Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alan Wake

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by meansizzler, Sep 28, 2007.

1. Rasczak

Rasczak Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,119
    I think teh thing with Alan Wake though is, since PR started on the game, it has largely been about the 'superb' graphics. If the game is Xbox 360 (or console) centric then it simply can't achieve that - at least not in our terms as PC gamers. Much the same goes for ID's Rage as well. Maybe they will both be great games - but they won't be cutting edge and I doubt either will either redefine their genres or even be particularly memorable in the long run.
  2. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    i can tell you now from initial videos i have seen from alan wake, it doesn't look any better then the two year old PS3 game called uncharted.
  3. eiren

eiren Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,532
    Get yourself a half decent PC hooked up to your plasma and you'll be a PC games snob too, trust me!

The difference is astonishing.
  4. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,353
    I've got a half decent PC (well ok a HD4770 isn't exactly high end but it's not bad, plays Crysis Warhead at 1280x1024 on Gamer settings pretty smoothly anyway) and I fully appreciate that PC games can look stunning but what do people expect, the 360 and PS3 have been around a few years now, frankly it's pretty amazing what they're achieving considering they're based on 4yr old (probably older than that) graphics technology (how do you think Killzone 2 would run on a 4 yr old PC graphics card?!). It just annoys me when somebody says 20fps, jaggies, tearing etc etc just cos it's gonna be on the 360, none of those are a given, there's some amazing looking stuff on the 360 and PS3 FOR THE PRICE.
  5. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,048
    Dont be ridiculous a mid to low end pc can run rings around a 360. What do you think a 360 is? Its a cut down old tech pc at the heart. Its GPU is equivalent to a 5 year old X800 which can do HDR and its cpu isnt no where near as powerful as 4 year old dual core cpu. A console cant touch a pc at all and it never will. Try and play a game @ 1080p, 60 fps on the xbox. It wont be able to handle it at all which is why most games are 720p or less @ 30fps or less.

I can buy a £70 graphics card and pair it with a £50 E5200 core2duo and it would **** all over the 360.

As Raz said Alan Wake was meant to be a show case for the pc but as they have taken so long all its fit for now is a console as pc tech has moved on allot since then. This means that they have a few choices.

1. Release the game as it is and look silly in front of the hole pc community as pc hardware has moved on allot since then. Remember this game was meant to be a pc showcase and was even stated that it would run best on a quad core cpu and would dedicate 1 core just for effects like wind, sound etc.
    2. Rewrite the whole game so its suitable for today's current pc hardware. This would cost allot of money and time. ie another Duke Nuke em.
    3. Down scale the graphics a bit and release it on the consoles. This makes the best economic choice for the devs.

As for me having the right to say its crap on the consoles, why not I have owned all the consoles since launch and this is my opinion. You say you have never seen jaggies on a console, well that is laughable as I see them all the time. 360 games if they are lucky might have x2 AA and run @ 720p. If they arent lucky they run at sub 720p (600p) with no AA. The same applies to the PS3.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  6. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,048
    What are you talking about a pc game is normally half the rrp of a console game and look and play a **** load better.

Kill Zone is running on a 5 year old graphics card its called a 6800Ultra. This is what a ps3 uses. Kill Zone is nothing impressive at all to look at compared to a pc. Stick Kill Zone next to Crysis, Farcry 2 etc and there is no comparing it. In fact stick it next to COD2 on the pc and it still looses. KillZone running on a 4 year old pc would look better than a ps3 as this would fall into the next gen of cards from the X800 and 6800Ultra. The dual core cpus from amd were out at that time and they are more powerful than today's consoles cpus. I was gaming at higher resolutions than 720p 4 years ago with AA on my pc. It was still a better visual experience than gaming on my consoles. Take Half Life 2 on the pc it looked better on 4 year old hardware than it does on any console today and ran at a higher res and frame rate. The difference is night and day.

There is nothing amazing graphics wise on any of the consoles. Its all old pc tech which has been superseded, this is why I just use my consoles for exclusives and everything else is on the pc. I also like playing at 1080p with loads of AA and AF, super sampling etc, try doing that on a modern day console.
  7. zAndy1

zAndy1 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,353
    Believe it or not you are preaching to the converted here, I did build myself a new PC for gaming, granted it's not high end but I'll be getting a DX11 card later this year which is why I went for a budget card for now. I fully appreciate that PC graphics are state of the art and look miles better than the 360 can achieve but that comes at a price. I know for a fact regardless of the technical ability of the 360 I am going to love playing Forza3 and Alan Wake, if a game comes out on both PC and 360 then I'll get it on PC. I never used to understand why people used PCs for gaming but I get it now ok (cheaper games, better graphics) but as I said it comes at a price (i.e. the hardware costs at least 4x as much as a console) so it's not for everybody.
  8. Razor

Razor Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +9,048
    I keep my consoles for that very reason, exclusives (resistance2, infamous, Fable 2, Crackdown etc...)

I am glad you can see why gamers like pc's so much and I for one dont mind paying more cash for a better, more flexible machine with a better end result.

To me releasing AW on the console is a cop out as they promoted the fact that it was going to be an amazing visual experience on the pc. As the game is years overdue and now only going to be on the consoles you can understand why fans aren't happy. I will try it on the 360 but I doubt it will be the game I thought it was going to be all those years ago (touted as being a next gen game which needed high end hardware, a bit like a crysis is today). Console hardware is just too limited to pull off all the effects it was touting. DX10 was one of these effects.
  9. SparkShot

SparkShot Active Member

Ratings:
    +438
    Looks like the pc version has been official cancelled now.

The reason for this is brilliant though:suicide:.

Looks like we all need bigger tv's then to match the xbox gaming experience:rolleyes:.

Funny how i use my PC, xbox and ps3 on the same tv though.

PC version of Alan Wake officially binned News | PC | Eurogamer
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2010
  10. GMC79

GMC79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,865
    Thought this was confirmed ages ago.

Not really bothered would have been bit better on pc yeah but will still be damn good on the 360 and not long away now as is confirmed for 21st May release. :)
  11. Geege

Geege Active Member

Ratings:
    +392
    I'd laugh when the reviews for the game come out (I'm tempted to read online and buy the Xbox 360 magazines) in May/June and they turn out to be poor, such was the hype for the game 4 years ago.
  12. Dr Force

Dr Force Active Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I did not actually know this had been canned on the PC:suicide::thumbsdow

I was really looking forward to seeing the fantastic graphics on a high end PC, I am sure it is still going to be great but is this the way developers now see the world of gaming???

Seems the gaming world is now consistantly leaning towards the simplicity of consoles:mad:
  13. JimmyMac

JimmyMac Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,706
    doesn't this all sound a little obtuse to anyone else or is it just me?

A game that's been in development for so damn long and in fairness one of its biggest selling points was going to be just how stunning it was graphically. So they have no decided to drop the one platform that had the ability to really push it graphically.....errrrrrrr
  14. eiren

eiren Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,532
    Sounds like a rubbish excuse for the fact that Alan Wake on a PC will look like a game that they started to make 5 years ago. Whereas on the 360 you are using 5 year old technology so it's not so obvious.

Also shows how out of touch with the gamers the developers actually are to try use that as an exuse... but it's a level of ignorance we see on these forums too about sofa PC gaming... no matter how many times we talk about how many of us have your gaming rigs set-up.

:thumbsdow
  15. Miss Chief

Miss Chief Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,119
    i think what this does say is 'if we continued to develop for both platforms the game wouldn't actually have been out until 2011 AND all the PC owners would have been moaning about the PC version being a console port'. :D
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. dingo8yobaby

dingo8yobaby Active Member

Ratings:
    +291
    Tbh, in my opinion alan wakes biggest draw was meant to be the atmosphere/storyline tho i'm sure pc graphics would have helped that I'm also sure the 360 visuals will be good enough.

Anyway, if its been confirmed officially that alan wake will NOT be coming out on pc, then this thread may as well be closed before it becomes concole vs pc part deux:smashin:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. eiren

eiren Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,532
    I really think it will still be a good game, just not as great as if it had been a PC platform lead game instead.

I'm keeping my 360 for exclusives like this, otherwise it would have been sold long ago. Be a good excuse to actually turn it on since I don't think I've turned it on since August now.
  18. Lampshader

Lampshader Member

Ratings:
    +48
    I was really looking forward to this but be buggered if id buy a 360 just for it though. Shame it's another kick in the teeth for pc gamers :thumbsdow
  19. mrbobc

mrbobc Active Member

Ratings:
    +366
    i second closng this thread. :(
  20. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    Originally Posted by 0iD
    Alan Wake PC Cancelled
    This was known months ago mate and I was the one who even posted it I think. My original source said how remedy are not making the pc version and only concentrate on the 360. This is old news hehe
  21. GMC79

GMC79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,865
    Exactly, Was known months ago that the pc was scrapped thread should be closed.
    On another forum it would have been :rolleyes::suicide:
    There's nothing to discuss. Dissapointing? Yeah but who cares now it's been said. Cant change it.
  22. Chaos

Chaos Active Member

Ratings:
    +286
    I'll leave it open for a bit so people can get all their moans out then close it. Don't want it to be discussed elsewhere really.
  23. Bloodflowerz

Bloodflowerz Member

Ratings:
    +101
    BEGIN MOAN

Just want to say a big UP YOURS to everyone at Microsoft! Decisions such as cancelling Alan Wake for the PC will not do you any favours. Without the technological advancement of PC hardware, your Xbox would literally be as good as a Commodore 64.

I own two 360's and quite frankly have not touched either since Halo 3. I game more on my PC than on a console. I understand console gaming is more accessible to people due to their financial constraints but I hardly doubt you would have made a loss if releasing the game on the PC platform too. The more developers and publishers that stop releasing games for PC, the less demand there will be for new graphics cards and technological advancement will suffer as a result. Consoles lack the modding community which PC games can bring and lets not even talk about graphics and the 360's lack of in game Anti-Aliasing, HDR, DX11 etc.

So, UP YOURS MS, you will never be getting any of my money ever again, and that includes Alan Wake on the 360, and even Office 2010.....

END MOAN
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2010
  24. SHARKuk

SHARKuk Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,061
    I am sure last year in a interview a big wig from Microsoft said that they have no future plans to support any pc games as Microsoft want's everyone to game on a 360. Mybe this is there first move towards that end. The excuse they gave about the experiance of Alen Wake should be played on a big screen so this is why they went 360 exclusive. I am and have and will continue to have my pc hooked up to a tv rather than a monitor. I know a lot of people who currently do this so just sounds like more BS for MS. The game looks great but I have a feeling its just going to be another Alone in the Dark let down.
  25. meansizzler

meansizzler Active Member

Ratings:
    +224
    Halo 3 was bad, bad graphics, bad story and nothing new gameplay wise
  26. simplyme

simplyme Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Eeep.

I hope you haven't posted your rant about MS by using IE...
  27. GMC79

GMC79 Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,865
    Aint much of a gamer if ur gonna ditch playing Alan Wake just cos u cant get it on the pc, I would have got the PC version aswell but since we cant i wont even hesitate to get the 360 version instead as only have that option and i aint a "Moaner" :rotfl:
    We all love the extra bling but still cant wait to play it after all this time regardless.
  28. Dr Force

Dr Force Active Member

Ratings:
    +579
    It's a definate 360 purchase for me because it will still look and play superbly, just a shame, because it would have added a superior lick of gloss and enhanced physx on the PC.

Still very much looking forward to playing it:cool:
  29. SparkShot

SparkShot Active Member

Ratings:
    +438
  30. cabanatuan

cabanatuan Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,923
    me too. i will just get it on the 360 and see if its better than heavy rain which so far going by peoples impressions that heavy rain is goty material