Alan Wake Xbox 360 Reviews

How do you rate Alan Wake?

• Total voters

Mark Botwright

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
41AMW6s2eEL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

So, how do you rate Alan Wake?

Please note spoiler votes will be cancelled.

Btw, if a proper mod wants to add any spiel/cover pics, please feel free. ;)

MOD EDIT: Done!

Double mod edit: Cheers ;)

Last edited:
Finished the game.

Overall 6/10

Got 40 of the 50 achievements in one playthrough - possibly one of the easiest to get 1000 on?

Story: Great story overall, seemed a little obvious in parts though and the ending was a little poor/easy. I love the attention to detail and quirky references to light throughout
especially the credits that get darker as you go along.

Gameplay: Very repetitive and little dated, we've seen it all before. Probably one of the easiest games I've played this year. The only times I died were from missing jumps.

Sound: Superb. Atmospheric, great soundtrack and love the radio/TV broadcasts. Good voice acting/script.

Graphics: Dated, pretty dreadful on the whole. Blurry. The lighting was great throughout though.

Overall, decent bargain bin game. I strongly advise that you don't buy it, rent it instead. The only reason I'm giving it a 6 is because of the quality soundtrack/story/voice acting. If it wasn't for these it would be VERY average.

Thanks for the decent review - glad someone who has finished it posted - often get people who are all excited after playing 5 minutes rating these things.

I decided not to buy this on release - massive hype, but I had a lot of suspicion.

Will get when it's a tenner on ebay, which will be a few weeks I think as it's that type of game. Was looking here to see if I should change my mind.

Thanks.

Finished the game.

Overall 6/10

Got 40 of the 50 achievements in one playthrough - possibly one of the easiest to get 1000 on?

Story: Great story overall, seemed a little obvious in parts though and the ending was a little poor/easy. I love the attention to detail and quirky references to light throughout
especially the credits that get darker as you go along.

Gameplay: Very repetitive and little dated, we've seen it all before. Probably one of the easiest games I've played this year. The only times I died were from missing jumps.

Sound: Superb. Atmospheric, great soundtrack and love the radio/TV broadcasts. Good voice acting/script.

Graphics: Dated, pretty dreadful on the whole. Blurry. The lighting was great throughout though.

Overall, decent bargain bin game. I strongly advise that you don't buy it, rent it instead. The only reason I'm giving it a 6 is because of the quality soundtrack/story/voice acting. If it wasn't for these it would be VERY average.

got to pretty much agree with that review, definitely a victim of over hype a good one for those gamerscore whores

Finished the game on Normal and started again on Nightmare.

Overall 9/10

Got 35/50 achievements (for 560/1000), I thought I was doing a good job with all the collectibles and stuff, but apparently not! :) Unlike the above review, personally I wouldn't say it's that easy, there are 5 different collectibles, you have to play it through twice (once on Nightmare difficulty) for the full 1000. Much better choices if you're purely after a gamer score boost.

Story: Great, loved the mini cliffhanger with the ending of each episode.

Gameplay: Found it really fun, using light to knock out enemies shadows and then using a gun to take them out. Enemies attack in groups, you have to keep an eye on two counts of 'ammo' (flashlight battery and weapon ammo), and while you're dodging enemies your flashlight flails about and creates great big shadows. The use of lights as a safe haven was nice, there's such a relief when you reach one, and at the same time, you're completely flooded with light that you can barely see what's outside your safe haven, meaning you're never totally in contol.

Sound: I only played with a 2.1 setup and it was good, can't imagine what it's like with 5.1. Roles were well cast, there's a good setpiece that has a focus on music and the sound never felt out of place.

Graphics: Doesn't have the impact of the trailers from a couple of years ago, but for me still pretty darn good. It's the whole presentation where the game really works for me, great light effects combined with darkness that makes you constantly think you see something when you haven't.

Everything came together to make a world that felt real and was strong enough to support the nightmare story that unfolds

I'll throw in some negatives since I didn't give it 10/10 (though the experience was easily 10/10): ventriloquist style lip syncing, can't play on while listening to the manuscripts, each episode after the first maybe a little long, the shorter first episode might have been nearer the ideal length, but each cliffhanger may have been too close then. They were kinda insignificant for me and didn't really impact on my enjoyment of the game.

It's probably stolen game of the year away from Mass Effect 2 for me, and although we're only in May, I'm not sure what else this year will rival it. I have the Limited Collectors Edition and have no regrets.

I also gave this a 9/10, but if I could I'd have given it 8.5. I completed it last night and I really enjoyed it from start to finish.

Graphics - Great during the night time gameplay (the bulk of the game) with superb use of light. Not so good during the day time. Facial animations are a bit naff (but hopefully that will be fixed with the DLC) and there was a small amount of screen tearing during some of the day time sections.

Sound - Excellent. The soundtrack is really good too. The end song is a perfect choice.

Gameplay - Great IMO. Too easy on normal though once you grasp the fighting mechanics. I would like to have seen some more puzzles. The few that were there were so easy I don't know if you can even call them puzzles.

Story/Atmosphere - Excellent. The game doesn't rely on overuse of cheap "jack in the box" type scares, but instead it creates an unsettling atmosphere through the use of light (or lack of it) and sound. The story would make for a decent horror movie.

Longevity - OK. I read a review somewhere that said the game is 5-6 hours long, but there is no way you could make it through in that time, even if you taped the run button down and went from A to B as fast as possible. It's a good length for a single player game, but that doesn't necessarily make it worth buying. There are collectibles to find and the Nightmare difficulty level is unlocked after your first play through (on either normal or hard), but I think you'd be done with this after 2 run throughs. If they bring out further DLC episodes that are as long as the episodes in the game now, then I think it's worth buying - and if you do buy it, stump up the extra cash for the excellent collector's edition - but based on what you actually get on the game disc, you could easily get by with a rental. It depends on your perspective I guess.

So yeah, overall I could see what could be improved (although that's true of every game I play :D), but I was hooked into the world of Bright Falls from the moment I booted the game up for the first time. While this isn't as technically polished as Assassin's Creed II or God of War 3, as a single player experience I enjoyed it as much as those games.

voted a 'good'.

I'm at episode 4 so (I think) I'm nearly finished.

I think the story is very good and original. Nothing like I've played before.

The graphics are very good, especially the panoramic views. However, there does seem to be some blur when you pan the camera around.

The sound and music are what make this game. The mixture of the two really add to the atmospherics and the 'creepiness'. These are the best qualities of this game.

The actual gameplay is quite easy, although I've been playing it on normal difficulty. Once you get the hang of the torch and the weapons it all seems to fall in to place and I've very rarely died. I've managed to unlock 320 achievements at the start of episode 4. Although, to unlock them you will have to play it through at least twice (which I'm planning on doing).

Voted for Very Good.

Still playing this and so far am enjoying it greatly. It's good to see a game that has challenged itself to draw you in to the story - unlike 99% of games I've played - and in that respect it succeeds.

I've had zero problems with tearing or any other graphical issues. Infact, contrary to what some have said, I think it looks great... at the very least definately good enough to immerse you in the environment. Then again, I don't expect (or want) photo realistic graphics in all my games.

Sound is amazing, as said. Nothing to add there.

Not given it a 9 or 10 as it executes what it needs to very well, but there are very few unique mechanics or gameplay elements that could have maybe pushed it further and even influenced future titles. Maybe one or two missed opportunities there.

All in all, definately worth experiencing. I purchased for full price and although I'm never one to refuse a bargain I don't regret paying the money. All games are over-priced anyway.

I'd rather pay my £40 and enjoy a suspenseful storyline, 12hrs of solid gameplay, support the beginnings of a new and interesting franchise and all with a few spooks and surprises along the way.

I'd pay for that experience over running through the pretty colours and explosions of yet another Call of Duty anyday. :cool:

Last edited:
I gave it 'Very Good' as that is how I have been describing it to my mates at work when they ask about it, sure the graphics during the day time are abit ropey and I saw a fair amount of screen tear in episode 4 but once it gets dark and the soundtrack kicks in its a totally different experience and easily one of my fav games ever on the 360.

Roll on the first DLC episode in July :thumbsup:

I voted Very Good.

The majority of the game was done very well. The story sucked me in, the atmosphere it created was excellent, and it plays very well. I thought the graphics were pretty good too on the whole, and the audio was really good.

I didn't have a problem with the linear gameplay really, although it did start to get a little repetitive towards the end.

My biggest issue is with the story, which I felt became a little bit confusing towards the end. It sucked me in from the beginning, and thought it was going to keep me hooked all the way, but from about chapter 5 I started to lose it a little. It doesn't spoil the game, but maybe loses it a mark.

On the whole though, really enjoyed it and look forward to (hopefully plenty of) DLC :)

Just hit episode 4 and really enjoying it, looks amazing but maybe it needs free roaming as its like playing Silent Hill on the PS2 but thumbs up its the only game which has taken me away from Gears in a while. Also the sound is a tad poor compared to other 360 titles but I love the collectors edition but I fear it maybe in the bargain bin before long and I will take a break before I complete on hardcore:)

Just hit episode 4 and really enjoying it, looks amazing but maybe it needs free roaming as its like playing Silent Hill on the PS2 but thumbs up its the only game which has taken me away from Gears in a while. Also the sound is a tad poor compared to other 360 titles but I love the collectors edition but I fear it maybe in the bargain bin before long and I will take a break before I complete on hardcore:)

Really?! Do you play with a surround system or gaming headphones? I play with surround headphones and the sound is excellent IMO. :)

No not got surround yet but I have to turn up the volume for this game.

Ah, I see. If (when) you get surround sound do yourself a favour and revisit this game. :)

When I get back from my hols im going to invest in one so I may leave nightmare level till then and play late in the dark(with beer of course).

Should i invest in this?

If you've played and really enjoyed any of these, Dead Space, Bioshock1&2, Batman Arkham Asylum, Resident Evil 5 etc then you will love Alan Wake.

I have enjoyed all of those great single player games I think Alan Wake is excellent. Most of the current poll results are for an excellent and very good game :thumbsup:

Bit at a cross roads with this game it's a good game don't get me wrong it's just missing something I have like others have been waiting for this for a long time but for me it has failed to live up to expectation.
I found myself wanting to finish the game quickly as I found the game mechanics and the story tedious at around chapter 3-4.
The ending was a bit meh Imo
if your thinking about buying this then go ahead and do so I think your 360 needs it as there isn't a lot of this genre on the 360 as an exclusive.
But if your a multiplatform owner and have not played heavy rain on the ps3 this is where your money should be placed it's a much better all round package
A generous 7/10 from me

Last edited:
i got the game yesterday and upon first impressions( i finished chapter1 last night) its not a bad game, so far id go to say its about a 7 or 8 out of 10 for me at the moment.

Story seems to be very good on it, also makes a change to see a game using a proper story, bizzarre which is nice and i dont know where alice is so at least its got suprise too.

graphics wise im not really too impressed, seen as the game seems to of taken forever and a day to be released i think the character models seem a little shabby in comparison to the likes of Bad company 2 and many other games. They are ok, but nothing special, although the scenery in the dark looks good.

sound wise i think it sounds good, voice acting is ok, music seems good, sound effects not bad either, yet to play with my 5.1 but even on the tv it sounds good.

im not too sure on the extras in the game, finding coffee jugs isnt all that fun to me but hey ho.

at 27 pound though it was too good to miss so i will say going on the good price and so far its kept me entertained well, its a 7.5/10

Gave it a good. Im quite enjoying this so far although it is starting to become a bit repetative. The story is evolving nicely but your really doing the same stuff every episode i.e running through a wood in the dark, Iv'e just finished episode 3 so this may change. Really like the style of the graphics and sound is also really well done. I would say this is an ideal rental game.

wel just finished chapter 3 and i think i woud now give it 8 out of 10 or very good, the games story is evolving very nicely, i like the touches that make it tv series ike by ending chapters etc.

as above the only downside to the game is the slight same kind of enemies etc and the small amount of weapons, i know obviously this isnt bad company so i dont expect rocket launchers to hand cannons but the pistol sucks so i try to stick to the shotgun, but overall a good game, and i have been playing it every night after playing som bc2 multi so it must be good if it pulls me away from that for a couple of hours a night.

much better than i expected it to be, but not to everyones taste, i think a must rental for most before they buy.

well, i have just finished the game and i have to say the story, in my eyes, is fantastic and the ending absolutely rocked.

I cannot wait for the first ot of downloadable content, yes it leaves so many doors open, but then the game goes on about how its a tv series type game, and this game is the end of the first series so that makes sense to leave the game as it does, but what a good ending, takes a bit to think about but so many possibillities for the dlc and also a number 2.

still saying a very good game now, better and better as you go on and i will be playing through again straight away!

I'd give this 8 out of ten. Good story telling but the game really does follow tram lines and once you get armed with a few items you become pretty unbeatable. I really enjoyed it but wouldn't revisit it. That being said, I'd get similar genre games just for the story experience and average gaming

Voted 8, Very Good.

Truly character and story driven (even if the story is a bit Twin Peaks) with solid mechanics and gorgeous graphics*, nicely split into 'episodes'. The DLC should be something to look forward to. This is selling for £19.99 new, which is an absolute bargain, especially with DLC incoming.

*It suffers a little from the old "uncanny valley"--the facial features/animations, particularly the eyes, could be better. The rest of the game looks great though.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom