Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

All non-unlocking iPhone questions here

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by riprse, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Cunny

Cunny Member

Ratings:
    +3
    I'm not a techie when it comes to these things but basically on my Blackberry my blueyonder and google email messages come through automatically like sms messages.
  2. dejongj

dejongj Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +4,359
    well there are two ways of coming through automatically. One is push email which is truly like SMS as in if there is an email it will be sent to your phone immediately. The other is pull in which you choose an interval time for your phone to check the email server. The iphone supports the latter, I have set mine up to check once every hour. But you can choose any time.
  3. stoomc

stoomc Active Member

Ratings:
    +298
    hi all. Have a quick query. I was under the illusion that the seinheisser cx300 headphones would fit the iphone no problem. However when I got them on Christmas day I found out that this was not the case. Have I completely missed something here? I know there are a lot of fakes on the market but my headphones were purchased from play.com. Any help would be highly appreciated. If an adapter is required, cAn someone please point me In the direction of some good quality and discrete adapter, I would highly appreciate it.

Thanks very much :)
  4. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    They don't take two months rental in advanced, but yes the billing is in advance so if you buy/activate it in or towards the end of a billing period it may seem you get billed for two months but you are not. I suggest to check the bill again in detail...

No that is not true, I was accepted unconditionally. There could be several reasons for it; you may think your record is good, but that does not mean it meets the providers criteria! you could have the wrong acorn classification, missed payments in the passed, have had too many (in the providers eyes!) searches occurred, or perhaps good credit record but not affordable, or perhaps just been an awkward O2 customer in the past I have read reports of people who cancelled a contract several years ago short who now have to pay a deposit...

No, or at least I haven't found a way in the last 2 months I owned mine. I actually prefer the keyboard upright as you get more screenspace like using the phone to post this message on a forum....

Did you not notice the words below where you are typing!? If you ignore or use the x to cancel the suggestion then it gets added to the dictionary. But there aren't many in there that aren't already included! Try to spell correctly :devil:

No it has not! Are you sure you can't remember your own number!? I've had my number for 11 years now so I guess it is easy for me...Why not add you own contact to the phone.....

Check out vajacases.com absolutely fantastic quality!
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    Any Apple, O2, Carphonewarehouse sells the adapter...
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. gerrysludden

gerrysludden Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi everyone

I am considering getting an iphone instead of an ipod touch (which I was planning to upgrade to) but have a few questions that I dont think have been covered so far in this thread.

I am currently tied to vodaone until november, but I know about unlocking criteria etc, having read that thread.

Basically, I wonder about the following things:

1. Can the iphone be used as an ipod/calendar/browser etc... without using the phone part of it (if I don't set up an O2 account for exmple - I'll probably wait till a full unlock for vodafone is available)

2. Is the Wi-Fi access available by connecting to a wireless network as any other device would (like the touch does), or is it limited to using the net as part of a mobile contract's standard package, like other WAP phones.

Any help gratefully received
  7. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    1 no
    2 yes
  8. spl23

spl23 Active Member

Ratings:
    +357
    Your own number appears at the top of the Contacts list - or at least, it does on mine.
  9. istanbul05

istanbul05 Member

Ratings:
    +94
    Not 100% on whether you can just use the ipod etc, but a possible solution would be just unlock it to O2 for now and get an O2 Pay as you go sim. :thumbsup:
  10. Stampax

Stampax Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Which is exactly what I am doing very happily. Decent tariffs on simplicity as well it must be said. You can also just hailbreak it to use it as a ipod with no phone functionality, which is what I did at first until I got board or waiting for an unlock.

Anyway, here's my latest question.
    Some websites have mobile editions - like the BBC. How do you access the mobile version, as apposed to the normal one? On wifi i want the normal one, but when on EDGE i'd like to load up the mobile version.
  11. rimibar

rimibar Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi Everyone,

I've read right the way through this forum and haven't yet found an answer to the following question. Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, if so please point the in the right direction!

I have used the Cloud wifi network already, so I know that the wifi function is working, however when I try to use Wireless at home it recognises the wifi router, displays that it's connected, but when I try to use the connection in Safari, iTunes or YouTube, it says that there is no wifi connection available.

Is this because the iPhone is incompatible with certain types of wifi encryption?

I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Thanks
  12. dishdoc

dishdoc Member

Ratings:
    +20
    Hi guys
    Hoping you can help with my problem - activated my iphone today, and everything synced as it should. I've been editing my contacts tonight, and when i've gone to play some music on itunes, i've lost all cover art! It was there earlier this evening, but now just displays a musical note:eek:
    Any ideas?
    Thanks in advance
    Dishdoc
  13. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    get a nokia or Sony phone! You will get the mobile web version all the time! :)

I just dont get it, why do people buy a phone like this and then attempt to criple it.
  14. Stampax

Stampax Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Sorry, what do you mean cripple it? I don't wanmt mopbile versions all the time, that was my point!
  15. stoomc

stoomc Active Member

Ratings:
    +298
    Thanks for the help but I was still under the illusion that the cx300's wouldnt have a problem with the iPhone

Anyway, thanks again. Will have to get over to the carphone warehouse for this attachment!
  16. mreltel

mreltel Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried to give connecting to the cloud network last night via my computer but cloud was asking for a user name and password. When you connect via the iPhone it asked for you're phone number the first time.

What did you type in to allow you to use cloud on you're laptop?

Thanks
  17. Muncey

Muncey Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a jailbreak 1.1.2 iphone using a 02 PAYG sim and many of the features on the main screen of the iphone i don't really use, is there a way to remove them or even make a sub section that then has things like weather, maps, world time, notes ect. all the stuff i won't use every day but still want, just not on the main page.

Is this possible?
  18. rentagas

rentagas Member

Ratings:
    +67
    The iphone and ipod are fussy about what ipod routers they will connect to. They do not seem to work at all with adhoc connections. There are various things you can do to troubleshoot your connection, obviously make sure the encryption mode and password are correct, then check that the ip address that the iphone is using on the router is correct (most start 192.. or 10...by default 169....normally implies the ip address is not correct). You may have to input the values yourself.
    The problem with adhoc adrresses seems to lie with the DNS server and if anyone can explain how to get the iphone/ipod touch to browse an adhoc connection I'd be grateful!!
  19. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    i guess it could also have to do with incorrect dhcp settings. i dont understand what an 'adhoc' connection is in networking terms...For example in my home setup; the wireless router gets its settings via DHCP from the internet provider, internally it provides private network with as gateway the router address and as DNS also the router address.

But no network found means exactly that, no network available! Are you sure the strength is good enough in your house?
  20. Cunny

Cunny Member

Ratings:
    +3
    Is it true that you can't manually manage your music between itunes and the iphone?
    For instance, I just manually drag and drop which tracks I want from itunes to my ipod. I would want to do the same thing between itunes and the iphone. Especially seeing as I have 50gb+ worth of musice in itunes and the iphone capacity is only 8gb.
  21. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    No that is not true....You can just setup a playlist and only sync that playlist with the iPhone....In my case I have got one that automatically contains all 4* or 5* related tunes....
  22. rentagas

rentagas Member

Ratings:
    +67
    an adhoc connetion is a connection between two wi fi devices which does not need a router, people use it for wireless internet connection sharing ie when a computer is connected to the internet and another uses this connection eg a laptop. This is a fairly inelegant connection for home use but works well when I connect my non-bluetooth enabled laptop to my HTC tytn 2 to browse the internet via 3G. The laptop sees the tytn as a wireless access point gets an ip address assigned via DHCP and is a happy laptop. But neither my ipod touch or iphone will do the same, despite the fact they are apparently connected, have an ip address etc.
    There are a number of posts about the fussy nature of the iphone concerning it's ability to translate a web address into an ip addresss (which is the DNS bit I think)
  23. rentagas

rentagas Member

Ratings:
    +67
    I have to say I didn't realise that you could do this on normal ipods but you certainly can't do it on an iphone. The best you can do is to create a playlist on criteria such as more than 3 stars, added in the last month, played in the last week etc.
  24. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    Ah I remember now, as you stated it is so inelegant that I totally blocked that behaviour out of my mind. I would never dream of doing networking like that and hate internet connection sharing. Although I appreciate that it works for you and the TYTN due to the lack of bluetooth...

Do the iPhone/Touch actually support this type of networking behaviour? And can you do adhoc with more than one device connected, as otherwise it would be come an infrastructure mode...So have you tried switching off the PC and then try the iPhone/Touch?
  25. rentagas

rentagas Member

Ratings:
    +67
    The tytn2 provides a mobile wifi access point in this case as such it is useful for providing internet access for mobile devices. It does allow multiple connections eg My N95 is happy to use it with my laptop at the same time. The connectivity of the iphone has been intentionally stuffed in a number of ways eg the bluetooth connection is for a handsfree kit only. It is fussy about what it can use as a DNS server. Of course if it would allow this kind of connection it would finally be able to surf over a 3g connection as opposed to EDGE which is it's main deficiency.
    I wouldn't dream of using this sort of connection in a home environment.
  26. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    I must admit that I never had any DNS problems, I use it at home (wireless router albeith, with further two wireless accespoints to extend coverage in our house). And in many public places, some from the cloud some from hotels, some roaming partners of the cloud never had a problem with DNS....

Are you sure you have your iPhone to auto? I also find it hard to believe that a wireless connection to the Tytn which then uses 3G for the Internet is really faster than Edge direct? I know it is in theory, but I find in practise that my Nokia E65 was on par with the iPhone.....

A normal wifi hotspot is much fast and stable....

Although interesting, it is also not common what you are trying to do...I don't agree with the comment that the phone has been intentially stuffed connection wise as Apple can't control/does-not-care what kind of connection you have beyond the access point....
  27. rentagas

rentagas Member

Ratings:
    +67
    Although this is a weird problem it would be useful for:

1) Someone who has an ipod touch thay they want to connect via another connected phone
    2) Someone who is using an (unlocked) iphone without a SIM or with a PAYG/O2 contract SIM and no data contract with O2.

Using a 3G/HSPDA connected phone as a modem can provide data as fast if not faster than a home broadband connection (P2P downloads via tmobile are faster than with BT though this may be because BT use a lot of throttling technology)

I would also point out that most phone data bolt-on contracts (including the iphone's) specifically exclude the use of the phone as a modem.

this may be a solution to the DNS issue

http://andrewescobar.com/archive/20...wi-fi-dns-settings-to-connect-to-the-internet
  28. dejongj

Ratings:
    +4,359
    Don't know why but we have very different experiences, I was on T-Mobile (now O2 with the iPhone) and 3G download speeds are nowhere near comparable to a standard 2Mb BT connection (which I have got at home). The latency alone is abysmal in my experience on 3G.

And then secondly BT doesn't throttle anything for me, I get full download speeds on my box standard BT 2Mb ADSL connection...

I wonder whether the DNS problem described is a) for hacked phones and b) for DHCP servers that weren't configured properly in the first place. Reads like a case of fixing the symptoms instead of the cause....
  29. jonnyp25

jonnyp25 Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Hi everyone i hope you all had a good Christmas. Right what new features would you like to see in the 1.1.13 patch for the phone?

i would like

1.send multi text messages
    2.MMS support would be nice
    3.A sat nav gps
    4.new text message sounds

Guy and (Lady's) have a happy new year :clap:
  30. decepticon82

decepticon82 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    morning, heading to my local carphone warehouse later 2day 2 pick up an iphone. just a quick question - ive read somewhere that you cant buy one with cash, has to be paid for with a credit card (is this true? because im intending on jailbreaking it so i can use my current o2 contract and i dont fancy them having my card details incase they decide to charge me monthly for a stupid overpriced iphone tarriff) cheers in advance.