Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alan Wake

Discussion in 'PC Gaming Forum' started by meansizzler, Sep 28, 2007.

1. meansizzler

meansizzler Active Member

Ratings:
    +232
    What happened to this game, thought it was suppose to come out around the time Shadowrun did?
  2. Singh400

Singh400 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,416

3. meansizzler

Ratings:
    +232
    When it's done?, reminds me of Duke Nukem Forever
  4. Uridium

Uridium Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,881
    Due for a release shortly after Crysis 3 i believe :D
  5. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    The tech demo seemed really impressive whenever that was, they were talking about quad core utilisation. I imagine by the time the game comes out though we'll probably be on native quad cores which can only help with the performance of the game. Should be good, well at least pretty anyway!
  6. Maniac618

Maniac618 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    I have a feeling that by the time it comes out it will look very average, that's one thing I hate about games that have graphical promise but slide over time because of development time. Early preview videos give the 'wow' factor because of visuals but that can lead to the game's ultimate downfall for graphic whores who see it at release and realise it then looks old by then.

I was like that for Halo 3. I was like 'wow' for their E3 video in 2006. Now I'm like, 'er ok whatever'. It looks good in places, but is mostly very average.

Edit: I'll add that the Halo dissapointment was also down to MS tricking us all with resolutions etc. The preview vid was obviously running higher res than the actual release.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. meansizzler

Ratings:
    +232
    I agree..
  8. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Apart from the graphics though the physics did seem to be spot on. I've got no idea whether the actual game will be any good.

Hopefully they are upping the graphics from what we've seen so far though.
  9. Maniac618

Maniac618 Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Yeah, I'm sure they'll continue to try and optimise what they've already got.
  10. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    There's a good preview of the gamer over at Rock, Paper, Shotgun, including some vids if some people missed them the first time around.

11. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Well it is increasingly looking like Alan Wake will be exclusive to Vista only. The following is an excerpt from PCGH.de,

12. super-twisted

super-twisted Member

Ratings:
    +70
    It's not surprising to see, I expect it'll be the norm the most PC titles from now on.
    Microsoft need a way to shift their new OS and with the relatively poor take up so far they'll want some leverage on the buying public.
    I expect they'll be phasing out support for the DX9 SDK as fast as they can to force the issue.

I'm not keen on Vista, but with a little tinkering it's not too hard to get it running on par with XP and hopefully the long awaited SP1 will sort a lot of it's issues out. That said it's still not installed on my machine, and it won't be for a while yet!
  13. insomniak123

insomniak123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +378
    It won't be the norm for a long time. M$ aren't stopping development for XP until 09 with continued support up until 2012, this gives us 4 years of pretty much guaranteed DX9 support (as this is all XP will officially handle)

They're trying all the dirty tactics they can to push users onto Vista, I hardly think one game is going to make or break the OS market :rolleyes:
    People aren't that dumb; the game is being released on the 360 too, this is based on a DX9 library, so there's absolutely no reason it won't work on XP, other than the crippling M$ decide to put in the code.

Less than 15% of people use Vista at the moment, and no-one in their right mind is gonna pay £40 for the game + £150 to upgrade to Vista. Well some might, but not enough for M$ to make any money off the game.

It will flop for this reason only, shame too. It looks like being a winner.

(on a side note, I managed to get Doom3 working on a WinME machine years ago when it was proclaimed as "XP ONLY!" - thanks to a quick search on google and a handy bit of hex editing :smashin: I hope to do the same with this eventually :D )
  14. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Well with rumours that Windows 7 will be upon us in 2009, it may be a chance for many to skip Vista altogether.
  15. Widge

Widge Active Member

Ratings:
    +135
    I hear rumblings that this game is to be dual core only.
    The tech demo was running on a quad core extreme with a 7950 GPU (which is intriguing, since I'd have expected 8800)... wondering if this will literally eat a PC as Crysis reportedly does.
  16. insomniak123

insomniak123 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +378
    I read quads would benefit most, as MicroDumb are aiming it primarily at the Xbox360 which has 3 processing cores.

Still they base one aspect on the 360 (the multiple threads), but then backtrack and lie and say that they need DX10 for it to work (which the 360 is lacking). Hmm...

Games on the 360 are only required to run at 30FPS. I like to aim a bit higher on my PC. with DX10 already being slower than DX9, i see this game flopping like a well hung spider monkey
  17. Widge

Widge Active Member

Ratings:
    +135
    My big concern is that its by the Max Payne people. I was never into Max Payne myself, hoping the devs have pulled off something a bit different. I was all for Mass Effect until I found it was the KOTOR people doing it (although I'm still tempted to give it a chance.
  18. Mandark

Mandark Member

Ratings:
    +16
    The game will do well on Xbox as it will no doubt be marketed as AAA title. Hard to say how well it will do on PC. PC gamers like adventure games but they are picky.
  19. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    I'd be surprised if it is, especially since they made a big song and dance about it utilising four cores when they did their tech demo.
  20. meansizzler

Ratings:
    +232
    I found this

"So the PCMark Vantage Gaming HDD test is based on a real world scenario from the upcoming Alan Wake (streaming data off HDD in Vista)"
  21. mr_yogi

mr_yogi Member

Ratings:
    +148
    I read this as "at least Dual core", would make no sense to not utilise all for cores of a quad CPU, especially as they have been demonstrating good scalling accross quad cores.
  22. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Blimey - so it means Alan Wake will need an uber rig to play too!

I agree. As they've talked about quad core support from the start I'd be surprised if they suddenly changed their mind
  23. PinheadedMike

PinheadedMike Active Member

Ratings:
    +823
  24. amped2go

amped2go Member

Ratings:
    +14
    My Play order has not been despatched and they are showing a 26th Sep. 2008 release.
    I ordered this on 24th Feb. 2006, so excitement levels are pretty low until final product footage and a release date are set.
  25. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Looks like Alan Wake is still alive according to a post on their official forums!

26. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Maybe this is not dead after all- VG247 are reporting that a trailer of the game will be shown on 15th October.
  27. Singh400

Ratings:
    +3,416
    An ingame screenshot was leaked. I do hope that this isn't another Crysis like game, all about the graphics and no thought given to gameplay :thumbsdow

[​IMG]
    (click to make bigger)
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2008
  28. Rasczak

Rasczak Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,149
    eh!?! Crysis is probably the best FPS out there!
  29. Singh400

Ratings:
    +3,416
    Meh doesn't appeal to me, all graphics, no gameplay imo.
  30. Tejstar

Tejstar Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,012
    Well, the developers behind the game are Remedy Entertainment, the same developer behind Max Payne, and that wasn't a bad game by any means.