Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternatives to liposuction

Discussion in 'General Chat Forum' started by Jenn, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    A bit of an odd one for a forum mostly populated by men but maybe you guys know someone who knows someone etc.

So, has anyone heard of the laser non invasive lipo suction?
    All I can see online is companies advertising their services so I'm a bit wary.

Or is there other proven ways of getting rid of stubborn areas that are non invasive? Exercise included.
  2. GBDG1

GBDG1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,288
    Unfortunately, targeted fat loss isn't possible. So the only way to lose fat from X area is to lose body fat overall. Women carry a much higher body fat percentage than men, but the principles are the same.

If you're seriously consider surgery, then I guess you are quite set on losing this fat. In which case you can apply a combination of Diet, Cardio exercise, resistance training and weight training will deliver what you are looking for. Right down to the point of having almost no subcutaneous body fat.

If you can give us an idea of were you're at at the moment, where you would like to be and what you're willing to do to achieve it, then I can give some more advice.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. NewBeetle

NewBeetle Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,346
    Jury's out

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Desmo

Desmo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,223
    Diet. It is that simple.

Everybody holds fat in different areas and, as said above, you can't spot reduce fat (choose which area to lose it from). Men tend to hold it around their stomach and then moobs and women tend to hold it around their waist overall and their bum. It's just life and genetics. That doesn't mean you can't shift it though and with a decent diet and some exercise you can get there...just depends on how much you really want it. I could show you plenty of before and after pictures of women I know and you'd probably be a little shocked at what almost anyone can achieve if they want to.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    I guess I need to explain some background.

Basically when I was a young teen I became really quite overweight.
    Then at 15 I lost it all in a year. At 20 I was 1.65m tall weighing 53 kg. My body was toned up (not muscly) everywhere, except my stomach that always had a layer of "stubborn" fat. I hated it at the time even though looking back at pictures, I looked way too thin.

Anyway in my 20s thanks to contraceptive pill, hectic work life, health issues and getting pregnant I put a load of weight back on.
    Through dieting and exercise I lost just over 3 stones by the time I hit 30. I'm still trying to shift 2-4kg but I'm in decent shape I think. 1.68m tall, 65kg. Going on the cross trainer 3 times a week to tone up.
    I'm not going to compete with top models any time soon but I don't aspire to. I was aiming for healthy first and reasonably fit.

The only thing that bothers me is my stomach.

My reasons for looking at alternatives to liposuction is because I don't want vanity and the risks of surgery to come before the needs of my 4 year old.
    But if I could get rid of my stomach I'd be a happy woman as the rest looks fine.

Now why I mentioned spot correction is because I once read something about fat cells being created when you put on weight but them never going away when you lose weight, they just "empty" but still take space.
    Hence having to somehow remove them.
    It could be complete rubbish mind.

So I'm not against exercising but bear in mind I'm a full time business running woman, full time wife and full time mum and I do enjoy some rest sometimes. I realistically wouldn't spend an hour at the gym everyday.
    And I'm not aiming for a six pack, just a flatter tummy.
  6. IronGiant

IronGiant Moderator

Ratings:
    +12,435
    Have you had a look here Jenn? http://www.liposite.com/ It's a mumsnet style American resource, from what I gather, or has developed from one, but I imagine still relevant.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. GBDG1

GBDG1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,288
    It's quite simple to address, just a change of diet and exercise required.

Firstly, you're only doing cardio, which burns fat, but also muscle mass. So you can end up being skinny, but looking chubby. I'd advise doing some training such as kettle bells and weights. It's quite hard for a woman to build muscle mass, so don't have any fears about growing huge - it isn't going to happen. What it will do is firm your body and give you a much better look.

Secondly I would advise changing your diet to up your protein intake. If you're losing weight through a calorie deficit, this can again lead to losing lean mass, rather than fat. I'm sure Desmo will be able to offer better advise about specifics. :)
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  8. mikelj

mikelj Active Member

Ratings:
    +257
    I think the only answer is what's been suggested before - diet (a healthy one I mean) and exercise. Both are equally important. I remember reading a study of some US Marines performed over the course of a year, who obviously exercise quite a lot, but still put on weight due to their diet.

