Alternative to Panasonic DY-WL10 USB Wireless adaptor ?

Hi,
I have bought a Panasonic DMR-HW100EBK 320GB HDD TV Recorder with Twin Freeview HD Tuners.
Didnt know I would have to buy an £80 dongle to get the widely advertised internet connection, rubbish.
I thought the DY-WL10 dongle might be a result but no, it doesn't recoingise it so I need to return it for a refund.
Does anyone know of any alternative?
Really feel like Panasonic are ripping us off on this one.
Rant over, for now.

Hi,
I have bought a Panasonic DMR-HW100EBK 320GB HDD TV Recorder with Twin Freeview HD Tuners.
Didnt know I would have to buy an £80 dongle to get the widely advertised internet connection, rubbish.
I thought the DY-WL10 dongle might be a result but no, it doesn't recoingise it so I need to return it for a refund.
Does anyone know of any alternative?
Really feel like Panasonic are ripping us off on this one.
Rant over, for now.

Yes,

I have used an Edimax EW-7209APg WiFi access point set up in Station-Infrastructure mode which gives you five wired ethernet connections into your wireless network. The TV links to it by ethernet and effectively thinks that it has a wired connection and works happily.

It has a built in five port switch, so even after connecting the TV, there are another four ethernet ports free for other pieces of kit such as blu-ray player or htpc. I run the TV and a Humax HDR-FOX PVR through the Edimax and it is flawless in it's operation.

The Edimax EW-7209APg wireless access point is no longer available but the EW-7228APn is it's replacement and it is only £20 from Scan.

Edimax EW-7228APn 150Mbps Wless 11n Extender Access Point / 5-Port Switch

It was set up something like the drawing:

wireless.jpg

You first need to change the settings on the access point with a computer or laptop to set the mode as Station-Infrastructure and then make sure that it is connecting to your wireless router. The instructions are easy enough. Once this is done, any device that is network capable via wired Ethernet should see it as a normal hard wired connection.

i can second this - i took advice form IKKI a couple of years ago and still using that old extender and have recommended the new extender to other people - all works really well - I have a DVD, Humax PVR and a panasonic TV all running off it from a Linksys router quite a way away

I have TX-P46GT30B, a Home Theatre SC-BTT270 and Sky HD. Sky connected to home theatre with digital link. TV connected to Sky with HDMI 1. Home theatre connected to TV with HDMI 2 (ARC). Got the Netgear dongle and it works fine but it only outputs sound through the TV speakers. I cannot get it to put sound through the home theatre speakers.
I tried the Netgear dongle directly with the BTT270 but it was not recognised.
Any thoughts?

do you have an audio out on the TV that you can connect to an audio in on the home theatre
you may also have to change the setting on the home theatre to accept the audio via the HDMI cable - pass back

I have the TV and home theatre connected via HDMI ARC so the sound should be able to get to the speakers.

I have the TV and home theatre connected via HDMI ARC so the sound should be able to get to the speakers.

Try to connect only Home Theatre with HDMI1 (ARC) with TV.
Disconnect from TV every other device. Hard close-open it .

Ikki, does your Edimax setup allow you to access the DNLA services on your PC to look at photos/videos (via 'Media Player' on the TV)? I've just got the 7228, based on this recommendation and lots of positive feedback on Amazon, and it works perfectly as a connection to the internet via my router, however it cannot see my PC and neither can the PC see the TV (2012 Panasonic). According to a couple of reviews this is down to lack of UPnP support in the Edimax. Just wanted to confirm this before I send it back.

I haven't tried to set up a DLNA server before but you sparked an interest.

Just for the record I have the older Edimax EW-7209apg access point and a Panny TX-L37G20B. I normally use Linux on my PC (Kubuntu) but as you probably use Windows, I used W7 on my dual boot setup.

So, I tried the built in W7 DLNA server. You have to set up a homegroup on your home network and let it be discoverable and share and stream media. Absolutely no joy, the TV saw it but just came up with connection errors. A netbook on the network (also W7) could see it and access the content.

I have a Humax HDR FOX T2 HD Freeview box connected to the Edimax which has a media server. When enabled, the TV could access it and I could see the stored recordings on my PC, so DNLA through the Edimax seems to work.

I tried installing the TVmobili media server but it was a complete failure.

I then installed Serviio media server on the PC and set the location of the media folders. After allowing it to catalogue the files I checked the TV. Bingo!! The Serviio media server was visible and I could access and play the media stored on the PC.

So the outcome is that if the 7228 is similar to the 7209, you should be able to connect a DLNA server from your PC. However, success is dependent on the server used.

i have the same as ikki
and use on a humax HDR FOX T2 and a Panasonic TX-L32D28BS

and they both see my DLNA on
1) windows7, windowsvista
2) on a HDD connected to the router and firmware using twonky
3) tversity, Serviio

But I noticed it only sees mp3 as audio and I use MP4 for video

hope that helps

Thanks chaps, you spurred me into further investigation, but I'm even more confused now: It still doesn't work with my XP desktop (using WMP or Serviio) which is connected directly (with cat5) to the main wireless router; however my W7 laptop does work when connected wirelessly (without using any extra apps). If I connect the laptop (wireless disabled) directly to the Edimax fixed ports, or the netgear, then it no longer works! I've also tried the laptop directly into the TV and can't get that to work either. So I'm still unsure whether the problem is in XP or one of the access points. :confused:
I may need to break out Wireshark...

Hi, I use a Netgear WNDA3100v2 USB wireless adaptor, it works fine but then disconnects after a random interval, you either have to restart the TV from scratch or change the setting from wireless to wired and back to wireless again?
The TV is a Panasonic TX-L37D25B and is up to date with its firmware etc.
It is set to a manual IP address as this seems to be much quicker on initial connection. Signal strength is maximum from the router.
It affects Viera connect, BBC iplayer and DLNA.
It is not the same as when you initially turn the TV on as it always connects in around 20 seconds.
In summary it always works when you switch on the TV but it periodically disconnects, hence nothing.:)
Cant use wired where the TV is located.
This is becoming annoying.

That's about the state of play - I have a TXP42V20 with the Panasonic extortionate adaptor (bundled by JL) and it does the same.

JJ

Last edited:
We will just see what Panasonic think about this fault (just sent an e-mail), not for one minute do I expect any action from them.
They are normally atrocious:)

Hi all. I know this is the LCD forum, but would it be possible these netgear adaptors would also work with a VT30 plasma? The dongle that came with my TV has ceased working... :(

Hi Everyone :)

I brought NETGEAR WNDA3100v2 for my Panasonic Viera TX-L32E5B but I cant get it to work :lease: It works with my laptop just fine but I cant make it work on my TV :rolleyes:

Any suggestions? :p

Just read some reviews on AMAZON from where I brought NETGEAR and quite a few people said its not working with 2012 models :(

Im going to send it back as I ordered LAN cable that will do the trick :p

Thank you anyway for your help :thumbsup:

Like most of the others posters here I was unwilling to spend £80 odd to get my Panasconic unit internet enabled.
Especially when the dongle coast almost half the price of the "Home Media Recorder" I was trying to connect to the internet.

I know it's not a USB solution, but I did the following, and it did not directly involve wiring the TV recorder to my router.

I bought a "Wireless-N Wi-Fi repeater"
Wireless-N Wifi Repeater 802.11N Network Router Range: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

While the device is not advertised as such, it can act as a "Wireless-to-RJ45-LAN-bridge." It's mentioned in the instructions almost as a side note.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Hi

I have an Apple Airport Express Base Station in my study and a Airport Express (the smaller one that plugs into a power point) in my living room.

I have been able to connect to my Panasonic TV by using the Ethernet port on the Airport Express and connecting to the Ethernet port on my TV. Works a treat and was as easy as ABC to get it going.

I was going to buy a dongle until my brain woke up and clicked into gear! It is also a clean solution and will work for table or wall mounted scenarios (provided your wall installation has a pipe in the wall to run your cables down to the bottom of the wall).

The added benefit of using the Express is it extends your wifi coverage and you can also hook it into your amplifier and stream music through your speakers via your phone/tablet.

As the latest generation Panasonic dongle is not compatible with older generation Panasonics this might be a better solution for you.

Apple Tv should work as well, if it has an Ethernet port.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom