1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anthem MRX Series Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by NickEdin, Jun 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rock Danger

Rock Danger Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,201

Canti at home, yesterday :laugh:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. NickEdin

NickEdin Member

Ratings:
    +75
    I have texted someone who will know for certain.

Chris.
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  3. Canti1982

Canti1982 Member

Ratings:
    +96
    It's always the way, In my case it's normally an expensive vet bill. If you think AV costs a lot try getting a pet ;-)

To back up what others have said with regard to Chris and Ricky, I have got a lot of information from them on the forums and have also bought from both. They have always benn very helpful even when your not buying from them.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  4. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    tell me about that!!! £1500 ive just done on our dog!
  5. AndrewH13

AndrewH13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +805
    And I've just backed into a pillar in the underground Travelodge carpark leaving Bristol. That's gonna cost!
  6. NickEdin

NickEdin Member

Ratings:
    +75
    Just had confirmation. Anthem are currently running the Paradigm Cinema 100CT speaker package with the MRX300 at the show.

Paradigm Cinema 100CT

These speakers retail for £949.00 inc. VAT for the entire 5.1 channel package including the subwoofer. :thumbsup:

The Cinema Sub is available for £349 on its own and the sats are £299 for a pair or £449 for three.

Cheers,

Chris.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  7. rjrodders

rjrodders Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Thought I would chime in with my experience as a early adopter MRX 300 owner for nearly 12 months.

I also went to bristol show abeit 2 years ago and heard what i consider to be the best HC dem ever by Anthem/Paradigm with the Flagship Statement processor driving the flagship paradigm speakers and the infamous SUB 1 subwoofers four of them.

That convinced me Anthem are a organisation who know a thing about HC although at a starting point of 6k 7k for their processors strictly high end.

The master stroke of releasing a receiver range with the ARC eq had me drooling and i knew that was going to be my next upgrade without even hearing one !!!!! ok got a bit excited there of course i had a demo which posted in another thread.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/14202048-post107.html

In the end i saw a MRX on sale in the forums at a great price needless to say i snapped it up in a heartbeat and have never seen one for sale again used anywhere !!!! unless ex-dem of course.

So i had the challenge of setting up this baby myself. long story short was it difficult no .... did it take longer than say a audessy or Macc set up... yes
    because those do not involve a PC. So if you can use a pc and follow instructions it is no harder than connecting a VHS video recorder 30 years ago when they were the must have tech :devil:

However i caveat that with....do you have the ability and or experience to use those results/graphs and extract that last 5/10 percent to gain the absolute best audio perfection your room and set up can deliver.... unless your an experienced tweaker probally not so you two options learn yourself i.e from the AVS forums where you see just how these recievers have changed the game and been a massive success or pay your dealer to do it .... simples !!!

Believe me i am not a natural tweaker by nature but i do have a strong passion for HT and how i can continually improve my set up, 90 percent of what i have initaily learned has been through forums like this and AVS, so whilst not a techie or tweaker, through sheer ethusaim for this product i have put the work in to understand what its all about and how to use it. That in essence is what you are paying dealers for thier knowledge and experince.

But i am also keen to stress to potential future MRX owners no matter what your technical capability ... remember this is a commodity product with a competetive edge IMO do not be put off by this is a dealer install product. I am sure Anthem would not want to be losing sales for the perception their mid range receivers are dealer install only in the UK as that sure is not the case in the US and country of Origin Canada. As i said Its up to you how you take advantage of that competetive edge (ARC) :devil:
  8. Buckster

Buckster Moderator

Ratings:
    +211
    rjodders - alll good and thanks - but you've left out one part....

whether it sounds any good or not !! :devil:
  9. rjrodders

rjrodders Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Ok and you can quote me on this ...." the best sounding receiver pound for pound due in part to a room eq system so sophisticated that it empowers you to see and then tweak and gain maximum performance within your environment from your speakers"

talk is cheap ..... go listen for yourself .... note I came from a denon 3808 which probably sounds very close if not the same to a 4311 and whilst it sounded very good and matched nicely with my MA's The Anthem has taken the sound to another level mainly due to ARC.

Hope that helps.
  10. Buckster

Buckster Moderator

Ratings:
    +211

thanks very much :) sounds good

I'm a bit 50:50 between an Anthem MX300 @ 1100 or a Denon 3312@600 with a nice power amp - for same price
  11. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    Well ive had denon, arcam,onkyo,yamaha,tag,rotel and the anthem is the best sound ive ever had in my room?

Swmbo says so so its obviously true
  12. rjrodders

rjrodders Member

Ratings:
    +47
    Your second option is not a bad one but still leaves you with ....wait for it !!!!

ARC LESS :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Trust me the 300 will be good enough power wise from day one with the option to use as a pre only in the future and add a juicy power r amp if you feel you need it or upgrade your speakers.

The smart money in the US are partnering this with high end power amps and speakers with a view to upgrading to a dedicated high end processor and then finding they dont need to ... well for movies espically its that good.
  13. Buckster

Buckster Moderator

Ratings:
    +211
    cheers - its still at top of the list

I had a demo round a mates last night of an Onkyo 607 of all things - and to my great surprise it sounded fantastic - pretty impressive for something that was <£400. Looked clunky, and not heard great things re reliability (not sure whether true or not) - but pound for sound was pretty shockingly good
  14. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,272
    Definitely the way to go in my view, get the best processing and room correction you can for the money and add a power amp later if you find you need it.

Cheers,

Chris.
  15. Buckster

Buckster Moderator

Ratings:
    +211
    cheers Chris - I'll check my online piggybank tonight see what I can justify :smashin:
  16. rjrodders

rjrodders Member

Ratings:
    +47
    There you go ..... and the mrx AT 1100 IS A STEAL and would have the onk for breakfast .....lunch and dinner :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: (only joking onk owners)
  17. Crustyloafer

Ratings:
    +1,272
    No he's not. :devil:
  18. Rock Danger

Ratings:
    +1,201
    I might go with 2x MC50's for tri-amp justice or a possible upgrade to a sub 1 or sub 25. With a decent 65'' TV being at least 2 yrs away the money has to go into audio.
  19. Crustyloafer

Ratings:
    +1,272
    I assume you mean the MCA50? A fine choice indeed sir. I assume you are going to tri-amp the front three channels and leave one channel unused?
  20. Andris L

Andris L Active Member

Ratings:
    +601
    I thought that my TX-SR606 was amazing as well until I got MRX-300 ;).
  21. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    My 300 smashed a wonky 5507 into the ground....
  22. Rock Danger

Ratings:
    +1,201
    Yes, MCA50 - It's looking that way, 3x3x3 leaves me with 1 but 2x2x3x2 does all and leaves one also..
  23. AndrewH13

AndrewH13 Active Member

Ratings:
    +805
    Thanks, close to what I reported - 'whole speaker setup was included at a RSP of only £1100!'

It was one of the impressive rooms at the show, so with better speakers this MRX must be pretty special.
  24. TopMeTom

TopMeTom New Member

Ratings:
    +270
    It is! For me now though, i'm travelling towards millenia territory...dear god!
  25. Buckster

Buckster Moderator

Ratings:
    +211
    that is impressive

did anyone check any suspicious looking furniture or behind any curtains - no-one had hidden a SVS-PC-U anywhere had they ? I often get asked where my subwoofer is ...! lol
  26. Crustyloafer

Ratings:
    +1,272
    Anthem/Paradigm tend not to cheat at these things, first there is no need for them to do so as their products are good enough anyway. Secondly it would totally defeat the purpose if the customers who went away from the show interested in their products and then got another demo at the dealer only to be bitterly disappointed by the performance there.

I have not heard the new Cinema 100CT system myself, it is something I believe we are hoping to get in the store in the near future though and judging from people's comments on here who have listened to it I think sooner rather than later would be a good idea.

I am genuinely surprised that Anthem chose to run such a low cost system at the show, but it sounds like they have come up trumps with a £2k speaker and amp combination that would comfortably rival if not beat anything else out there at that sort of money.

Cheers,

Chris.
  27. Buckster

Buckster Moderator

Ratings:
    +211
    Chris - I wasn't being serious it was tongue in cheek - I probably missed off a smiley :)

:smashin:

I'm not sure whether to order an Anthem next week or not atm - my Pioneer has re-sprung back into life after re-doing the wiring at the back (nothing was found wrong - just re-made the connections) - so either it was a short somewhere or its a dry joint in the amp somewhere
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  28. Crustyloafer

Ratings:
    +1,272
    You know that if you don't it will keep niggling you until you do.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  29. Crustyloafer

Ratings:
    +1,272
    Is that anywhere near Scotland? :laugh:
  30. Buckster

Buckster Moderator

Ratings:
    +211

nice !!! :)

btw - if you bi-amp the fronts - can you still use the Left/Right Back pre-outs into a power amp for 7.1 ? (a feature I've got on my Pioneer)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.