1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acquiring French TV in the Yorkshire region

Discussion in 'Satellite TV' started by Kerandran, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Ghostleader

Ghostleader Active Member

Ratings:
    +307
    TNT have revised there smart card security & they no longer work in the Technomates, its upset alot of users who dont like the TNT receivers & have been forced to go back to using them.:thumbsdow
  2. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    That's put paid to that idea then!
  3. Kerandran

Kerandran Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After many weeks of absence from this site I have now got some progress:
    - First, I have had my aerial changed this past Friday against the best high quality aerial that can be found currently, and the result, well success, I can now receive all the channels that I could no longer receive.

Now, regarding the second point, concerning what satellite system I am going to go for, I have now made my mind up and have managed to get what I think is a good quote for a system that would best suite my needs. I am sorry for not having replied to my initial posting here, but it took absolutely ages for me to be able to see the person that I contacted back before Christmas, and because until two weeks ago, I still wasn't, sure of what would best suite my needs in terms satellite receiver and equipment. This is no longer the case. I basically explained what I needed, and discussed the various pros and cons regarding such system, based on the many replies that I got through my initial posting on AVForum. The technician that provided the quote also knew exactly what I required, and by seeing the location and orientation of the house was able to advise what I think may be the best of both worlds (in terms of options).

- Basically I was recommended a receiver with just two satellite HD receiver, a model from Technomate (as I wanted).
    - I was also convinced and ready to go for a system that did not have a third tuner, but since Technomate have released the new TM702 HD receiver (being the only Technomate with dual Satellite HD receiver, I still went for this model).

The new system that will be installed in my house on 5 March 2011 is going to be the following:
    - Technomate 7102 HD, with internal 500GB HDD
    - Force Frontier 55 cm Toroidal multi satellite dish
    - 4 twin LNBs for Atlantic Bird3, Hotbird, Astra1 and Astra2 (no additional viewing cards used initially, perhaps later, to get the HD channels).
    - A number of cables, plus setup of standard French channels on the receiver.
    - One of the LNBs will also be used for receiving UK channels in HD (in addition, or, as well as the HD terrestrial tuner).

I have corresponded with the technician by email for quite a while, however the decision was actually finalised after a face to face conversation, following an understanding of the requirements and possible technical difficulties including location and orientation of the house.

So, apologies again for not having consistently replied to postings.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2011
  4. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Welcome back - I've been expecting you back but didn't realise it was such a long time since you were last here.
    It was interesting to hear that a new aerial had improved Freeview reception so much. You said that your transmitter is Emley Moor and that doesn't get digital switchover until September, so you'll have a wait for the full range of channels, including the HD ones.
    The Techno should be an excellent choice.
    You've chosen to go a very long way, from 5W to 28E, and I'd normally say that was out of the quesiton on a 55cm, but that's a very pricey dish and as your man has presumably recommended it that will be fine too.
    You'll get all the free SD and HD UK channels on 28 of course, and on the others a lot of free non-UK channels, including a few HD ones.
    What package of French channels have you decided on, and have you checked how the card will go with the Techno?
    There shouldn't be any problem about the location as you can easily work out the possibilities at Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com.
    Do keep us in touch with developments - Logi.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2011
  5. northy124

northy124 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    What are you going with for French TV? Bis, Fransat or TNTSat? if you want English for English shows on TF1, M6 and Arte go TNTSat as Version Originale from Fransat sucks, no English which is a PITA if you don't like dubs, at least this is what I found when in France (Paris).
  6. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    ;)
  7. Kerandran

Kerandran Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Logiciel,

Well it took a long time to get the information, and I also had other projects in mind which meant that I had to join other forums to get the information that I required.

I forgot to mention that the dish is a fixed one, as opposed to a motorised one. For this particular setup, I am not immediately going to go for a particular package. Instead, I am going to go for the standard definition French channels that can be found as per the TNTsat package. I am aware that I may not be able to get the HD channels just as yet, but I aim to get them in the future with the addition of a package and / or a reading card. I must recuperate from the cost of this installation before I commit myself into getting a pre-paid package. The technician also told me that if in the future, I wanted to go for a package to receive French channels in HD, I would need to get a viewing card that works well with the Technomate receivers. Such card according the technician is a BIS cards via a BIS package.

Although the dish and the receiver are not exactly cheap, I think that I am getting a good deal, because if I were to order the equipment separately excluding the cost of the hard drive (which I am sure I could find cheaper), I could not have estimated the total cost to come anywhere near what I was quoted. Also, since the complete installation including the required channel tuning will cost me under £800, I think that this a pretty good deal. Especially knowing that I could not fit anything like that myself. To be honest, I had kind of estimating the total price of the installation to be in the region of £1500. So it was a piece of mind to find out that the cost was well below what I expected.

With regards to the other questions that you asked:

• I do not think that in my locality the digital switchover has fully taken place, as we are still able to view standard TV programs using the analogue tuner of the television.
    • I will only be able to get the Freeview HD channels with the Technomate HD Terrestrial Tuner, or be able to receive UK channels in HD with one of the satellite tuners. The chap that will do the installation will know on what "frequency" these channels can be received on.
    • My current TV and Freeview recorder only have standard Freeview tuners, and cannot decode Freeview HD channels. The TV however can "process" / display 1080p pictures.
    • I have the intention to be able to set the receiver to receive HD channels via the terrestrial tuner as well as the satellite tuner. If the satellite receiver can store a few hundred channel coordinates, this should not be a problem.
    • I will have to "play" with the receiver a bit to find out how to store new channels.
    • There are two regions of France that I am interested in for France 3, namely FR3 Isère and FR3 Bretagne, Pays de Loire.
    • Also since I would like to be able to listen to French radio as well, I have noticed that the "clear" radio channels are not listed on the same satellites that have the non-encrypted French channels.
    • I have noticed that someone mentioned that programs shown in VO (Version Originale), are better. I do not dispute this, in fact I do prefer this when it comes to movies, but when my friends or family are coming over from France, some of them have problems with having all the programs in English, and for that aspect it is better for them to be able to watch TV in French. This will also save me buying DVD and Blu Ray disc with French soundtracks on, as I have been doing very frequently from France and from sites selling DVD regions 1 discs. This is because DVD region 1, have nearly all of them the French soundtrack included on the discs, as region 1 includes USA and Canada. Basically region 1 DVD are cheaper than buying DVD region 2, or Blu Ray discs from France. I have to be very selective on this matter, and I still buy DVDs even though I have a blu ray player, because of the media price, and the soundtracks provided on the media. Although most individuals will say that all Blu Ray movies are sold with the French soundtrack on, this is not always true.
  8. northy124

northy124 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    You can get the HD channels on TNTSat... TF1 HD, France2 HD, Canal+ HD (for FTV programmes only), M6 HD and Arte HD.
    From what I understand BIS don't have HD yet so in a way you will be going from HD to SD... but the channels outweigh the HD as you get Film and dedicated sports channels (Orange Sport) unlike TNTSat
    This was me, well that sounds understandable :) you can still watch the English shows in English after they leave as you are going TNTSat route :)
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    Hi, welcome back, and thanks for the details.
    I don't see any French channels on 19E that are not encrypted, and that are not included in the TNTSAT subscription package. For both their SD and HD channels you will therefore require a card for the Techno.
    The Techno will give you the free satellite HD channels right away, and after your digital switchover the terrestrial tuner will give you some of those same HD channels. The Techno will automatically provide all the terrestrial channels and the viewing guide.
    You don't "set" the receiver to receive specifically HD or SD channels - it just gets them all.
    The Techno has a memory adequate for several thousand channels should you ever want to store that many.
    It will automatically scan the satellites to which you have your LNBs aligned, and store the channels it finds.
    You then get the option to select groups of Favourite Channels from among them.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
  10. Kerandran

Kerandran Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I must apologise here as, I have merely mentioned TNTSat as an example because I could not think of any other package at the time.
    Indeed as you say, if the BIS package does not have HD channels. I will have to look for another package that works well with the Technomate receiver and which has the French channels including some French movies in HD.

For your information, the channels that I am currently receiving in French are not all from France, but the majority are. Now that I have seen, what I can receive in terms of the range of channels available, I must say that I will be very tempted in the not too distant future, to go for a package. So little by little I am going to look at that aspect and find a package that would suite me best.
    Thank you for letting me know that BIS package cannot handle HD.

What do you recommend for a package. Orange seams OK, so does the Canal+ package. Perhaps if their card is not compatible with the Technomate receiver (an adapter CAM card may be used).

Now, about the channels that I am receiving in French (apology for not listing the TP numbers):

• France 2, on 5.0W Atlantic Bird
    • France 3, on 5.0W Atlantic Bird
    • France 5, on 5.0W Atlantic Bird
    • France O, on 5.0W Atlantic Bird
    • France 24, on 19.2E Astra 1
    • Arte, on 13.0E Hotbird
    • i>TV, on 19.2E Astra 1
    • NRJ Paris, on 5.0W Atlantic Bird
    • TMC, on 5.0W Atlantic Bird
    • Direct 8, on 13.0E Hotbird
    • BFM, on 13.0E Hotbird
    • Normandie TV, on 5.0W Atlantic Bird
    • Vosges Television, on 5.0W Atlantic Bird
    • TeleGrenoble Isere, on 5.0W Atlantic Bird
    • Mirabelle TV, on 5.0W Atlantic Bird
    • Montagne TV, on 19.2E Astra 1
    • Liberty TV Fr, on 19.2E Astra 1
    • Beur TV, on 13.0E Hotbird
    • Telesud, on 13.0E Hotbird
    • Euronews, on 13.0E Hotbird
    • Canal Algerie, on 13.0E Hotbird
    • TV5Monde, on 19.2E Astra 1
    • LCP, on 5.0W Atlantic Bird
    • KTO, on 5.0W Atlantic Bird
    I must also say that the picture quality of the technomate 7102 HD is extremely good. Perhaps, one of the things I reproach the equipment is the following:
    Because the first point of entry for the terrestrial aerial is into the satellite receiver, and the aerial out is going to a Sony Freeview HDD/DVD recorder, and then to the television aerial in connector, if the satellite receiver is switched off, the aerial signal deteriorates to the point that the channels that were received properly after the aerial change, have started to become weak again and reception on the Freeview recorder and / or television have started to suffer again. However, when the satellite receiver is switched on, the other devices using the aerial are receiving the terrestrial "signal" properly. So, it is a no-win situation, but it means that if I want to watch normal TV, via the television, or the Freeview recorder, which I may well want to do, I must ensure that the technomate receiver is on, even if I am not going to use the satellite receiver. The alternative would be to contact those technicians who installed the aerial and have them put yet one more aerial cable, so as to have two separate aerial connections into the living room. So I am going to do away with the alternative for the time being, and live with this little inconvenience.

The next thing I need to do is to set up the radio channels, I hope that I got the right LNBs for this. I will have to refer back to the listings of KingOfSat for this.
  11. logiciel

logiciel Moderator

Ratings:
    +4,418
    So, you've had the installation completed!
    Thank you for the helpful details of the channels you're seeing - they're clear without the need for TP numbers.
    It looks like 5W is your best option, closely followed by 13E, and you already have a good range of free channels.
    You have a wide choice for sets of subscription channels, such as BIS, Fransat, Orange, and Telesat, so your next step will be to find a supplier for their cards.
    As you already have both a Freeview TV and a Freeview recorder, surely you have very little use for the Techno's terrestrial tuner and you could take out its aerial connection altogether.
    However, whether you want two, or all three, terrestrial tuners then it would be better to replace the loopthrough cables with an amplified aerial splitter, so that each could have its direct connection.
    Splitters are quite simple devices that you can get anywhere, like this: 3-Way Splitter Amplifier.
    All the radio channels should be there already, waiting for you to select them with the TV/Radio button.
    They come in exactly the same way as the TV channels, without any different LNB or anything else.
    With so many channels available, both TV and radio, you'll be wanting to make full use of the Techno's favourite channels option, so let us know if you want any ideas about that.
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2011