1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMMYY phone call - scam??

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by Sulley75, Apr 23, 2010.

1. TheForge

TheForge Member

Ratings:
    +137
    :DIts ok, he didnt actually bin his PC, though I did get him to pick up the monitor before he realised what was comming next!

I am just thankful most people moved on from windows xp, that OS was a super conducting virus magnet, I have lost count of the number of reinstalls I have done for others because they clicked on ever popup that appeared on their screen!

A same rule applies to any phone call about anything.

If somone phones YOU, then never do anything they ask or give them any information, no names, addresses, personal information or underwear colour.

Just ask them for their contact number and tell them you will phone them back, then get their number off a bill or invoice etc or check online to see if that number is really theirs.

This especially applies to Banks and surveys!

Oh and NEVER give somone your Password EVER!

I would love to give people courses on how to surf the internet safely but I lost my high voltage cattle prod
  2. dragonslayer

dragonslayer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm not very technical. Can you explain this?

And thanks to everyone on the thread!

Incidentally, when I pressed these guys they said they were from 2gro.net, who seem to be legit ... so I think the scammers are probably just using the 2gro name.:thumbsup:
  3. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,451
    With your computer do you have any OS discs (of if you're using a computer and to put it simply any Windows discs?) If that's the case, first save all your files and information into an external hard drive or burn them across blank cds and dvds (if you don't have the former to hand) and put in the disc and follow the instructions to re-install windows

If you don't have discs, your computer probably has a hidden recovery partition which you can also use to reformat and re-install your OS
  4. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +63
    Its because its NOT a wallet and its technology, which people do not understand - especially people over 55ish some of whom have never been in contact with PCs - I have two neighbours who never in their career needed to get onto to a PC
    hence the "first Click" campaign BBC - Connect - Campaigns : First Click - which has identified 10.5M people in UK who do not currently use the internet get online.

one of my inlaws has had the call twice now and on one occasion said they were from BT
  5. dragonslayer

dragonslayer Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks to dc8900 for the info!
  6. pwood

pwood Member

Ratings:
    +147
    Microsoft seem to be the name they are using the most. A recent call I was told about the chap had an american accent!
  7. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,451
    I guess an as attempt to make it sound more authentic as most people are aware that it's an American company even though Microsoft's call centre (for Europeans) is in the Republic of Ireland (when I call at least) where Microsoft Europe is based (like a lot of other international tech companies with European operations)
  8. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,451
  9. bratmama3t

bratmama3t Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I can honestly say that I was suckered into this today. I was having problems with my laptop this morning and the next thing I know my boyfriend is handing me the phone and saying it was microsoft and they could help me fix it. I didn't hear the phone ring but thought nothing of it as the phone is in our room where he was. I fell for it. I know someone mentioned that when this happened to them and they typed in ammyy that the link came up as a scam automatically. Well the guy that was on the phone with me today found a way around that, he had my type in the complete link Ammyy Admin - Free remote desktop sharing and file tranfer system into google so that way no other links came up. I feel really stupid from having fell for something like this. As soon as he tried to sell me something though i handed the phone back to my boyfriend and shut my computer down right away. I know that there could be some damage already done but I have done every spyware, adware, malware and even the microsoft essentials to rid of whatever is there.

Some of us are not tech savvy and it's really insulting for those who didn't fall for it or knew better, to slam us less fortunate people. I don't have any advice as to fixing this issue but I just wanted to let people know that they will be sneaky and find a way around the possibility of you finding the scam links that they obviously don't want you to see.
  10. Curly99

Curly99 Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,018
    @ bratmama3t : Welcome to the forums, sorry for your misfortune but thanks for posting your experience, let's hope it stops someone else falling for this scam.

Why not post about your laptop problems in the laptop forum, someone may be able to help you.

Curly
  11. dc8900

dc8900 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,451
    Random question, why do all the mods have numbers as their avatar pic? I think you're the second or third I've seen.

I think if you're referring to the posts before, as was mentioned, one member took offence due to own misunderstanding of what was written no one is trying to insult anyone :thumbsup:

Anyway, my standard advice for anyone who falls for this is now (and I admit is drastic) is to back up your files and do a complete wipe and re-install the OS

btw, what are you're computer problems? you can post a new thread in the laptop section but depending on the problem, we might be able to quickly help here
  12. dezrad

dezrad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Help a friend
    my friend fell for this but the computer wouldn't do what they were telling her to do it said could not connect to server will she be ok?????????????????????????????????
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  13. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +698
    If it never managed to connect to the server and she didn't give any personal details over the phone she should be fine.
    I would run a virus check on the PC (full scan) using a virus checker that has the latest updates - just to be sure.
    Similarly download and install Adaware (from Lavasoft) or similar and run that with latest definitions.
    Avoid any of the (many) online virus and malware checkers - some of which are scams.
  14. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +63
  15. dezrad

dezrad Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks a lot guys will pass it on :clap:
  16. tbow69

tbow69 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just had a call about this. Wanted me to log into www.ammyy.com. When I ask he said he was from Microsoft :laugh: and he would help me to remove somer virus. When I asked where the files were on my computer and asked about file extensions. He hung up. I also heard many Indian people chatting away in the background.:clap:
    :lease:
    Pass this onto all friend and lets stop the SCAMMERS
  17. daveW2oz

daveW2oz Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Heavy Indian accent, claiming to be microsoft certifed professional working for SecureAllPC out of Melbourne Australia. That in itself took about half an hour to extract using Alpha/Beta/Charlie spelling (after she accepted that I would be asking the questions).
    She answered that my telephone number had been given to them by "WorldRoutingSystem" because they had identified that my computer was having viruses and they were offering to quickly fix the problem for free. She was unable to say what the virus was but could show me it was infected if I typed Winkey+R and eventvwr. She said all the red flags were serious infections and asked me what they said. They found it hard to believe there had been nothing but hundreds of plain blue information messages in the last two days (no reds and not even a single yellow).
    Undaunted, she then had me Run Prefetch and claimed all the *.PS files in its window were viruses loaded onto my PC whenever I boot it. I told her I found that hard to believe but she said I needed to type www.ammyy.com in the RunBox for an explanation. I told her I would search for any comments on that site in Google instead. At that point I was passed on to her supervisor.

I told him I was shocked to see so many sites warning that ammyy.com was a scam. I told him I was concerned and asked if he could nominate an independent reputable site that could confirm they offered a valuable service. I told him I had no intention of running an unknown executable or even visiting a suspicious web site that might harbour malware. He said everyone in his company was certified by microsoft and claimed all those sites on google were scammers. Oddly, he then asked me "what was a scammer"? I said one example might be someone fraudulently claiming to clean up a non-existant virus for free but who only really intended selling something by scaring their victim. "What do you mean sell"? "What are the names of those saying these things"?, etc. He eventually nominated www.showmypc.com.

I suggested that sounded suspiciously like the name of his company so declined to enter that site as well. I repeatedly asked for another reputable site that could vouch for them. But all he could do was repeat the letters he wanted me to type. I guess he was trying to stick to a well run script.

Normally I hang up on such cold call scams but was interested to see what they had in their arsenal. Only this morning I had told a U3A class we had little to fear if we used common sense. Maybe greater awareness of such current scams is just as important. I would therefore like to thank all the prior and future posters on such issues.
  18. Ipcress

Ipcress Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I got a call like this today. My laptop had given me an error message this morning saying windows wasn't working properly so when someone from 'microsoft' called saying they could help I didn't think it was a scam. They asked me to go into 'My computer' and found the error messages mentioned in previous posts, then asked me to type that 'ammyy' address in to the address bar of IE, presumably because when you type it in the google search box it autocompletes with the word scam! The call disconnected at that point and I took the opportunity to google ammyy... fortunately I hadn't downlloaded the software or given them any access to my computer. The guy called back about ten minutes later and no sooner had I said "Can I stop you right there? I've looked this up online and I know it's a scam..." he hung up! I was suspicious as soon as I saw the website which talked about remote access and was just about to question that when the call disconnected.

I'm doing a Norton scan now and have run CCleaner and so far just a few tracking cookies. Is it reasonable to assume my system is safe as I didn't actually download anything or give them any access?
  19. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,741
    Yes, unless you install their software / give them any access or card details etc you should be fine :thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Ipcress

Ipcress Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers!

I was a bit suspicous of the whole thing and as soon as they asked me to go to a website that was clearly nothing to do with Microsoft... luckily the call disconnected and I had a chance to check it out! I feel like such a dumbass for going along with the call for as long as I did but luckily no harm done!
  21. Iccz

Iccz Active Member

Ratings:
    +6,741
    Many people have been tricked by this, there are a number of people out there who do have problems then get hit bit one of these calls, so they just put 2 and 2 together. Don't feel bad, just feel lucky that you managed to realise before any problems were caused.

Now you will question any calls about computer problems :thumbsup:
  22. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +63
    recently happened to my mother-in-law and they are getting quite aggressive / assertive , they threatened to inform BT she was not cooperating and the phone line would be disconnected and when she still refused they said they would be taking £140 out of her account to compensate for the issue she is causing

She never turned the PC on at all - so quite safe

as i said, now quite aggressive
  23. Ipcress

Ipcress Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I certainly will! :smashin:

Thanks anyway for the reassurance. It just shows how easy it can be to get scammed if you take your eye off the ball... I was so angry when the guy had the cheek to call back and try his spiel again, never known anyone to hang up so quickly though! :D
  24. mattrollnn

mattrollnn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi all. i (very stupidly) believed these idiots and i clicked RUN on the AMMYY program after which they installed Advanced Windows Care V2 and then did a scan to show me the status of my computer. The indian guy on the phone then got into selling mode and tried to convince me that the $1180 package for the next 7 years was the best thing that i could ever do blah blah blah. i told him that if they are REALLY a microsoft certified company then when i call microsoft and check on this then there will be no problems. if i was satisifed i'd call back and sign up. he didn't like this and kept trying to convince me that i was actually buying anything. i was really only "purchasing" a service from them!

now what should i be doing now to ensure that "IF" they got any info from my computer that i am safe from them for the future? i've already changed my password for my online netbanking, paypal, hotmail account. is there anything else i should be concerned about? i feel SO SO stupid for believing them... never again.
  25. spyder viewer

spyder viewer Moderator

Ratings:
    +842
    Where did you get the copy of AMMYY that you ran on your machine? When you let "them" install software, you have no idea what they have installed.

Suggest you run a full virus scan and also download Malwarebytes and run that.
  26. mattrollnn

mattrollnn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, thank you for the reply. i downloaded it from the website and then told them (hesitantly) the code that it gives you which allows them to access my computer. i have since changed my passwords, run a full avast virus check (i pay for my version), downloaded windows defender and checked everything. all seems ok although in add/remove programs there were a few programs that i hadn't seen before. things like - bonjour, and other things i cant remember
  27. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +63
  28. mattrollnn

mattrollnn Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Can i also say that somethings have happened since that are a little strange - after i got off the phone of the very well rehearsed salesman trying to sell me apparently nothing - i then had a look through this "Advanced Windows Care V2" program. so after the scan it shows you all the errors and when you click show details you then get the option down the bottom left to "correct problems" or something like this. so i did that. ever since i have noticed a few things - in Word (97 version i think) i used to have something like "show all codes or symbols" which shows a symbol invisible to printing but makes life easy for formatting, these are now gone. on google chrome and outlook and on websites like facebook, i swear the font has changed. it just looks different. any thoughts on why or how this has happened automatically??:confused:
  29. etaf

etaf Member

Ratings:
    +63
    do a recovery to before you added their program

start>programs>accessories>system tools>system recovery
    now choose a date before the issue
  30. thegenie

thegenie Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My Dad's been recieving the same call by an Indian guy lately, because my father is very deaf he says he cant hear you to the guy so he hangs up.
    But keeps ringing back & trying. I'm not very computer tech myself & ive heard a little about this scam so i answerd & followed along for a bit until i could smell a rat & hung up. I'm on dial up so the guy had to call me back on my mobile which enabled me to get the phone number he was calling from which i may pass on to the police & put on any scam warning sites i come across! These idiots need to be stopped! :thumbsdow :nono: