Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alternative ways to watch F1 from next year

Discussion in 'Satellite TV Forum' started by davemurgatroyd2, Jul 29, 2011.

1. davemurgatroyd2

davemurgatroyd2 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,098
    Following the announcement that the BBC have lost/given up half of next seasons races to Sky Sports what alternatives do we have.
    Any other alternatives FTA or subscription?
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. dso

dso Member

Ratings:
    +28
    Surprised this didnt happen earlier, Ecclestone only cares about one thing - money.

How daft must it be for BBC to only show a fraction of the races. Its like MOTD showing half of the Premier League season and handing over the rest to ITV. Freeview only consumers must feel cheated by this.

At least Sky Sports are not doing the pay per view for F1 like they did a few years back, that back-fired big time.

Surely Sky will have to introduce a new sports channel as this will no doubt interfere with Super Sunday / Golf / Rugby etc etc
  3. Glenn Keen

Glenn Keen Member

Ratings:
    +2
    The Beeb do choose odd ways to save money.

Quote from Barbara Slater, director of BBC sport.
    The key words being "significant savings".

Personally I'd say scrap Eastenders and keep the F1 ;)
  4. Tight Git

Tight Git Active Member

Ratings:
    +605
    The majority on here would probably agree, but the BBC isn't run for Forum members!

Just compare the viewing figures...
  5. kevkbuk

kevkbuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +560
    Visit parents for Sunday lunch and F1 on Sky. :D
  6. Paul D

Paul D Active Member

Ratings:
    +349
    Nobody is asking THE big question...!

Will they have adverts during the race? (like ITV)
    If not then I'm fine with SKY getting it.
  7. Ghostleader

Ghostleader Active Member

Ratings:
    +308
    It's $ky we are talking about here, of course there will be adverts, their as bad as Mediasat is italy!:suicide:
  8. Davey H

Davey H Member

Ratings:
    +154
    Sky have already confirmed there won't be any ad breaks
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. Ghostleader

Ghostleader Active Member

Ratings:
    +308
    Still b*stards!:D
  10. thfccambs

thfccambs Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,383
    Used to pay for the F1 a few seasons ago when Sky did it. was excellent at the time.

Hope they manage it again, lots of behind the scene camera's.
  11. FC360

FC360 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    paying £17.40 for sky sports on BT vision and £19.99 for sky sports 1 on top up TV is a bit expensive since you only get 2 channels on BT vision and 1 on top up TV, might as well get sky that way your getting loads more sport channels. (Although I don't think it's worth it paying £45 a month just to watch F1, well £16 if you alrdy get sky) I might have to give this Astra 1 thing a go I used to get German TV but the receiver and/or the satellite is broken due to not being used in 7-11 years. I don't mind the commentary being in a different language as I'm more interested in the race not the plonkers talking about the wrong driver all the time and being 5 minutes late lol

thanks for this thread :)
  12. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
    All the satellites that I know of are still working. :D
  13. FC360

FC360 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    oh geeze rofl I meant satellite dish receiver on my house lol
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
  15. FC360

FC360 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    nice link :) unfortunately my satelite dish is almost right at top of the chimney but yes it's possible to re align it and fit a new LNB if I could get to it however last time I looked up at it it did look rather rusty so I could do with getting a new dish and putting it next to the sky 1 :)

For anyone who wants freesat Maplins have a dish and freesat+ box for £100 however it is SD not HD but still pretty cheap :)
  16. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
    A new dish the size of the Sky one would get the Astra 1s that are at 19E but you'd need to check whether there's anything there that would be of use to you.
    For those or any other satellites you could have one or more LNBs on a single larger dish, and the enthusiasts here will say you also have the option of a motorised dish for multiple satellites.
  17. PanMan

PanMan Member

Ratings:
    +1
    As my current 'TV around the house' setup is going to change soon, and as I do like to watch F1, I am considering a second dish, or twin LNB setup. My dish is easy enough to get to, and I have a number of old SD Sky and Sky+ boxes, as well as a Panasonic G10 with Freesat. If I have 2 LNBs either on the same or different dishes, will any of the old Sky boxes be of use? Can the Panny cope with 2 LNBs. Sorry if the questions are basic, but I feel this may become a busy thread with the BBCs F1 announcement, so it will probably help many!
  18. davemurgatroyd2

Ratings:
    +1,098
    I did answer part of your questions in the very first post
    . Many of the boxes did in early days support tuning on other satellites (although in a very clunky way - you had to use the add channels and then view via other channels - even worse than non-freesat mode on freesat boxes) the software updates on many boxes have now stopped this ability. The easiest way is a cheap FTA receiver as sold by B&Q, Lidl and on ebay for £20 upwards.

AFAIK the Panasonic TV does not support switching between different satellites. I believe you can set it up on other satellites but in doing so you would lose the freesat channels on 28 E. It is sold in this country as a freesat TV and across the rest of Europe for connecting to one lnb only.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  19. davemurgatroyd2

Ratings:
    +1,098
    Note to anyone reporting a Sky box which will tune this satellite channel (or requesting info whether a particular Sky box will work) please quote make and model number (from white sticky label on underneath or printed on back panel) and EPG version number from "system details". This is essential information as some models on some versions of software will work but many will not particularly if they are in currect use as Sky/FreesatFromSky boxes.
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2011
  20. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
    The detail from your first post:
    "Subscription free from satellite - on Astra 1 at 19.2 East on RTL with German commentary only BUT you will have live English commentary on Radio 5 Live. There are also HD channels which are more or less FTV (requiring annual viewing card and specific boxes/CAMs - HD+)"
    also answers my point about "whether there's anything there that would be of use to you".
    For the HD channels the card is effectively free with the receiver, which in my case cost around £100.
  21. Luno

Luno Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I think RTL have adverts on their coverage of the F1. I think we have been spoilt with the BBC's coverage, it won't been the same not hearing a bit of Fleetwood Mac before a race!
  22. davemurgatroyd2

Ratings:
    +1,098
    Note for those wanting RTL in HD - you only need a HD+ receiver from Germany which comes complete with the required card (which I believe lasts at least a year) from around 130 Euros see here for product range - http://www.hd-plus.de/#/wie-empfange-ich-hd-plus/hd-plus-receiver/produkt-finder

Note also that the HD+ card also gives the following HD channels
    Comedy Central HD
    kabel eins HD
    N24 HD
    Nickelodeon HD
    ProSieben HD
    RTL Television HD
    RTL 2 HD
    Sat.1 HD
    sixx HD
    SPORT1 HD
    Vox HD
  23. Tight Git

Tight Git Active Member

Ratings:
    +605
    If you've got the CD, you could always play it over the titles, just to get in the mood! :laugh:
  24. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,477
    My Technotrend was direct from amazon.de who work in English, was around that price, and does come with the card which is valid for one year.
  25. stusmad

stusmad Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I need some help please.

Aside of bemoaning the recent BBC1/Sky/F1 deal I need a workaround for the 2012 season. I would like if possible to view European free to air satellite coverage and use radio commentary for the races not aired by the Beeb.
    I could really use suggestions of what could work (in HD) using nothing more than a dish and receiver, and if possible, something I can install myself - my question asked primarily because I have no experience with satellite TV and have never had Sky (and don't intend to).

My whole AV system is modern enough to cope with pretty much anything so inputs are not an issue I don't think.

Basically, can I spend some cash to get euro freeview of F1 in HD via satellite? If so, what do I need?

TIA folks!!! :thumbsup:
  26. stusmad

stusmad Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I forgot to mention that the previous owner installed sky at my house... the dish is still up on my gable wall and the cabling is prolly floating about in the loft too. It's got to be about 7 or 8 years old as I've been there for 6+ years. Can that dish be used? No probs if not - just a thought.
  27. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker Member

Ratings:
    +233
    if you want it in HD then the cheapest way is using a HD+ subscription.
    a hd+ reciever and card valid for 12 months can be found on amazon.de
    you will also need a 60 cm satellite dish installing for the reception of the signal @ 19.2° east.

You will have to put up with multiply ad breaks during the race
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  28. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker Member

Ratings:
    +233
    is the dish eliptical,wider than it is high or more rounded?
  29. stusmad

stusmad Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Elliptical, and in good condition.
  30. stusmad

stusmad Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the recommendation - will have a look later. :smashin:

Understood re ad-breaks; I was thinking maybe multiple channel hopping and using radio 5 live coverage for audio. A workaround, I know, but better than no races (or Sky, LOL!).

Thanks!