1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anthem MRX 300 / 500 / 700 Series Owners Thread - Part 4

Discussion in 'Integrated Amplifiers & Receivers' started by DodgeTheViper, Feb 28, 2013.

1. roh008

roh008 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Had me worried there but the updates seem minor tweaks. ARC improvement is probably the main one I would have wanted.
  2. richmagnus

richmagnus Active Member

Ratings:
    +898
    The updated ARC may well come as a firmware update available to all with a bit of luck. Either way you will not be dissapointed I can assure you.
  3. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Active Member

Ratings:
    +274
    Price from £3186 :eek: according to that link for the 710

http://www.hembioconsult.se/ANTHEM/MRX-710.htm?sClickID=Prisjakt-9

No mention of dual sub EQ
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  4. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Does anyone use this combination?

I'm interested to know if you are using just one HDMI output to deliver sound and vision from the 103/105 player to your MRX.

If so, have you experienced any AV timing issues with blu-ray? I'm trying to find out if when playing disks with this combination of equipment, there are any delays when at the following stages:

initial logo
    pre-movie trailers
    menu screen start
    logo at the start of the movie

I currently have another brand player, and it works fine if using the dual HDMI to split sound and vision, but it does not seem to like the Anthem if getting sending AV from the main HDMI out, and HDMI output is set to dual.

Grateful for your views please.
    Jez
  5. Rock Danger

Rock Danger Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,201
    It'll most likely be fine but:

Watcha hope to gain putting an Oppo on to an MRX receiver? You know it's not gonna sound or look better, right?
  6. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler Member

Ratings:
    +178
    Hi Ross
    Well I'm thinking of getting movies and music from a hard drive/NAS to play lots of stuff I have on an old HTPC. Most of the movies are in MPEG2 TS (transport stream). Sounds like I might have to convert them to mkv format somehow. I saw the Oppo (105 version) at Nigel A's Steinway-Lyngdorf mega home cinema and I just liked the interface....sad I know. Rich enjoyed the day at the week end too.
  7. Rock Danger

Ratings:
    +1,201
    A wdtv live from the classifieds will play everything for about £50 or less used.

As nice ad the oppos are, it's just of no real use. You can convert anything to mkv. There's a program called handbrake that may do it and it's free.

HTPC is where it's at regardless of what front end you use. If the movies you have are old 480p DVD rips or worse, don't waste your time with em.

Maybe your old HTPC is upgrade able??
  8. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler Member

Ratings:
    +178
    It's a P4 based UVEM, so old it's only got a DVD-ROM. Basically it's stripping out the internals, but keeping the nice claritas case. Putting some old HD downloads onto the drive you mention sounds like a plan. Would that be recognised by the MRXs USB input?
  9. BobbyMac

BobbyMac Active Member

Ratings:
    +274
    Page 32 of the manual states that the USB is limited for music only (mp3/wav/wma9/vbr/lossless)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Rock Danger

Ratings:
    +1,201
    The mrx's usb input is audio only. I use an HTPC primarily for viewing everything just simply because you can make blu ray back ups with no loss in quality.

£300 considering you already have a case would get you an HTPC that would play anything with the same audio and video quality as any blu ray player. And you can customise the front end to look as fancy or plain as you like.

The oppo or any player for that matter when attached to the MRX is a transport only and a transport is a £30 item.

It's one of my peeves when people go spend an extra £500 on the MRX500 when you just want to grab them and say HTPC!!
  11. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler Member

Ratings:
    +178
    PM sent to Rock Danger as my interest in HTPC instead of an Oppo is now getting off the thread topic
  12. Rock Danger

Ratings:
    +1,201
    More like £3,100 if it's Danish Krone?

So a guess of £2,500 for the 510 perhaps? £2000 / 2,100 cash from the right man maybe.
  13. xsnv

xsnv Member

Ratings:
    +200
    Hi RockDanger,

I changed my system round and ran ARC again. I've read through the FAQ on AVS and your post quoted above and wanted to ask a few questions...

Based on the information from AVS the Frequency cutoff as set in ARC should always be that same as the cross over frequency (for speakers) set under 'Bass Management'. The frequency cut off is basically the lowest frequency at which EQ is applied so setting the cross over higher means EQ is being applied to a response thats already being rolled off at 12db per octave.

I ask this because having changed from FB1's to XTZ 99.26's ARC still sets the same frequency cutoff and crossover (60hz). I know the XTZ's start rolling off around 50Hz and i've got mine bunged so will probably roll off even earlier. Can you think of any reason why?

Another question is with regards the sub EQ. My understanding was a flat response is ideal from the sub cross-over to 0hz (or effectively as low as the sub can go). ARC starts rolling the sub response even before the target crossover (80hz). Is this normal?

Thanks
  14. Rock Danger

Ratings:
    +1,201
    Kinda need to see your graphs, but.

ARC is a crossover yes but not a typical one so even if you have speakers that go lower your room is deciding what needs chopped off and where.

Because of a roller coaster spike around 90hz from my centre, it tried to set the x-over at 100 or 120hz depending on what mood it's in, now the speaker will go way lower than that and should read in ARC at 60hz but until I can correct that room reflection I'm stuck - if I lower the x-over and recalculate the speaker won't works as efficiently.

Post up your graphs.
  15. xsnv

xsnv Member

Ratings:
    +200
    Hi Rock Danger,

Thanks for the quick response, I appreciate the help. Here's my graph:

[​IMG]
    small screenshot utility
  16. Rock Danger

Ratings:
    +1,201
    They're fine, that centre is kinda like mine too, but the measurements and corrections are coping.
  17. xsnv

xsnv Member

Ratings:
    +200
    Thanks. I'll do some tweaking when the family is out.
  18. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,742
    I see you've changed your sig to the new Jl Fathom f113

how are you finding it :smashin:
  19. diablo

diablo Member

Ratings:
    +68
  20. roh008

roh008 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Does anyone feel the need to run a separate 2ch system for improved music?

If you are what price point would one look at?
    Thinking NAD M51 DAC and Exposure 2ch amp. There would be no ARC room correction in use though.

Thanks

Roh
  21. richmagnus

richmagnus Active Member

Ratings:
    +898
    I use my system for both and it lacks nothing for music. All component were chosen for music too.
    It will see off quite a few 2 channel systems.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  22. Rock Danger

Ratings:
    +1,201
    I would need to put an extra 5-8k's stuff to make a significant sound improvement for music over what I've got now in 2 channel. That's not to say that the NAD / Exposure won't be better, especially if your room is acoustically ok - but it's been my experience that I need something like a high end Linn system to sit back and get truly wowed.
  23. richmagnus

richmagnus Active Member

Ratings:
    +898
    Read over on AVS that the new MRX range will have ARC upgraded to the same number of filters found in the D2v. The D2v will also get an upgrade.
  24. xsnv

xsnv Member

Ratings:
    +200
    Working on a review!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  25. roh008

roh008 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    OK, I'll keep this in mind.

I was thinking that I would be getting the Exposure integrated any way to drive the L/R channels and leave the Anthem for the other 3 channels. Getting the integrated rather than the power amp would allow for the addition of the NAD DAC if I so wished for music.
    Either way I will set ARC up properly and will not rush a decision.
  26. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,579
    That's really good to hear (I know this is the Anthem thread, but you know I'm after similar speakers to yours :) ). I'm following the new developments of Anthem products too. :smashin:
  27. Nick1881

Nick1881 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I power my front L&R with a Krell KAV400xi fed via a JK Ciunas DAC USB from my PC and it easily beats the Anthem, not that the Anthem is bad at all but it can be beaten.
  28. roh008

roh008 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    Interesting. So it is noticeable. Even without ARC being used then?
  29. Nick1881

Nick1881 Member

Ratings:
    +90
    I haven't tried the Anthem without ARC, the extra bass can be nice with some music, I don't use it otherwise. I do find the Anthem adds a digital edge to music, my DAC is more natural sounding, smoother, better positioning of instruments and better sound staging.
  30. roh008

roh008 Member

Ratings:
    +9
    But if you haven't tried it without ARC then the JK DAC isn't having an impact as it is being over ridden by the MRX or have you somehow set it up to use the JK DAC and ARC then fed to the Krell?