It has an upper frequency of 120Hz which is as low as the Micro's go, so they match up nicely, and performance wise the gemini is a tough one to beat for a sub it's size and cost.

You could look at an XLS200 as well, not much bigger but with more pwoer than the Gem, depending on your room size etc.
  9. hliaw

hliaw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks mate, think you have reassured me on the AG Micro Tis.

Appreciate everyones comments.