Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice in setting up magic eye with Labgear hdu681 8 way distribution system

Discussion in 'Sky Forum' started by Lizaberry, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Lizaberry

Lizaberry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi. This is my maiden post, so please be gentle.

Today my husband finally got around to replace our rather old TV splitter with an 8 Way Labgear HDU681 TV Distribution System. If any of your have any experience of setting one of these up, I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Previously we had a magic eye set up on our main TV and the digital bypass lead was connected to the tv splitter fairly easily. ( Not so with the Labgear unit.) Our digibox is hidden away in a cupboard, which is located behind the wall that our main TV is mounted upon. The magic eye sits on top and it saves us having the digibox in the same room. We have yet to fathom out how the bypass lead fits in to the setup of the new system. My husband has fitted a 3 way screened faceplate (TV, SAT & FM/DAB). The main aerial is attached to the UHF socket on the distribution unit and the sky dish aerial is attached to the LNB2 socket. The combined signal lead has then been connected to the 3 way face plate. A separate lead is then plugged into the SAT socket on the faceplate and connects to the back of the digibox. The Up Link has a lead running from it which runs down and is connected into the RF2 out socket on the back of the digibox (as we have no RETURN socket on the face plate for it to run from). Our other TV's are connected by the OUT1, OUT2 sockets, etc.

At the moment we are having to run into the cupboard each time we want to change channel and so are keen to try and sort it out asap.

Furthermore, we have been unable to tune any of our TV's that have built-in Freeview, so we have another problem that needs someone's good advice.

I'd love to hear from anyone who might be able to help,

:lease:

Thanks in advance.
  2. alan1572

alan1572 Member

Ratings:
    +69
    first thing is that the Labgear HDU681 is ok for the magic eye set up so it should work ok, 2nd thing....i've read and re-read the rest of your post but i keep confusing myself, i'm certain it's not the way you have posted, it's just me..i'll have another go.:confused:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,107
    I may be wrong but I imagine it's lnb 1 in that is diplexed with the terrestial onto the single downlead. lnb2 will likely be for a twin sat tuner install and requires a second downlead.. You should not need the bypass the box will provide power to any eyes used on remote tv's. At the downstairs end simply route the return from rf2 via the eye.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Lizaberry

Lizaberry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Bit of an update. We've sorted out the freeview problem. About a week ago, in my wisdom, I turned off the dvd recorder in our lounge. The thing is, we not only have a dvd recorder, but sitting on top of it is a surround sound system (dvd player only). When my husband and I started talking about the set up, and about the RF2 lead, it occured to me that in switching off the dvd recorder, I had caused the problem. Sure enough, the RF2 lead feeds into the back of the recorder and as soon as I turned it back on, suddenly the freeview signal returned. Sorted! Result!

Ok, so still battling to understand the whole magic eye thing. Whilst I'm grateful for your help, I'm gonna call the manufacturer and will update with anything I manage to gleen from my call to them.

Thanks once more!
  5. Stevenage Neil

Stevenage Neil Active Member

Ratings:
    +894
    deleted
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Lizaberry

Lizaberry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so I have just got off the phone from the company who have taken Labgear over, and have been told that we don't need to fit the bypass kit because the distribution unit will do it automatically. The chap is wondering whether our set up is isolating the signal and that's why the eye won't work.

He said that the RF2 lead should go straight into the back of the skybox and back up to the return/uplink socket. As for the VCR & DVD player, apparently anything like this goes before the sky box. I am having a dull moment here, cos I thought that was how we had it set up anyway??? I don't understand what he means when he says 'before' the sky box??

Can anyone shed any light on this for me? If anyone can help me understand how my sky box, dvd recorder & other dvd player for the home surround system should be connected in conjunction with the magic eye, etc. I'd be so grateful.

Thanks so much, L
  7. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    Put the Eye in the cable before the DVD recorder/Surround system.
  8. Lizaberry

Lizaberry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    That sounds easy enough but ...

If I can explain ... At the moment the magic eye sits on top our main TV with the sky box located in an understairs cupboard which is directly behind the wall the TV is mounted on. There is currently there is a black lead running from the rf1 outlet into the magic eye socket and the magic eye is then somehow connected to the TV. In the same room as the TV, there is a dvd recorder and a surround sound system dvd player. The connections for these run back into the cupboard and link in to the skybox/tv as necessary.

I have just been up to our loft and can see that all connections running from the distribution unit seem to be ok and we have a blue light which indicates the power is on (to supply to the magic eye I guess). Since my TV is wall mounted it is hard for me to know which connections are going into which sockets and quite where the connections to/from the dvd recorder/player fit in to the overall set up.

My husband is at work but I enjoy a challenge and would love to be able to say to him when he gets home tonight that, with your help, I've sussed it out.

As I said, based on my current equipment, if someone is able to determine which leads go into what, it may just be a case of reconifuring our set up and the solution may just rest in the fact that one of the leads needs to changed with another one. Hope that makes sense. Apprecicate your help all the same.

Thanks, L
  9. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    There's your problem.

The Eye should be connected to RF2 on the Sky box.
  10. Lizaberry

Lizaberry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just been trying to remove it from the wall mounted tv and although I can remove the eye itself from the tv and replug in the black lead to restore the picture, I cannot remove the eye itself as it is wedged in at the top & bottom behind the TV. Just wish I had a spare I could test with!!!

Thanks for that clarification. Do I take it that it doesn't connect to the TV now then, I just plug it in to the back of the sky box in the RF2 socket? This could cause a problem in so much as how I get the eye to remain in the room with the TV. Could be that we have to return the skybox back to the lounge and forget the whole eye thing.

Oh well, without removing the TV from the wall, I guess there's little else I can do to rectify things now until my hubby gets home.

Thank you, L
  11. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    Just swap the cable on the Sky box from RF1 to RF2. No need to touch anything in the lounge.
  12. Lizaberry

Lizaberry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But what happens to the fact that the RF2 socket is already taken by the return/uplink cable? Sorry, am I being thick here?? Can you explain a bit more, thanks, L
  13. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    If you do not use Eyes upstairs just swap the cables in RF1 and RF2 over on the back of the Sky box.

They both carry the same signals but the Eye will only work on RF2.
  14. Lizaberry

Lizaberry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I think I've done it!!!

I just popped in to the cupboard and took out the lead that was in RF2 (coming from the uplink/return) and swapped it for the one that was coming out of RF1 and which was connected to the magic eye. Hey presto, red light on the eye came on and I was able to change channel. Steve, what a star you are - you deserve a medal for your persistance in helping me today. Now I can get on with some other jobs! Like ironing, cleaning, etc. I hate it when you can't fathom something like this out and then when you do, it was something so simple.

So, why is it that you put it in RF2 then - I thought it would throw everything out!!

Thanks again, L:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::smashin::smashin:
  15. Lizaberry

Lizaberry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just looked at your recent post to me. What happens if we decide to fit magic eyes to the TV's upstairs? Is this even possible. We were only ever able to fit one to our old system ..

Thx, L
  16. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    It was obviously in RF2 before hubby changed things - blame him!

Neil
  17. Lizaberry

Lizaberry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Everso sorry, I called you Steve, didn't I? I quickly glanced at your name and was so excited to reply to you I mistook it for Steve (it was Stevenage Neil, oops!!).

Why does the info say the return/up should go in RF2 - I just wanted to try and understand how it worked, that's all!

Ta, Liz
  18. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    You would have to put the uplink cable back into RF2 and then either "T" the Eye cable into the uplink cable, or run another cable from one of the outputs from the Labgear to the lounge Eye cable.
  19. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    It is assumed that people would want to use Eyes and Eyes only work on RF2.
  20. Lizaberry

Lizaberry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just seems strange that after the leaflet beats on about the uplink/return goes into RF2, that it also works in RF1 when you are fitting a magic eye. Shame they don't mention this on their info - caused a lot of confusion to us, and others I suspect.

About setting up magic eyes to other TV's. Is there any reason why the current set up with our main TV cannot remain and we just fit them on the TV's in the usual way (i.e direct into the aerial point)??

Thx, L

Sorry if this seems like a Spanish inquisition, but it would be helpful to know if we decide to do it.
  21. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    Don't you mean when NOT using an Eye?

For the sake of a few extra words on their instructions, I agree.

Any, and all, Eyes have to be connected to RF2, either direct or through the Labgear.
  22. Lizaberry

Lizaberry Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll mention this to my hubby when he gets home. May need to come back to you again to find out how you connect any additional ones via RF2 through the Labgear.

At the moment, just glad to get everything back to where it was yesterday morning!!

You've been a great help.
    I can't thank you enough!
    Regards, Liz
  23. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +3,107
    The RF2 output has 9V DC to power the eyes and circuitry to turn the signals sent back from magic eyes to control signals for the sky box. rf1 out just has the modulator channel. Provided the upstairs box is fed from rf2 out you can add eyes.

Normally your terrestrial aerial connects straight to the sky box rf1 in. The rest of your local equipment is then chained using rf1 out finally finishing up at the TV. In your case you need to also connect the local eye to rf2 out. Simplest way is to get a decent two way splitter with dc pass on at least one leg. Conect the local eye to the leg with dc pass and the other to the loft box (This provides it's own dc power for the other eyes so you don't need to send dc from the skybox.
  24. derbyjj

derbyjj Member

Ratings:
    +19
    hmm.
    Had a shufty at the install guide (a pdf on screwfix)
    I think your problem is that you don have enough connections in place (lol)

easiest way if you have a spare out on the labgear is to run a coax direct to your tv location and connect the eye to that. that will deffo work.

if you have sky + one of the lnbs will be connected directly to the back of the skybox( it may be connected to the labgear but its probably not from your description )

step by step
    If you have
    labgear in loft
    lnb connected to lnb2 in of the labgear
    uhf aerial connected to UHFIN of labgear.
    down link connected to faceplate
    rfout2 of sky box connected directly to uplink

then you have sat available on the faceplate sat socket to connect to your sky box
    uhf for freeview and the sky channel you are watching on all of the outs of the labgear.and the UHF on the faceplate.

the RFOUT2 must be connected directly to the uplink on your amp. Its used to send the sky rf channel around your house and to receive the IR signals from the remote eyes.

your dvd recorder assuming its freeview should ideally be connected to one of the outs of the dist amp but could be connected to the UHF on the faceplate

If you use it to record sky via UHF then connect it to rfout1 of the sky box it will only be able to pick up the sky channel you are watching because you have not connected your aerial to the rfin on the sky box.

It might be easier if you list what you want to be able to watch / record and where as well as what type dvd recorder your have analogue and of freeview or both.
    Guessing sometimes gives the wrong answers.

I think what you want is
    1 hide the sky box
    2 watch sky all over the house.
    3 have sky/dvd in the main room in surround sound
    4 be able to record sky on DVD
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  25. Stevenage Neil

Ratings:
    +894
    That's great, but what new info have you added to the discussion?
  26. derbyjj

derbyjj Member

Ratings:
    +19
    Apologies.
    I had not started at the end of the thread.
    Will ensure I read all th ethread next time.