Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adding extra monitor to Targus Mobile DVI Docking Station with Video

Discussion in 'Monitors, Webcams & External Video Devices' started by ampersand, Dec 6, 2011.

1. ampersand

ampersand Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have been using Targus Mobile DVI Docking Station with Video with my laptop for a year now. Quite happy with it. But now I want to add another monitor to my setup. Targus has only one DVI port. Does anyone have any idea how I can add a second monitor to Targus Mobile DVI Docking Station with Video?

Thanks
  2. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +704
    Can you post a link to the Targus Dock details ?
    Does the dock only have DVI or does it include a VGA 15 pin dSub ?
    Is the laptop VGA or other graphics port still physically acccessible whilst docked ?
    Laptop make and model ?
  3. ampersand

ampersand Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, here it is
    http://www.cohaku.com/item/targus-mobile-dvi-docking-station-with-video#.Tt5KZrK0PHo

The dock only have DVI output. Also I can't use laptops vga out as I am swapping between two laptops all the time. Both are Dell Latitude E4310. At the moment I only swap the usb cable on the dock and all my mouse/keyboard and other usb devices as well as the monitor swap without any problem.

All I want to do is add another monitor to this setup :)

Thanks
  4. ampersand

ampersand Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, there wasn't much spec on the previous link .here is spec from amazon

Product Features

Interface: USB 2.0
    USB 2.0 ports quantity: 4
    Ethernet LAN (RJ-45) ports quantity: 1
    DVI port: Y
    Colour of product: Black

Functionality – USB 2.0 single connection to numerous peripherals including, a Monitor (DVI), network, audio and up to four USB devices
    High performance – Supports monitor resolutions up to 2048 x 1152
    Always on – 2 x Always on USB ports enable you to keep charging USB devices even when the docking station is no longer connected to the laptop, or the laptop enters sleep mode
    Designed for Comfort and Cooling: Raised notebook platform improves airflow and cooling
    Compatibility – Windows XP and Vista Compatible

Technical Details

Compatibility – Windows XP and Vista Compatible
    AC adapter required.
  5. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel Active Member

Ratings:
    +704
    Just found a review here Review: Targus Mobile Docking Station with Video.
    I am still not clear whether you can use your 1 of your laptop's video outputs simultaneously with the video port replicator of the dock because you haven't told us what video outputs the laptop has (or its make/model).
    You should certainly be able to use the laptop's own screen simultaneously with the monitor (extended screen mode) as 1 of the Amazon reviewers accomplished that.
  6. ampersand

ampersand Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    For some reason my previous post wasn't published ( I think it's I posted a link).

Anyway, my problem is I use two laptops, 1 company laptop and 1 personal laptop. So I swap between those and they site on the shelf far away from me. I don't use their screen at all. That's why it really doesn't matter what video output port they have (vga by the way).

Both laptops are Dell Latitude E4310.
  7. ampersand

ampersand Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Also that review is not for my dock. I think it's an old version. Mine only have one DVI port and I use 24" monitor without any problem. I just want to add another monitor without touching my laptops :)
  8. EndlessWaves

EndlessWaves Active Member

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Firstly, I'm assuming you want the second monitor as an extended desktop for more work space. If you just want to duplicate the first screen then the post below doesn't apply

To drive a second monitor you have to buy a second docking station.

USB has about 10% of the capacity needed to run a conventional monitor, USB devices with monitor outputs get around this by reducing the quality, generally by compressing the video on the PC and then uncompressing it before it goes out of the DVI port. It can just about manage the trick without showing big cracks for one monitor if it's not too high in resolution or used too demandingly but that's your lot, you're not going to get a second monitor out of that connection, unlike standard monitor connections which do have the spare bandwidth for a second monitor via something like Matrox's DualHead2Go. If you're wondering the other things on the docking station work because they use tiny amounts of data in comparison.

So basically if you want a second monitor you need a second connection to the PC, either another USB to DVI adapter (either built into a docking station, built into a displayLink monitor or standalone) in another USB port on the laptops or a VGA cable into the laptops VGA port.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. ampersand

ampersand Member

Ratings:
    +0
  10. EndlessWaves

Ratings:
    +1,259
    I did a bit more research and it appears displayLink has advanced remarkably since it came out a few years ago so I must apologise for my previous post being based on out of date knowledge. There's a video here showing three(!) USB adapters connected to a hub and they are working. The movement is clearly jerky and uneven (far more so than when all three adapters and connected directly to the PC later in the video) but for stuff like spreadsheets and other uses where there's not much change on screen it should be perfectly adequate.

I also found out that the E4310 appears to have a Docking station connection. If this is the case then a Dell E-Port or E-Port Plus would give you the best results with dual monitors (or dual DVI monitors for the Plus), although of course it is much more expensive, being £150-175 rather than the £50 on the USB adapter.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. ampersand

ampersand Member

Ratings:
    +0
    EnlessWaves, I am very impressed with your reply! I want to thank you for your time and efforts. After seeing your post, I purchased Winstar Usb 2.0 To Dvi , Vga Or Hdmi Adapter * New * Up To 1400x1050 Pixel * External Videocard * Display Adapter * Windows 7 And Mac Os Support and waiting for delivery. I'll try to hook this up to my Targus dock which is kind of a usb hub anyway. I'll post my findings as soon as I get the delivery.

Dell docking is not ideal for me because I don't want to leave my desk and swap the laptops :) At the moment I just unhook one laptop and hook the other one.
  12. ampersand

ampersand Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi EndlessWaves,

Just wanted to update you. I received my Winstar this morning and hooked it up directly to targus and now I have two monitors!!! And everthing is connected to my laptop with only one USB :)

Even when I swap the laptops, everything comes up correctly!

Thanks for your help!
  13. EndlessWaves

Ratings:
    +1,259
    Glad that worked, how are you finding the quality of the motion on the displays?
  14. ampersand

ampersand Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's quite good actually, not perfect for watching a movie though :). I needed it for my work anyways, so I am very happy :)