Android TV Box...anyone used one?

Can anyone tell me what the experiance is of watching itvplayer, iplayer and 4oD (which always crashes my laptop out) with this?

Thats the main reason for me to buy one.

Also my TV is a bit old and only does 480p HDMI - will it still work with the box?

Thanks.

Seems people are strangely silent when it comes to watching web TV with the box but they enthuse about everything else.

I have yet to see a youtube clip with anyone watching web tv on it (iplayer, itvplayer etc...) with audio sucessfully.

I know flash has many problems playing on Android (no sound, wrong framerate etc..) is this a problem with the box?

trampjuice, in the second posting you'll find 20mins of footage from youtube I've posted. This includes BBC iPlayer, ITV Player, 4OD. Hopefully you'll see the comments during the videos as well but the summary of it was it was a poor to non-existent experience.

I'll post again actually;

Unboxing
YouTube - Android TV Unboxing

Demo 1
YouTube - Android TV - Demo - Part 1

Demo 2
YouTube - Android TV - Demo - Part 2

The unit supports Flash 10.x so I tried BBC iPlayer and ITV player over a wired ethernet connection on Virgin Media 10mb with no other network traffic. The webpages load, the unit tries to play the streams but struggles in a window and seemed worse full screen. I tried this over several days and it never got any better. Youtube worked well via the Youtube app but even in HQ mode its not very HQ looking on a big tv, on a phone it looks great. Also its not full screen, about two thirds full screen.

Contex A9 Google Android 2.2/2.3 Internet TV BOX Wifi - Detailed info for Contex A9 Google Android 2.2/2.3 Internet TV BOX Wifi,tv box wifi,Contex A9 Google Android 2.2/2.3 Internet TV BOX Wifi,GR-ATV-002 on Alibaba.com

Thanks for the fantastic review - Yours is a Samsung 1Ghz A8, but
it seems there are two versions of this device - a 1Ghz ARM A8 device and a 800Mhz A9 device (above).

Coincidentally - I have a 800 Ghz A9 as a Android Tablet + Mali 400 GPU, and its very fast - but the Flash 10.3 Plugin from Adobe is also unstable and unusable with no audio and 2x framerate it should be.

I am sure all the problems with the device are down to the poor java flash implementation on Android - if you could get a firmware to dual boot the device into Unbuntu from SDCard the flash plugin would prob. work well.

Be interesting to know if anyone has the A9 version of the TV box and what their experiance is.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom