1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analogue signal from Sky Box

Discussion in 'Sky, Sky+, Sky HD & Sky 3D' started by DS Bassetts, Mar 22, 2007.

1. DS Bassetts

DS Bassetts Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi, we have just had sky installed and it is working fine and the picture is great :thumbsup:

I just have one niggle, currently the wiring is as follows;

Mini dish cable > sky box
    Sky RF out > Video RF In
    Video RF out > TV RF

The video is also connected to the TV via scart.

When we had NTL analog the setup was;

Cable > NTL box
    NTL box RF out > Video RF In
    Video RF In > Splitter
    Splitter > TV & Splitter in loft
    Splitter in loft > 3 bedrooms

With the NTL analog we got analog channels (1-5) on the TV and then channel 6 was for NTL. Now sky is in no analog channels work we just have sky on 6. For the TVs upstairs to get any TV the Sky box needs to be outputting 1-5 and 6 but it only seems to output 6.

Is this possible to do or can the Sky box only output the Sky signal.

We have no aerial plugged in as the socket for the aerial is used to send the downstairs TV signal from the Sky box into the loft and then into the bedrooms.

Thanks for any help, this has given me a very big headache.
  2. derbyjj

derbyjj Member

Ratings:
    +19
    youll need a terrestial aerial to plug into rfin on your sky box. mount on the roof and run the cable down the wall into your living room. you need at least 2 cables to pipe sky. your old ntl was acting as the terrestial cable I've just described
  3. DS Bassetts

DS Bassetts Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for the fast reply, that is just as I suspected. We have a aerial that is about 18-19 years old on the back of the house and last year we bought a freeview aerial that has not been put up yet. Obviously the new aerial will give us a better signal but will it be able to handle coming down into the living room, through the sky and video and then back up into the loft and being split?

Thanks again.
  4. DS Bassetts

DS Bassetts Member

Ratings:
    +3
    After reading around the forums about piping TV around the house I now have a better understanding of how this all works but I am still not sure on some things.

First of all I think we will need to replace the cabling in the loft that goes to the 3 bedrooms as it is just very cheap cable and has a few joins in it, the cable the currently goes off upstairs I think is OK but would be hard to replace anyway.

I am unsure about splitting the signal after it leaves the VCR as I think the quality of the signal will drop a far bit, how would I stop this from happening and what sort of equipment would I need for the whole job.

Thanks
  5. derbyjj

derbyjj Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Hi dont split just daisy chain freeview aerial from roof into sky/ sky rfout into vcr rf in /vcr rfout to socket in wall to splitter in loft / the as long as you tune everythin correctly you can watch 1-5 and sky on 6 anf the video on (say7) in all bedrooms
    I have posted a diagram on a sepearte thread but if you send me a private message I'll e-mail you one
  6. DS Bassetts

DS Bassetts Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Will that set-up give us analog 1-5 downstairs also as sometimes we record say channel 1 while watching a digital channel.

Thanks

EDIT: OK I think I am starting to get this after a lot of hard thinking :D here is what we need to do:

[​IMG]

What equipment would we need to make sure the quality is still good?
  7. DS Bassetts

DS Bassetts Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Nobody have any advice on how to split the signal downstairs and also upstairs without loosing the quality?
  8. derbyjj

derbyjj Member

Ratings:
    +19
    dont split the rf out from the video.
    use the scart from the video to the tv then use the video tuner to change channels for the tv downstairs you would get 1-5 and sky on 6 .
    But you would have to watch what you were recording
    Or run a third cable from the splitter in the loft back to the tv
  9. DS Bassetts

DS Bassetts Member

Ratings:
    +3
    A third cable is not an option and the main point of this is to be able to record analogue while watching sky or vice versa. for the splitter in the loft what would you recommend to insure the signal was still high quality.

Thanks
  10. SamRadford

SamRadford Member

Ratings:
    +366
    The Sky Digibox RF2 output should feed the distribution amplifier upstairs, otherwise your remote extender won't work.

Roof aerial should be connected -> VCR -> Sky (RF1) -> TV

Sky, VCR and TV should be connected together via Scart cables for recording and playback purposes.

Set the Sky and VCR RF output channels (21 - 69) so they don't conflict with each other or with any incoming aerial signals. Use this calculator:

http://www.indigoelectronics.co.uk/applications/taboo/scripts/selectregion.asp
    More info: http://www.the-cool-book-shop.co.uk/piping_tv.htm
  11. DS Bassetts

DS Bassetts Member

Ratings:
    +3
    We shall not be using a remote extender, we shall just be watching what is being watched downstairs at the time. Thanks for the advice there :thumbsup:

You said the aerial should go VCR > Sky > TV but then how do we send the signal upstairs.

Thanks
  12. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,091
    From the RF2 output (all but one model of Sky digiboxes [12v/mains model intended for caravanners] have two RF outputs)
  13. DS Bassetts

DS Bassetts Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I must of missed that bit. So I should set this up as follows:

Aerial > VCR RF IN
    VCR RF OUT > SKY RF IN
    SKY RF OUT 1 > TV
    SKY RF OUT 2 > SLX Aerial Amplifier in loft
    SLX > 3 bedrooms.

then Sky, VCR and TV interconnected via Scart.

How would I power the Amp in the loft as we have no electricity up there minus sticking the extension lead up for a light when we go up there.

Thanks for all your help it has saved me a huge headache :smashin:
  14. derbyjj

derbyjj Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Hi DS.
    Lets get back to basics.
    lets do downstairs first (assuming you connected the freeview aerial).
    connect this to the rfin of sky
    connect the rfout of sky to the rfin of the video.
    connect the rfout of the video to the tv.
    you now need to tune the video to sky
    you may need to change the channel sky transmits on via its rf channels as it may be set to the same one as your video.
    the tune your tele to sky.
    connect rfout2 of sky to the cable that goes to your loft
    and tune your upstairs tvs to sky
    you should now have 1-5 and sky on all tv's
    but video onlty downstairs
    PS connect the TV and video and sky by scarts as wekl and you will get much better quality pictures downstairs
  15. SamRadford

SamRadford Member

Ratings:
    +366
    It's powered by the Sky Digibox RF2 socket (whether you want to use a remote extender or not). Obviously you have to use a SkyLink compatible amplifier AND turn on the power for RF2 in the Installer Menu.
  16. DS Bassetts

DS Bassetts Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry for my ignorance but what is a sky link and would this amplifier be compatible? Thanks
  17. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    A Sky link also known as a "Magic Eye" connects to the other end of a cable plugged in to the RF2 output of a Sky digibox and allows you to remotely control the digibox from another room.
    The amp you link to is not suitable as it is not digital compatible according to the faqs on the page.
  18. DS Bassetts

DS Bassetts Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that advice. Getting a little conflicting information here and getting a bit confused.

We do not want to be able to change the Sky channel from upstairs but just watch what is on the sky.

So if I set it up as follows:

Aerial > Sky RF IN
    Sky RF Out 1 > VCR RF IN
    VCR RF Out > TV
    Sky RF Out 2 > Amplifier
    Amplifier > 3 TVs

What would the best amplifier be to use for that setup, no magic eyes just the split the signal and preferably not having to add any power up into the loft.

Thanks
  19. DS Bassetts

DS Bassetts Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Can anyone help me with this please?
  20. JayCee

JayCee Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,539
    The model shown here is powered from the RF2 outlet and will do what you need...you can just leave off the TV Link (magic eye).
  21. DS Bassetts

DS Bassetts Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Thanks for that, did not think about eBay strangely. Any advice on the best place to buy decent external and internal coax cables, threaded connectors and adaptors.

Thank you again.
  22. FRANTIC FRANC

FRANTIC FRANC Member

Ratings:
    +110
    You need to buy a Global T140 4 Way amp splitter as this model does not need any external power from a mains 240v socket, it is powered by switching on the RF2 power within the installer's menu on the digibox.

Also it means that you can add TV-link controllers at any time in the future.

To ensure the best results don't be tempted to add wall plates as joins in the cable can give you grief in the future.

Cheers, Franc
  23. Bettingmad

Bettingmad New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've moved house and can't get an analogue signal.

Where I lived before I had a Sky dish with a single cable that fed my Sky digibox and via the RF out I fed a booster box to a separate TV on which I could view all the analogue channels as well as Sky on channel 6. I didn't have an aerial but I lived within sight of the TV transmitter mast

Where I live now I cannot get an analogue signal at all from the RF out on my Sky digibox to the separate TV.

Should this be possible or was I just lucky before as I lived so near to the transmitter and the signal wasn't really coming from the RF out?

Does it matter what sort of LNB is on my Sky dish and my sky install here is not allowing an analogue signal?

As I have moved area is there some setting I need to change buried in my Sky digibox?

Could it be that where my Sky dish is pointing here, isn't the right direction for a good enough local analogue signal?
  24. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil Active Member

Ratings:
    +884
    I presume by what you call "analogue" you mean terrestrial analogue TV?

To receive the terrestrial analogue, (and digital), stations you need an aerial input into RF in on the Sky box.
  25. Bettingmad

Bettingmad New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I do mean terrestrial.

So I cannot use the Sky dish at all for an analogue signal? I need a separate aerial?
  26. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    All the terrestrial analogue channels are on Sky anyway. So long as you have a viewing card.
  27. Bettingmad

Bettingmad New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I want terrestrial on analogue because it is faster than terrestrial on Sky and I bet on horse racing.
  28. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +884
    Bet on an aerial then