Apologies for asking a rather personal question, but I assume it is fat rather than skin that's lost some of its elasticity (only AFAIK no amount of exercise would help the latter).

If you can swim, I'd suggest swimming regularly, if possible, and see whether a few months of that starts to make a difference.

Or feel free to ignore everything I've said as I've gained far too much weight myself in the last couple of years (obviously not from following the above:)).
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Duncan G

Duncan G Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    One simple way is to use your stomach muscles by pulling in and holding as long as you can regularly. This will tighten the muscles up and flatten your stomach.

The beauty of this is that you can do this any where, at your desk, on the cross trainer or while in the supermarket queuing at the till.
  10. Mr Incredible

Mr Incredible Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +8,249
    Could get one of these done and just pull the ribbon a bit tighter!

[​IMG]

Or a few bulldog clips around the back! ;)

Now own up you older fellas reading this thread, how many of you have been busy converting Kg to Stones and pounds? :D
  11. Duncan G

Duncan G Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    Now own up you older fellas reading this thread, how many of you have been busy converting Kg to Stones and pounds? :D[/QUOTE]

Short and hefty. :D
  12. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    The issue is not so much the muscles in my stomach not being toned enough, but the layer of fat on top of them.
    When standing up, look face on I'm fine, in profile it sticks out and drives me mad.

Basically (that's not going to sound pretty :( ) if I squeeze my stomach with my fingers, I can hold a "fold" that's obviously fat. That's what I want rid off.

Kind of like that picture (not me BTW):

Attached Files:

13. GBDG1

GBDG1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,288
    You're confusing muscle toning with building. Honestly, training muscles is going to work a lot better than cardio. It will give your body a better shape, burns more calories than a cross trainer, helps stop muscle wastage (that happens when you lose weight) and increases your Resting Metabolic rate.

Have a read here;

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/skinny-fat/#axzz1nDCtfxSY
  14. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    Well I'm still trying to lose a bit of weight hence the cross trainer. Plus my work involves sitting at a desk for hours on end so I figure it can't hurt to get my heart pumping a little :)

The cross trainer has options for cardio or strength training. Should I switch to strength or try something completely different?
  15. Desmo

Desmo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,223
    Will make naff all difference if there's a layer of fat sitting over the top of your muscles :)

Jenn, I know you don't want to look like a model or get very low body fat but you are the only limit in how far you go. If you want to remove that last stubborn area then sometimes you need to sacrifice that little bit more to get there, it just depends on how much you want it and how quickly you want it to happen.

We all have stubborn areas of fat and they'll be the last to go (and usually the place you want it least). What does an average days food look like for you? Maybe we could tweak it a little here and there to help with that last stubborn area :)
  16. GBDG1

GBDG1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,288
    Look up High Intensity Interval Training for the cross trainer. Add in some kettle bell training (Youtube or you can usually get a free session/class at your gym) and some weight training a few times a week. Probably the same amount of time training, just a lot more efficient than what you're doing at the moment.

Diet is the most important, particularly taking in enough protein.
  17. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    Thank you, I'll have a good read when I get a minute.

I can swim well yes but I haven't got the time to go to a swimming pool regularly unfortunately.

Yew! :eek:
  18. danny54

danny54 Member

Ratings:
    +12
  19. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +638
    My girlfriend is in a similar situation - layer of fat on her stomach that she is trying to lose before the wedding - I don't mind it but hey! women! :D

She uses our cross trainer on 20 minute cardio where it stays at a constant, medium level which I think says it burns roughly 300-350 calories. She then does a whole load of situps afterwards. Doing this 4 times a week seems to be making a bit of a difference

She just needs to cut down the wine a bit...but that's mainly my fault ;) :D
  20. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    Oh lord... I'm going to get told off.

Well I'm currently on a 1240 cal/day diet. Supposedly I need 1600 to maintain my weight based on my level of activity.

Evening meals usually consist of one meat (can be a steak, chicken or rarely lamb), a source of carbs like roast potatos/chips/rice/pasta, and veg like broccoli, cauliflower, stringless beans etc.
    I do love carbs but I try to keep it low if I can. We tend to have fish once a week or twice if I buy some salmon.

Breakfast is mostly nothing although I can have some nuts/seeds if I feel hungry, or sometimes I'll finish the last few "Krave" cereals that my son has left after his breakfast.

Lunch varies greatly. I had a time where I'd have a few cream crackers with tzatziki, sometimes some chicken breast with lettuce, sometimes a cup of soup etc.
    Generally I try to keep it around 300-400 cals so I can enjoy a balanced family meal in the evening and a snack at some point during the day.

Once a week I will indulge in a take away (but still measure my portions) :blush:
  21. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    My cross trainer does programs where it starts slow then builds up with a few minutes of high heart rate "racing", then slower again with more resistance, then fast etc.
    The cross trainer says about 265cal in 20min but with my size and weight, apparently it's more like 195-200cal.

I don't drink alcohol :)
  22. Desmo

Desmo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,223
    Don't worry too much Jenn, it's just so we can help where to adjust and on the whole, you seem to have a fairly balanced diet and not too much bad stuff chucked in :)

I don't want to start getting too technical and making it overly complicated to start with as it's not what you want or need. Personally I'd start with cutting carbs down so maybe reduce the portion sizes of potatoes, rice, bread, pasta, etc. and see how you go from there. People generally eat far too many carbs these days, in my opinion because they're a cheap filler. It's probably the best place for you to start and then go from there.

And don't worry about a weekly indulgence, does no harm at all :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  23. Lancia34

Lancia34 Active Member

Ratings:
    +638
    Ours does the same, some really punishing programs!

Maybe try an do the X-trainer 4 or even 5 times a week. It's only 20 mins so hopefully you can fit it in but will probably make a bit of difference (along with the diet recommendations already mentioned here).

Gets a lot more difficult to lose weight when you get over 30 :( I was always pretty skinny and could eat anything an as much as I wanted but then as soon as I hit 30 I started getting the manly pot-belly. I don't do a massive amount of exercise so I watch what I eat very carefully
  24. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    I used to exercise 5 times a week for 20-30minutes when I first wanted to lose weight. It worked well but then I had a lot to lose.
    The problem was that I was missing quality time with my son and husband because my son was going to bed when I finished exercising and after I reached 3st of weight loss I started to resent the exercising regime. So I put my foot up a bit so I didn't dread the evenings.

I know it takes efforts as I've been there but I don't want to be miserable doing it.
  25. Desmo

Desmo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,223
    Like you say, it's all about finding something you enjoy. I don't enjoy running, cross trainers or rowing all that much so most of my cardio is out just walking or cycling. If you don't enjoy it you won't do it.

Your diet is going to be key really and it's the easiest thing to change and control as it doesn't take up any more of your time, just might require a little more thought if you need things to snack on or eat.
  26. Duncan G

Duncan G Active Member

Ratings:
    +685
    But it will tighten the muscle and pull the tummy in so it does not stick out so much which was her complaint. :smashin:

I might try this myself and see if it makes a difference to slim my stomach as I am 27 stone . :rotfl:
  27. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    Yeah but my issue is that I have a layer of fat on top and no matter how much I contract my stomach, this layer sticks out. I had it when I was at my thinest.

I guess it's a family thing because my mum who's been skinny all her life has always hated her little stomach sticking out.
  28. Desmo

Desmo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,223
    It really won't. Do you think that everyone's abdominal muscle (it is just one muscle) which is the mainstay of your body's core stability just hangs loose all the time? Everybody has a six pack sitting under the fat and contracting that muscle multiple times a day isn't going to shift the fat or change the shape of her stomach.
  29. CoolBreeze9

CoolBreeze9 Member

Ratings:
    +67
    GBDG1 mentioned kettlebells and I second that recommendation. He also used the word efficient, which is key. You want efficiency from your workouts and I can't think of anything better than kettlebells for this. KB workouts combine both cardiovascular and muscular conditioning work, which is ideal for the your goals as well as time required. For example, replacing your X-trainer workouts for a KB session would burn much more fat in the same time frame.

You could get involved in a local kettlebell class at a gym or buy a kettlebell and pick up a workout DVD and just follow along at home.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  30. Jenn

Jenn Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,278
    I'll have a look at kettlebells then, thanks.

Any advice on weight for them?