Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Amp for Totem Dreamcatchers

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by kendun, Feb 17, 2009.

1. kendun

kendun Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Evening everyone,

I've bought a pair of Totem dreamcatchers and am on the look out for a good stereo amp to drive these speakers.

The specs are
    Impedance: 4 ohms
    Sensitivity: 87.5 dB/W/m. Maximum SPL 101 dB before dynamic compression
    Minimum power: 20 watts at 4 ohms
    Maximum power: 100 watts

My CA 340A doesnt quite cut the mustard,what kind of amps should I be looking at? I prefer a natural/neutral sound from the amp if possible.Would like to set a limit of £350 to £400 max,open to going second hand and would appreciate any recommendations/advice.
    I have looked at a German site(CJROSS had mentioned a site for HK6550 in a previous post) but couldnt see apropriate amps for sale/didnt know how to communicate with the sellers as the site's in German as well.
    Do I need to search for amps which have mentioned 4ohms or am I ok with amps in the region of 70/80watts at 8 ohms?
    Regards
  2. cwilson

cwilson Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Either a jap bruiser, ES sony, Harmon Kardon, Luxman, a second hand site in germany that often has them, leipzig hi fi or something similar. Something that chucks a good 70-80 watts a channel out at 8 ohms, and has a stiff power supply. I don't thank you'll find them in budget, but I understand that the Totems seem to get along with rega's amps quite well, may be the Mira, certainly the cursa/maia.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. kendun

kendun Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Cheers cwilson,
    What kind of a budget do you think is more realistic to get a decent amp for?I've been on the German site and have seen a second hand Sony ES might have a look at it again
  4. deaf cat

deaf cat Member

Ratings:
    +59
    :smashin: On my wish list a couple of Totems:thumbsup:

Was taken along and listened to Arro's and Model 1 Signature's way way way out my price bracket, but with Rega Amps - Wonderful :smashin:

Personal preference of course.

Does your CA have pre outs-maybe demo a maia?, and cursa/maia/exons....

:smashin:
    Have lots of fun!

PS. check out the 4 Ohm rating of your chosen amp, as far as I'm aware 4Ohm speakers are alot harder to drive than 8Ohm, so an amp that can drive 100Wrms 8Ohm may only manage 60Wrms 4Ohm, then again if designed well the 100W 8Ohm may drive a 4Ohm load to closer to 150W....not 100%sure on the theory but check the 4Ohm rating! Its going to need some power as the Totems ain't all that sensitive. - but do sound lovely :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  5. cwilson

cwilson Member

Ratings:
    +52
    Its more a case of being prepared to wait, and search. Leipzig stock changes fairly quickly, greenholme electronics get a fair range of used stuff. use the secondhand links on here, and the classifieds, plus the other forum classsifieds and keep looking.

You may drop on say a Mira 2000 in budget, that you can listen to before you part with youe cash, and it least if you buy used carefully, and get it wrong you don't loose too much money selling on and trying again.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Don Dadda

Don Dadda Active Member

Ratings:
    +477
    Have a look at Marantz PM7001 KI. I sure they will drives those Totems good and proper. Rich and Natural sound.
    You may be able to get one for under £400- new as they are being replaced by the PM8003 which is £600+. If you can get one s\h even better.:thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. kendun

kendun Member

Ratings:
    +22
  8. kendun

kendun Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I am prepared to wait now,dont want to get an amp and then feel annoyed that I'm not happy with the sound.Didn't realise that Leipzig stock changes quickly,will try to ask CJROSS re communication with them since the site's in German.
  9. kendun

kendun Member

Ratings:
    +22
    HI Don,any sites,shops where it's around £400,the cheapest I could find was £500+ on a quick search on google
  10. Don Dadda

Don Dadda Active Member

Ratings:
    +477
    Hey Kendun

I did say 'may'.;) and you are right sites are selling at £500+

However this site hificonfidential has them at £450 (was £440 2 weeks ago). I got mine from there for £400 cash, after some of haggling. Admittedly they let me have it for that price as they let me down by selling out of the amp i had originally setup to demo (PM7003) and waited patiently to do so.:mad:

Glad i did demod the 'Ki' instead though. Absolutely superb amp (IMO) :thumbsup: Not sorry i didn't demo the PM7003 at all.

The PM7003 can be got for £400 from here. If you can, demo one 1st, then let your ears decide

If you can manage to get a s\h Ki you are onto a winner both in money and quality :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1