Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adobe PSE12 launched

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by johnaalex, Sep 25, 2013.

1. johnaalex

johnaalex Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,461
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. shotokan101

shotokan101 Well-Known Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +13,525
    Dunno John.... Dunno.... ;)

I agree - from that press release the main thing really seems to be that it's now 64 Bit.... <shrugs>
  3. loz

loz Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,420
    But only on a mac...
  4. shotokan101

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +13,525
    :eek:

...I had presumed that it was quoted in that manner because only Mac owners would be anal enough to care .... :devil:
  5. snerkler

snerkler Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,908
    What, don't you PC users care about things like that? :confused::laugh:

I don't really understand what the whole bits thing is tbh, but if 64 bits means it can run faster then that's always a winner :smashin:
  6. shotokan101

Media:
    Albums:
    Ratings:
    +13,525
    Not really to do with speed TBH - for me at least the key difference is more to do with how much physical memory can be addressed by programs - if you want to understand the "nitty gritty" differences then have a read here :-

The Lifehacker Guide to 64-bit vs. 32-bit Operating Systems

It's Windows based but gives the general idea :)

Jim
  7. snerkler

snerkler Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,908
    Thanks, interesting read. In theory it should allow the system to run faster though :smashin:

I might give PSE a trial tbh. As you know LR won't export sharpening, noise and other adjustment settings anymore and so until they launch a fix (assuming they do) it's a useless bit of software for me at the mo. I'm not overly keen on the interface of aperture, its slow RAW adjustments, and its poor noise reduction, and when I trialled Photoshop CC this weekend it's to complicated for it's own good, and again the interface isn't as nice a LR. Plus there's that stupid subscription thingy. So I might give PSE a whirl until LR is fixed :rolleyes:
  8. juggler

juggler Member

Ratings:
    +36
    PSE with Elements Plus does an awful lot of what PS CC can do, especially if you use Lightroom already.

About Elements+

(no connection, just a happy customer)
  9. snerkler

snerkler Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,908
    Thanks, I've just downloaded the trial. The interface is very similar to Photoshop CC. For basic photo editing both are over complicated imo (the basic function of PSE is too basic). What I like about LR is the ease of importing, and the ease of functions, as well as applying adjustments in real time. Some of photoshop and PSE adjustments don't really apply in real time (the previews aren't great) and so you have to wait for the adjustment/layer to load, see what it's like, find it's too much or too little, adjust it again, wait for it to load etc etc. The same is true for the RAW adjustments in Aperture.

For me LR is perfect and I do hope they fix the export bug sooner rather than later. I can use aperture in the meantime though. Granted I haven't used photoshop and PSE much, but they do seem a faff for straight forward photo editing. I'm sure when you get into more complex stuff they come into their own though :smashin:
  10. juggler

juggler Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Depends what you're trying to do, I suppose. I find the combination of Lightroom & PSE + Elements+ just right for me. Lightroom does the core of the work but any sophisticated masking, cloning, filters or curves adjustments happen in Elements.
  11. snerkler

snerkler Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,908
    Yeah I'm not very clued up with them to be honest so straight forward exposure, contrast, WB, Sharpening, clarity, vibrancy, saturation and noise reduction is all I tend to use most of the time, and for that I find that LR is best in terms of interface and the way it applies these effects. I have played about with heal and clone in a couple of portraits but as I've not learnt how to take portraits properly yet I haven't explored this in great detail. I have found though that I prefer the way effects such as skin softening look nicer in aperture than LR.

I don't really understand filters and curves yet, maybe when I do I'll appreciate PS/PSE more. I don't even know how to send photos from LR to PSE, other than saving them and then opening them separately in PSE. Is there a way to send LR images/projects directly to PSE? Maybe this could be a workaround for my export issues in LR.
  12. juggler

juggler Member

Ratings:
    +36
    r-click image - edit in PS Elements
  13. snerkler

snerkler Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,908
    Well it doesn't get any easier than that does it :facepalm::laugh: