Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AKAI EA-A7 Graphic Equalizer

Discussion in 'Hi Fi Systems & Separates' started by gohard, Feb 2, 2010.

1. gohard

gohard Member

Ratings:
    +0
    hi every one, i have a AKAI EA A7 Graphic Equalizer deck...

however the display seems to have gone very dim on it, it works perfectly fine

heres a picture of one i found on the net (just incase no one knows what im talking about)

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3009/2825449647_3688e4305c.jpg?v=0

can any one tell me if this can be fixed and if so how....
    i have tried to find a few hi fi repair shops and when tellin them the problem they have lost interest in the problem.

i did come across something on this issue with regards to some one else kenwood graphic equalizer deck with the same problem, and they were told to solder the display as the soldering comes off after years of use??

Please can someone help me with this issue i will be very great full

kind regards

jamal
  2. Gaspode_TWD

Gaspode_TWD Member

Ratings:
    +53
    How much do you want to spend on it? Many independent HiFi shops will have a repair engineer they contract this kind of work out to. However, you'll probably have to pay a fee to find out what the problem is and then another to fix it. The first should allow them to tell you how much the second will be. If its a quick & easy fix the engineer will probably do it while the case is open. If its expensive you'll be given the chance to back away from more expense.
  3. gohard

gohard Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i went to a hifi shop nothin fancy, they after one week they said they could not fix it... (dont think they did any thing)
    i did not loose heart and opened up the deck, and concentrated on the front panel which displays the lights, i found that the back face plate may require soldering, im wondering if i should do it my self, i have a brand new soldering iron and some soldering wire and if i should just solder the back...
    its very dear to me and can not find any one locally who could look at it, they all seem to be interested in lookin at it and taking my money....
    what do you suggest, i found a form in which some else kenwood graphic equilizer deck had gone dim and the reommended suggestion was to replace the electrolytic capacitor, after opening it, it has hundred and dont know which one to replace, the second option was to solder the joint which lead up to face place, as with time the joints become cold and need to be soldered again. but i really need to find the manual which is also becoming very difficult.
  4. Roger Thornhill

Roger Thornhill Member

Ratings:
    +71
    More often than not it is the display tube itself which is nearing the end of its life. It is doubtfull you will find a replacement other than in a second hand unit (with another fault-ebay?).

If you want to be 100% certain, the pins at the two ends of the fluorescent tube are the supply to the 'heaters'. These should measure roughly 3 to 5 volts AC across them and each should have roughly minus 25 volts to minus 30 volts with reference to 0 volts (the chassis of the unit or the RCA audio connection outer).

These voltages are approximate but if when you measure them they are wildly out then that could be your problem.

The circuit supplying these voltages usually comprises of a couple of electrolytic capacitors taking the AC from a winding on the mains transformer (it was probably these in the Kenwood you mention) maybe some large voltage dropping resistors (could be going high resistance) and a transistor and zener diode giving the negative supply. These semiconductor devices can fail and give a 'dim' display.

It will be difficult without a manual but not impossible.

My gut feeling is though that the tube itself is failing.