1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ambient light screens - DNP Supernova, Black Diamond, etc

Discussion in 'Projector Screens' started by edb49, May 6, 2011.

1. Ideal AV

Ideal AV Active Member Assured Advertiser

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Hi Lee

tbh I just adjust it whilst in that room as its normally in the other batcave room.

don`t quote me, but from memory it was on "living room" with everything else left as is.

i`ve never tried it on cinema or natural simply because it doesn`t stay their longer then a demo as the epson is the pj I use for everyday viewing.

hearing the fan for me isn`t a problem simply because when theirs anything but a silent scene in a movie I simply can`t hear it tbh. ;)

When the new room is finished i`ll probably stick with an Epson in their full time as I just like them and the filmic image that they seem to be able to produce.

I don`t want 3d in there, that said they are about to launch a new 3d range I believe, and i`ve already got a Samsung 64" D8000 for 3D duties if needed behind the DNP screen :)
  2. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    the blacks with the 08-85 are very good, remember though to get the pop you still need the lumens output of the pj.

As far as I know the DNP 08-85 material is the only one of its type which is ISF certified.

Unless someone pops up and tells us differently :D
  3. sanderdvd

sanderdvd Member

Ratings:
    +11
    do you know where I can find prices? looking for 104'' fixed frame
  4. leeamorg

leeamorg Member

Ratings:
    +12
    If your after fixed frame there's 2 Supernova models the Core or One!

A 100" 16:9 One is £3115
    A 100" 16:9 Core is £1940

They don't do a 104" model the next size up is 110". They also do a 2.35.1 screen if you'd prefer that format.

Allan will be able to give you more info, I found these prices online I'm not too familiar with the fixed frame models.
  5. i_raz

i_raz Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Allan

Any idea how the blacks compare between the 23.23 and the 0.8 screen? I am just concerned that the blacks will not be as good as the 0.8 material. Bearing in mind the cost, I don't want to be disappointed once I receive it!
  6. earlgrey777

earlgrey777 Member

Ratings:
    +1
  7. clausdk

clausdk Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Calibrated the HD82 is around 5-600 lumens i think.

Cinema: 645 lumens @ 7247K
    Bright: 553 lumens @ 8483K
    Photo: 439 lumens @ 9318K
    Reference: 691 lumens @ 7335K
    User (uncalibrated): 568 lumens @ 7201K

Post calibration, User mode (set up for best viewing), measured 525 lumens @6481K.

Switching to low lamp, brightness drops approximately 27%. That reduced 525 lumens to 415 lumens.

Wide-angle: 655 lumens
    Mid-point: 568 lumens
    Telephoto: 409 lumens

From projectorreviews.
  8. sanderdvd

sanderdvd Member

Ratings:
    +11
    what is the difference between the core and the one?
  9. DJS

DJS Member

Ratings:
    +0
    One is a hard back screen with a choice of frames - black velvet, silver or black aluminium. Delivered ready assembled. Sizes can be customised.

Core - delivered flat packed, easy to assemble, black velvet frame.
  10. leeamorg

leeamorg Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Allan,

I received some sample material today from the manufacturer of my current screen called cine-grey 0.8 gain just to compare with the supernova 0.8-85 material and tbh under the room conditions I will mainly use the PJ there wasn't a big enough difference to warrant the price difference in my opinion.

Normal PJ viewing conditions are white walls/ceiling, closed curtains with blackout blinds mainly viewing on the evening.

Granted the supernova material had the edge in every way but at triple the price I would expect it to :)

And if I opened the curtains the supernova material leapt ahead but the only time I'd use the PJ in the day would be to watch sport, but sport tends to be bright anyway so the image normally doesn't look too washed out.

I just want to say thanks for your help and input over the past couple of weeks but I think I've pretty much decided I'm going to buy the exact same screen I've got now except in the cine-grey material :)

Another main factor is that I can get the screen I have now at trade price. I was going to get this material in the first place but because they are made to order and shipped from Italy it takes 3 weeks from order and at the time I couldn't wait, I had my new PJ sitting next me to and I just couldn't hold out. That's hindsight for you and I'm going to loose on a good few 100 squids but I think it'll be worth it in the long run.

I just need to stop googling them pesky supernovas now, I'll also go covert for a while on the forums and just enjoy my setup for a while.

Cheers,
    Lee.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  11. Sam Ash

Sam Ash Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Sorry Guys, I know this may be a bit off-topic but some suggestions and advice will be much appreciated. I am setting up a conference room and the dnp screens seem like the ideal screen for it. Some important questions:-

1. Which particular dnp screen would be ideal ? - the conference room does not have any windows but will have ceiling lights that would be better left switched on rather than off. Alternatively, I suppose I could have dimmers to dim the lights a touch just to create a slightly better ambience for presentation. The screen may need to be a drop down version initiated via a simple switch so that it can drop down in front of a 50" or 60" flat panel wall mounted LCD display. A 12 volt trigger ability might make sense so that the screen is activated when the projector is switched on.

2. Hence, I would not necessarily need a light-canon for a projector. However, I realise that a short-throw version would be better to minimise presenter shadows. I am currently looking at the InFocus range of presentation projectors. Any idea which presentation projectors are leading in the business/corporate environment in terms of image quality and realistic brightness values ? - With Infocus changing management, I'm not quite sure anymore. There are other reasonably priced brands such as Optoma. Would love to hear from someone who has already done significant research for a similar set-up.

IMPORTANT: The presentation projector that I finally pick must also be capable of decent movie or footage playback from DVD or Bluray disc (via Bluray Player) - for business documentaries, training videos and movie clips for inspiration.

Some things I like about the InFocus projector: Interactive orientation of the InFocus IN3900 so doubles up as a digital whiteboard. Optional wireless functionality (I hate cables running across the table). HDMI port, Stereo-out jacks.

Any input from professionals and end-users will be appreciated.

Cheers,

Sam
  12. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    the only screen that has a 12v trigger Sam is the DNP Supernova Flex, the Flex Classic does not have this, it comes with an RF remote, a picture of which is earlier in the thread.

no you wouldn`t. but something like the epson 3600 with 1800 lumens will give you a much brighter image than something giving 1300lm, you need the extra lumens as the electric drop down screens are only available with the 08-85 gain material not the 23-23.

Most educational models will/should have plenty of light output

i`ll let the others answer the last ones as i`m not experienced enough with educational projectors.

Anything else you need to know about the screens i`ll be pleased to answer for you.

Allan :smashin:
  13. Ideal AV

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Hi Lee

thanks for letting me know and I do hope it alls goes well for you, the DNP really does come into its own in a light bright sunny room, where you say it leapt ahead, and so it should as thats the exact enviroment it designed for.

Anyway, keep us posted and lets know your thought on your new screen when you get it.

Allan :smashin:
  14. i_raz

i_raz Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Received my dnp screen today can't wait to set it up. It had better live up to the hype!!!!
  15. i_raz

i_raz Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Finally managed to setup the dnp supernova core. I ordered the 23:23 material.

Must admit its looks awesome on its own! The black velvet frame looks really smart. Probably worth the price on looks alone!!!

Night viewing is very impressive bearing in mind i have peach coloured walls and i don't draw the curtains and there is some light reflecting on the screen through the window. Bright colours are vivid and blacks seems very dark. Highly impressed with avatar. Unfortunately i am unable to take any decent pics at night as i only have a Samsung phone. I May try to get my friend to take some pics on his slr in due course.

There doesn't appear to be any issue with a wide viewing angle either. I watched the screen from approx 60 degree angle and it seemed fine.

Also at night with the lights on the screen is reasonable but you do lose some contrast. The screen is definitely better with the lights off.

During the day, the colours seems more washed out although still watchable but you do have to increase your brightness alot. If someone is considering to use during the day i would recommend a high lumens projector.

Overall for those who can afford it i would highly recommend. Very good alternative for those who cannot totally have a blackroom

I have taken some pics during the day to give u an idea how it looks.

Hope the above is helpful for anyone considering these screens

Attached Files:

16. caliv7

caliv7 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, there is a new High Contrast Light Rejection Screen from Skyline, that combines the best spec. from "SI Black Diamond" and "Dalite HP"... It's the new High Contrast Screen from "Skyline Screens"! And here you can read a shootout DNP Supernova - SI Black Diamond - Skyline :

RECENSIONI - SKYLINESCREENS schermi ad alto contrasto controllo luce ambientale is an Italian site.

It's a new 1.8 (2.5 gain is avalaible too...) gain screen, with light rejection properties, that help you to have a brightest white and at the same time a darkest black, with even ambient light... or in a living room with white reflective ceiling and wall. Black diamond is dark, Da lite HP is light, Skyline have dark black and light white! I have bought one 91" and i'm going to describe it...
    Years ago, I read a review of the DNP supernova, but records do not fully convinced me and I decided to wait times and better materials. Then came the SI Black Diamond and things seemed better, but the users complained about the owners of the cloth (at least some) some defects unacceptable to me, as speckles, and as sparkles, and more or less visible in some types of installation, definitely unbearable ... Then came the most interesting Skyline, from the technical specifications (gain of 1.8 against 0.8 BD) especially in view of a future 3D projector, and which was said to have no side effects like hot spots or sparkles or speckles etc.. And now that i own it, i can say it's true! Here you can read my review:

New high-contrast Skyline screens - AVS Forum
  17. i_raz

i_raz Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Some additional screen shots with Samsung phone camera at night on the dnp supernova core

Attached Files:

18. DJS

DJS Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i_raz what lumen projector are you using ?
  19. i_raz

i_raz Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Djs

Im using an optoma hd82. Its 1300 lumens.
  20. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,821
    Hi Imran

Just seen the pics mate and the image does not seem to have a lot of pop in the daylight shots,it may look better in the flesh though as cameras can make an image look very good or poor depending how that shots are taken and what with.

Anyway back from my break now so I will have to arrange a visit for a proper look.:thumbsup:
  21. i_raz

i_raz Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Keith

Hope you had a good break.

During the day, I am not impressed with the picture but that may be due the the projector that I have or could be settings. As the projector is new I dont want to turn the brightness too high just yet! I am not sure whether projectors require a similar run in periods to plasma's.

Pm me your number and we can arrange for you to demo yourself.

Imran
  22. DJS

DJS Member

Ratings:
    +0
    What brightness are you currently running the projector at?
  23. i_raz

i_raz Member

Ratings:
    +110
    During the evening the brightness is about 48 and the contrast about 50.

During the day i have to increase the brightness to about 65. But i don't usually use it during the day anyway.
  24. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,821
    Imran

You don't have to worry about burning a pj in as such,in fact they go downhill from the moment you switch them on:laugh: seriously though I am referring to the lamp which as it ages gets dimmer.

A lamp in the first 100-200hrs will loose approx 25-35% of it's initial brightness and then over the next 2000-3000hrs will gradually dim to the point where it finally goes very dim in just a few hours and then gives out or goes pop.

Normally you don't do a full calibration on a pj till after that first 100hrs or so as the lamp is changing more rapidly and any calibration (especially if you have paid for it) will need re tweaking.

So don't worry about tweaking now or running at full brightness if you want as the lamp will never be as bright as it is now.

Regards

Keith
  25. andyuk

andyuk Member

Ratings:
    +18
    Nice pics I am also considering this screen may I ask what projector are you using & what size screen is your DNP?

Did you purchase from Allan?
  26. i_raz

i_raz Member

Ratings:
    +110
    Thanks Keith. I may try the brightness little higher!

Andy - thanks. Im using the optoma hd82. Screen size 120" purchased from Allan. Top man friendly and always helpful.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  27. kbfern

kbfern Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,821
    I was at Imrans last night and what can I say the HD82 was ab fab what a bargain projector at only £1300.:thumbsup:

The image was very sharp and colours were excellent especially when on reference setting, how much this was due to the screen I don't know as we had no way of comparing to a standard screen or even a plain white wall for a reference point.

I did take a TW3200 along for an alternative to see if the claimed higher output would show any real world difference,It didn't:D The HD82 was by far superior in every area, it was sharper the blacks were better and the colours really shone out and the image had a real pop to it.Mind you they are worlds apart on original prices so that is to be expected.

The pics Imran posted above do not do the projector or screen any justice as in real life they are much much better.I arrived a little later than expected due to very heavy motorway traffic so was unable to see how the supernova would perform in normal daylight conditions so I can only say that when viewing it was dark in a room that has no light control with white ceilings and with light carpet and walls.

I thought the screen looked very well made and worth the £2k+ price Imran paid for it,It is a big bugger though at 120" 16:9:devil:.There did not appear to any drop off in brightness when viewing well off axis.

I personally view in near blackout conditions so one of these screens is of no interest to me but I can see their value in average rooms in daylight hours.

As an aside Imran's audio is top notch too with cinepro/Onk amplification and MA 60's 20's and monster centre channel speakers and 2 Sunfire subs that really did make the sofa shake (who needs buttkickers eh:D)

So a thoroughly enjoyable evening was had and thanks once again to Imran's hospitality:thumbsup::thumbsup:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. fristil

fristil Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Here are some comparing pictures from my new high-contrast screen, Euroscreen ReAct II, vs a budget white screen, Kingpin.

Left ReAct, Right Kingpin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Kingpin light reflection to white roof
    [​IMG]

ReAct light reflection to white roof
    [​IMG]

Projector is Mitsubishi HC4000 and screen size is 81"

//Mike
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2011
  29. davie

davie Member

Ratings:
    +4
    I've just ordered a dnp supernova fixed screen through my installer to replace a tab tensioned Betamax screen. I just couldn't live with the darkness of the room any more.
    The only decision is which screen material the .85 or 23.

Can't wait
  30. leo79

leo79 Member

Ratings:
    +131
    @fristil, where did you purchase the screen from?

Cheers
    Leo