Anthem MRX 310 / 510 / 710 Series Owners Thread

MRX finally updated. Several issues but got there in the end.
Lip sync issues remain and I now have a unacceptable pop and thump through the sub when changing channels on Sky. This is due to codec change from PCM to DD. Totally unacceptable noise that wasn't there prior to this update.

Oppo 103 says I am on the latest firmware via net, which it is not according to Oppo. Tried to install from USB but player says no firmware found.

Looks like MRX will need to be swapped out and not sure what's going in with Oppo. Have emailed Nick.
Did Andrew send you a us update for the oppo? It won't work on our models. You need to take the beta off the oppo uk site. The uk beta is about to go official as the us has just done.

I'm not recognising your problems on 1.1.9. I've got no thump when the PCM adverts change to the dd programme and the delay is improved though still a bit obvious. My lip sync is improved after installing the two betas as well.

Just tried some HD MKV's and it results in a loud tzzzzzzt when starting (haven't tried much else and don't watch tv). Jolting, but prefer it over missing time when listening to tracks in playlist simply due to the frequency and my entertainment habits. Hopefully firmware updates will tame this

[edit] this would be PCM > DTS + DTS-HDMA

Last edited:
Did Andrew send you a us update for the oppo? It won't work on our models. You need to take the beta off the oppo uk site. The uk beta is about to go official as the us has just done.

I'm not recognising your problems on 1.1.9. I've got no thump when the PCM adverts change to the dd programme and the delay is improved though still a bit obvious. My lip sync is improved after installing the two betas as well.
Yes it's the US version I have just seen.
I will see if I can get the beta off the UK Oppo site.

The pop and thump occur when changing channels going from a channel on PCM to an HD channel in DD.
So you to have had lip sync issues?

I've had lip sync issues on hd audio but everything else seems more or less fine. I've been using 90ms as a general setting but just switched it back to zero this evening for some Netflix and it's fine. Will check what happens with a bluray tomorrow.

I've had lip sync issues on hd audio but everything else seems more or less fine. I've been using 90ms as a general setting but just switched it back to zero this evening for some Netflix and it's fine. Will check what happens with a bluray tomorrow.
I have to set to 80ms for Sky and about 90 to 100ms for bluray. It's just that blu ray is now all over the place with different setting needed for different discs.

No one should be having to set lip sync for anything these days, it's something that had been grandfathered in from ye olden times. I think it was for hardware sporting less than HDMI 3 as video would arrive further ahead of audio.

Or it was the other way around. Anyway it should have been sorted ages ago.

I get a wee pop going from maybe DD2.0 to 5.1 on sky but not on the fly like it does on sky movies, you actually have to be watching something from the planner then back out of it on to a DD5.1 channel.

The only mkv tearing I've had was on beta 1.16 but it also removed the Anthem Logic modes from the receiver.

Pops and tears are not an Anthem thing I've even heard 2 different TVs do it.

Mkv and HTPC tearing is really down to certain combos or drivers and players.

For example VLC 1.11 was the last version released that wouldn't loose sync on DTS when you would jump large chunks back of forward in the movie. Not any other codec, just DTS.

Only recently has this been fixed for my combo of stuff. But on the other hand this was never a problem on MPCHC and it decodes DTSMA etc flawlessly.

There's a lot more to hdmi than you'd think it's was not well thought out and hardware manufacturers have been playing catchup ever since.

The only people that almost do it flawlessly are Yamaha... Go figure.

If your amp is not locking on to multiple sources and requires standing on one leg and chanting to accept a fw update it's a bad sign.

And it's not like certain people (Rich) haven't been told this several times over the last 6 months.

I rarely get the pop rip except in the above situation but it's so rare that I'd lower myself to DD2.0 on sky anyway, might as well throw my own poop at strangers while I'm at it.

I got firmware 1.19 from Anthem and it installed first time.

I haved my lipsync set at 150ms, I always put this down to my TV being slow, despite have all processing turned off. Although recently I have noticed some Sky TV channels being a bit out and since the last Sky box update I had to add more delay via the Sky menu.

Once again Nick@homesound has provided excellent service.
He has arranged for Anthem to supply a new 510.
You cant get any better than that. :smashin:

I'm hopefully getting the 310 in a few weeks, do you think there'll be much of a step up in performance from my Sony STRDA2400ES :D

If I buy a 310 mrx would I have a problem running two subs in a "duo" stack?

Sent from my iPad using AVForums

Fanks! :D

Sent from my iPad using AVForums

I have 2 subs, I manually measured them individually with a SPL meter, then I ran them both together and checked them with quick measure. I was quite lucky as I ended up with a nice response straight away. I then ran ARC and let it deal with the rest.

However mine are at opposite corners of the room and different subs. If yours are the same and you are stacking them, you might be able to just set them to the same level, then have a look at quick measure or just let ARC do it's thing.

You cant get any better than that. :smashin:

You can get something that just works, and I'd say that's miles better than having the headache and time loss caused by faulty gear.

I am very much put off by the amount of trouble people have with their MRXes, and that replacements are being given out like candy.

The 710 I tried myself was itself not working properly and required frequent settings resets.

What's the warranty on these receivers? Two years? All these problems tell me that in two years lots of people are gonna be looking for new receivers.

You can get something that just works, and I'd say that's miles better than having the headache and time loss caused by faulty gear.

I am very much put off by the amount of trouble people have with their MRXes, and that replacements are being given out like candy.

The 710 I tried myself was itself not working properly and required frequent settings resets.

What's the warranty on these receivers? Two years? All these problems tell me that in two years lots of people are gonna be looking for new receivers.

It's 3 yrs I think. Who are 'all these people'? Dip your head into any avr manufacturer thread and you'll see plenty of people having various issues.

Mine works fine and always has, I just don't need to mention it because it's hardly newsworthy. If a retailer is swapping units out well after the standard grace period, it's more a customer service topic than anything else.

If it worries you so much don't buy one.

It's 3 yrs I think. Who are 'all these people'? Dip your head into any avr manufacturer thread and you'll see plenty of people having various issues.

Mine works fine and always has, I just don't need to mention it because it's hardly newsworthy. If a retailer is swapping units out well after the standard grace period, it's more a customer service topic than anything else.

Yes, 3 years on the new MRX. For any swapped out-with the normal grace period (which is not many considering the amount sold) is purely a customer service issue, on my part anyway. I cant speak for others. If you pay for a premium product you should expect a premium service.

Who are 'all these people'? Dip your head into any avr manufacturer thread and you'll see plenty of people having various issues.

"These people" are people posting with problems in this forum and in the mirror thread on avsforums.

It does worry me much because I've been considering it. While other manufacturers have their share of troubles, I don't see that all are affected in the same manner.

Anthem is a small manufacturer, I think, and they probably don't sell that many units. That so many of what they do sell have problems indicates to me that some reliability problems exist with the new MRX series, and my personal experience confirms it.

Whether a 3 year warranty and the (good) sound quality makes up for this, it's a value judgement.

Certainly, your tone won't convince me of anything. You sound like I committed an offence by violating the dignity of your working receiver. Relax...

Yes, 3 years on the new MRX. For any swapped out-with the normal grace period (which is not many considering the amount sold) is purely a customer service issue, on my part anyway. I cant speak for others. If you pay for a premium product you should expect a premium service.
I had my 300 for a couple of years and it was faultless.

My new 510 is being delivered tomorrow. As Ross said if you look at any manufacturers thread you will read about the few faulty units as they will be highlighted there.
The Anthems are replaced if there is an issue quickly by dealers in question as Dan says because they operate a premium customer support service too

"These people" are people posting with problems in this forum and in the mirror thread on avsforums.

It does worry me much because I've been considering it. While other manufacturers have their share of troubles, I don't see that all are affected in the same manner.

Anthem is a small manufacturer, I think, and they probably don't sell that many units. That so many of what they do sell have problems indicates to me that some reliability problems exist with the new MRX series, and my personal experience confirms it.

Whether a 3 year warranty and the (good) sound quality makes up for this, it's a value judgement.

Certainly, your tone won't convince me of anything. You sound like I committed an offence by violating the dignity of your working receiver. Relax...

They would be small in volume of units sold against someone like Yamaha, but then so would any company that doesn't sell budget AV equipment. If you want to compare them on the basis that their R&D is all done in house and their DSP is their own homegrown algorithm or that their sister company Paradigm makes their own drive units soley for their own loudspeaker range again in house, then they would be considered quite prosperous.

It's not a value judgement, it's a flawed technology. When you add HDMI and complex DSP into the mix you'll find that, as mentioned above, just about every company have issues of many kinds. The same thing also applies to high end processors at any price - as I said, it's a flawed technology - compare failure rates before HDMI and room correction per manufacturer if you can't wrap your head round it.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just replying to your kneejerk reaction to something you don't understand, hopefully now you do and not get your lederhosen in a twist*

*Please don't pillage my village for that comment, thanks.

I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just replying to your kneejerk reaction to something you don't understand, hopefully now you do and not get your lederhosen in a twist

I've been following these threads for months, I auditioned a (faulty...) MRX 710 myself, and I think that my posts are fairly measured and moderate. Perhaps you suffer from jerky perception.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom