Alternative to Panasonic DY-WL10 USB Wireless adaptor ?

requiem

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently purchased a Panasonic TX-L37D25B and would like to connect it to the Internet via my home wireless router.

:lease: Does anyone know of any USB wireless dongles that work with Panny TV's other than the officialy recommended DY-WL10.

I've tried searching the forum and using well known internet search engines but have been unable to find any relevant postings.

UPDATE --> Link Broken
http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/tv/compatibility/usb/option3_1.html
gives official compatablity information

Update Currys now sell DY-WY10-EK for Less than £34
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/panasonic-dy-wy10-ek-wireless-internet-dongle-10690384-pdt.html?intcmpid=display~RR~TV%2c+DVD+%26+Blu-ray~10690384

Last edited:
Apple Airport Express - converts any LAN ethernet link into wireless.

Not exactly cheap but it is compact and easy to setup.

Just install the accompanying software on your PC or Mac then connect to the Airport and configure it to connect to your wireless network, then plug it into the TV LAN port and your done.

Last edited:
I'd still like to know if it's possible to use an alternative USB dongle so to that end does any one know what chipset the DY-WL10 uses ?

I'd still like to know if it's possible to use an alternative USB dongle so to that end does any one know what chipset the DY-WL10 uses ?

I recon it shouldn't be too hard to sort out, all you need is someone else with this dongle to put it in a PC, find out the chipset, read the bus/device ID and find a similar dongle with the same chipset and possibly using a hex editor to change the bus/device ID then flash the replacement dongle.

Last edited:
Thanks Dale

That's the kind of information I'm after now is anyone who has a DY-WL10 willing to oblige ?

P.S. to the moderator that moved the post...this is a general enquiry that could help anyone with a Panasonic device that has a usb port such as Viera TV's and Blue Ray players recorders which is why I put it under TV's in the first place.

Ok I got hold of an Apple Airport Express to try and am having a real mare of a time trying to get this to work. The main problem being is that I'm not using an Apple Base Station for my router. I have a 3Com Office Connect job.

Anyhow if you set up the Airport Express as a Wireless Client it DISABLES the RJ45 Connection. So my only hope is to set it up as a Wireless Extender 'Remote' using 'WDS'.

WDS is not a 'standard' and different companies implement it differently. I've seen a couple of posts in my google searching that suggest it may be possible with my 3COM Office Connect but so far I've not managed to get it to work.

If anyone has got an Airport Express to work with a third party router in this configuration please help.

This is how you setup the Airport to act as a bridge to the ethernet.

Step 1: Get an ethernet cable and plug your Airport Express into your network hub or router.

Step 2: Install the Airport Utility software, start it and after a while it will eventually detect your Airport Express.

Step 3: Now to set up the Airport give it a name like Wireless Airport and also put in a password.

Step 4: On the next page select “I want Airport Express to join my current network”.

Step 5: Now on this page select “I want Airport Express to wirelessly join my current network".

Step 6: From the drop down box select your wireless network and input your passkey for the network.

Step 7: Finally you will be left with a summary of your choices, all that's left to do is hit the update button to apply the changes to the Airport Express.

After the update is sent the ethernet link will break with the PC connection due to the configuration change, now plug it into the TV. If the wireless link is operational the LED will glow green.

Works fine with my D-Link wireless router.

The above steps are a first time setup. I dont quite follow what you were trying to do requiem but if you changed some settings already you may need to undo whatever configuration changes you made, steps 4-6 are the required changes. If you can connect to the Airport through wireless try changing the settings that way.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Panasonic TX-L37D25B and would like to connect it to the Internet via my home wireless router.

:lease: Does anyone know of any USB wireless dongles that work with Panny TV's other than the officialy recommended DY-WL10.

I've tried searching the forum and using well known internet search engines but have been unable to find any relevant postings.

I was looking at the manual for my new G20 to find out about which USB Hard Drives I could use, and found this page listing compatible USB devices.

USB Information of VIERA 2010-year Models (Option 1) | TV | Digital AV | Consumer Products | Support | Panasonic Global

It starts by listing the Panasonic wireless network adapter, but further down the page it lists a Netgear wireless network adapter that they say works in combination with a couple of different Access Point models.

@ Next010

Thanks for the detailed instructions...tried those and also trying to connect it in WDS mode. I later found a posting listing compatible devices with AirportExpress and 3Com it's listed but does not support ANY encryption (with or without the '$' sign pre-pended to the key) and I'm not about to leave my wireless network completely open. Once again thanks for the support provided.

I've now purchased a Belkin f5D7330 Gaming Adaptor on e-Bay and will try that when it arrives I'll report back on results.

@KerguelonAvon - Good Spot! I may follow up on that depends on my F5D7330 results.

Last edited:
Further to KerguelonAvon post I did some research and came up with this additional information

RangeMax Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter: Compatible Panasonic TVs

Which lists all Panasonic TV's compatible with the identified Netgear WNDA3100v2

And also the following setup page on Netgears site "Using the WNDA3100v2 to connect a Panasonic Viera TV to the Internet" --> Answer

Please note the following shown on the page linked.

Note: You will need a WNDA3100v2 with serial number prefix of "2D4" to be compatible with the Panasonic TVs. For a list of compatible Panasonic TVs, visit RangeMax Dual Band Wireless N USB Adapter: Compatible Panasonic TVs.

Success !

I have the Belkin F5D7330 successully connecting my TV to the Internet....First thing it did when starting Viera Cast for the first time was to prompt to update the System Firmware to 2.4 from 2.0. Which it did successfully.

I can now access Viera Cast however it doesn't seem all that stable. Sometimes it starts OK and at others hangs on a blue screen with the mini TV monitor in the middle. If I exit then leave it for a few minutes and come back to it I get the full connection screen.

Observations about the setup.

TV is set to Optain IP and DNS automatically, I use MAC Address filtering together with WEP on my wireless router...... I had to list both the WiFi MAC address of the F5D7330 AND the MAC address of the TV in my router configuration in order to get a successful connection.

F5D7330 can draw enough power from the TV USB port to run.

Sorry to hijack this thread but I am trying to do exactly the same thing. I have the same TV model, except mine is wall mounted, and was on the point of ordering the DY-WL10 from Panasonic.

Seeing your thread I realised I bought a F5D7330 a few years ago, thinking I could use it to wirelessly connect a printer via it's ethernet port, but this never worked and it has been lying unused and forgotten. I have dug it out just to see whether it would work as you describe but realised it only has an ethernet connection and a 5V DC power input.

What puzzles me is that you connected the F5D7330 to the TV USB port - does the F5D7330 come in two variants, one with a USB port and one without (not that it helps me)?

I have also mislaid the power supply so that's probably the end of it and I will have to buy the Panasonic USB dongle after all, although I do agree it is expensive.

What puzzles me is that you connected the F5D7330 to the TV USB port - does the F5D7330 come in two variants, one with a USB port and one without (not that it helps me)?

Hi ....no.... sorry if I gave a misleading impression...my F5D7330 is connected via an RJ45 patch cable to the TV's RJ45 LAN port. Power ONLY is supplied to it from the TV USB socket. Utilising the USB Power lead (2 usb heads 1 utilised) that came with the F5D7330.

I hope this clears it up for you and I agree the USB Dongle is riduculously overpriced for what it is. Elsewhere within the PC world a more realistic price for something that has exactly the same functionality is £8 or less :eek:

Try googling "open media wifi bridge" it might be worth using one of those or similar instead, if your ditching the F5D7330

P.S. To run a parallel port printer wirelessly if it wasn't initially designed for wireless you would need to go through a 'Print Server' such as HP Jetdirect 170x before making that wireless with the F5D7330

Last edited:
So who's going to be the first to buy a Netgear WNDA3100v2 and test it out with their Viera? :)

No surprise that I've given up on the idea of using the F5DD7330.

Looking at similar questions on other forums there are several options that seem more attractive.
1. HomePlugs - see Wifi Bridge. Sounds effective but rather messy.
2. Netgear RangeMax Dual Band Wireless-N USB Adapter WNDA3100v2 - allegedly, this is what the Panasonic DY-WL10 is based on, but it is 1/2 the price of the DY-WL10. It's main features seem that it is dual band and uses Push ‘N Connect which is the same as WPS.

The WNDA3100v2 is another USB dongle so seems most promising but I want to know if it would work with my Netgear RangeMax DG834PN wireless router. Can anyone confirm this?

The WNDA3100v2 is another USB dongle so seems most promising but I want to know if it would work with my Netgear RangeMax DG834PN wireless router. Can anyone confirm this?

Given they're both netgear devices interoperability shouldn't be a cause for concern but send a mail to their support desk to confirm.

Remember Netgears website states....

:lesson:You will need a WNDA3100v2 with serial number prefix of "2D4" to be compatible with the Panasonic TVs.

Given they're both netgear devices interoperability shouldn't be a cause for concern but send a mail to their support desk to confirm.

Remember Netgears website states....

:lesson:You will need a WNDA3100v2 with serial number prefix of "2D4" to be compatible with the Panasonic TVs.

Thanks for that. I have also checked on the Netgear support site that the WNDA3100v2 is compatible with Windows 7 64-bit so I have ordered one and will see if it works. Will update thread on progress.

I have bought a WGPS606 second hand from ebay, cost less than £20.
Works a treat with my D25, also got my sony bluray plugged in to it too.
It's better than a gaming adaptor as it has four ports on the back, it should work with an xbox 360 too.
Thought i would mention it to anyone looking for a cheaper way than the Panasonic dongle.

Good news - Netgear WNDA3100 installs very easily and works on my Panasonic D25 and with my Netgear DG834PN router (this router doesn't support Push 'N' Connect but no problem with manual settings). The actual model is WNDA3100-200PES and S/N begins 20A.

Viera Cast looks good and automatically prompted for software update. The Viera manual states that a bandwidth of 6Mbps is required for HD, which is currently touch and go but might be better when/if I am able to receive HD Freeview transmissions (not till 2012 in my area). But SD is perfectly fine until then (only needs 1.5Mbps).

So the WNDA3100 is to be recommended as a cheaper alternative to the Panasonic DY-WL10 and is affordable - I got mine new for £43 on Amazon.

Last edited:
Good news - Netgear WNDA3100 installs very easily and works on my Panasonic D25 and with my Netgear DG834PN router (this router doesn't support Push 'N' Connect but no problem with manual settings). The actual model is WNDA3100-200PES and S/N begins 20A.

Viera Cast looks good and automatically prompted for software update. The Viera manual states that a bandwidth of 6Mbps is required for HD, which is currently touch and go but might be better when/if I am able to receive HD Freeview transmissions (not till 2012 in my area). But SD is perfectly fine until then (only needs 1.5Mbps).

So the WNDA3100 is to be recommended as a cheaper alternative to the Panasonic DY-WL10 and is affordable - I got mine new for £43 on Amazon.

That's great news. Thanks for letting us know and giving the full model number. I've been struggling to choose the right one.

"Netgear WNDA3100 installs very easily"
Could you outline what is involved to install this please as I'm on the verge of getting one. Is it just a case of plugging it in?
Also, with the set hooked up is iplayer available? I'm struggling to find any info on this.

Thanks

@rettah

You need access to Freesat and Your TV connected to the Internet.
  • iPlayer is initiated using Freesat
  • Select any BBC channel (except CBBC and Cbeebies)
  • Press the red button on your remote control
  • Select BBC iPlayer from the menu
  • BBC iPlayer on freesat will then load after a few seconds.

* If you want to put the page number in directly it's 7001

Alternatively you can get BBC iPlayer as a 'Channel' for the Nintendo Wii and view it via the console.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom