Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer Windows 7 upgrade

Discussion in 'Computer Software & Operating Systems' started by owlzen, Nov 10, 2009.

1. owlzen

owlzen Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Help! I purchased an Acer Aspire 5735 laptop a couple of months ago pre-loaded with Vista. According to Acer's UK website the model is eligible for a "free" upgrade to Windows 7. I duly submitted an application through a third party company Acer are employing to distribute the software Mentor Media. I had to pay £12.78 for the shipping (I later discovered they ship from the Czech Republic). My application was approved as the model number and date of purchase were within their parameters. The disc arrived a few days ago but when trying to install, it asks for the model number via a drop down box. There is no sign of the Aspire 5735!

I fired off an e-mail to Acer's technical support and they have told me that the 5735 is not on the list of eligible machines. Yet it is clearly shown on their website as an eligible machine. I have today rung their technical support and they have confirmed that it IS on the list but that I would have to take the matter up with the third part company Mentor Media as they have no solution, but they could not give me an e-mail address. If nothing else I want to get my money back and ask them to explain why this has been mis sold. As they are based in Czech Republic, the cost of a phone call is going to be prohibitive.

Having done some digging on this Acer deal, it seems that they are a lot of issues with Mentor Media not shipping discs etc etc.

Has anyone encountered this problem already or come across a solution?? I think I have been well & truly ripped off unless I can get the discs to work on my machine.
  2. DevonTony

DevonTony Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Couldn't you just download the windows 7 version you want and then use your key to validate the copy after installation? Surely the key cannot be tied to your particular DVD copy. The discs can be used as either an upgrade or a clean install version, or maybe i am missing something. :)
  3. Urien Rheged

Urien Rheged Active Member

Ratings:
    +527
    I have a Acer Aspire 7535G and used the upgrade disk to update to Windows 7. I have also used the same disk to upgrade my partner's Acer 5315 which is not listed as an eligible model on the Acer website.

Don't use the Acer upgrade manager software thats on one of the disks with the drivers, just boot from the disk that has Windows 7 on it. That way it will not ask you what model Acer you have. Then downlaod all the Windows updates before registering the copy of Windows. Also be wary of installing the Acer drivers as some of them messed up Windows 7 for us, e.g. graphics card drivers. I had to get a Windows 7 Beta driver direct from ATI in the end to make it work properly.
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2009
  4. pembssurf

pembssurf New Member

Ratings:
    +10
    had no problems here with aformetioned company...took 14 days from purchase...installed fine on same laptop...just didnt use second disc that contains the drivers..windows 7 will find all the drivers anyway....the disk they send you actually contains a full windows 7 install anyway so its not a problem!
  5. neilneil

neilneil Member

Ratings:
    +42
    I got my upgrade from mentor media about 2 weeks after release of windows 7
    It's a 5738Z laptop and the disk recognised the machine as 5738 I ignored all the upgrade stuff and did a full install. It all worked fine.

Firstly make some backup discs especially the vista OS backup just in case you scramble your OS and Windows 7 doesn't work.

Then, try a full install and let windows work out what hardware you have. You then might have to go searching for specific manufacturer updated drivers which can be tricky when you don't know exactly what hardware acer has put in your laptop.

Best of luck

-Neil
  6. Beneve2008

Beneve2008 Member

Ratings:
    +36
    Hi Neil,

Im considering buying this Acer for my daughter, she will only use it for Interweb & Word ect. Is this a good buy in your opinion. Is yours the 160gb or 250?

Any feedback would be great, i have researched the Mentor media site when i get the laptop and all seems straight forward.

Many thanks in advance.
    bene
  7. neilneil

neilneil Member

Ratings:
    +42
    I got the 250Gb model from Tescos on an offer. It is my first laptop so I don't have much to compare it with. However, I am very pleased with it so far. The keyboard seems easy to use, and the screen is good but shiny. I am used to PCs so it's not quite as fast but it runs Win 7, Firefox and open office without any problems at all. The only disappointment is the track pad is not as good as ones I've seen on mac books but then they are much more expensive machines.

-Neil
  8. peirre t

peirre t Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I purchased an Acer laptop 3 weeks ago and immediately ordered the windows 7 upgrade. I received an e mail form mentor media 7 days ago saying it had been despatched..i am still waiting. Has anyone any knowlege of where MM are shipping windows 7 from. I find it unacceptable that something so simple as posting a package is taking so long.
  9. jasper1

jasper1 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    Hi

I bought two Acer laptops in the last three months (one for myself and one for my daughter for uni) and so ended up ordering two separate Windows 7 upgrades. The one package with her upgrade (ordered last) arrived before I even got the email saying it had been dispatched. So it was totally unexpected.

My upgrade package (ordered a month before hers) arrived about two weeks after the email saying it had been dispatched so goodness knows how they are sending these out. I was actually beginning to think mine had been lost just as it hit the door mat.

Hopefully yours should show up soon.
  10. peirre t

peirre t Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Jasper. I just find it so frustrating that a company like Microsoft appear to have sub contracted the distribution of their Windows 7 to such an inefficient company. I have since sent a message to MM and got a electrocically generated reply that they will reply in 10 days!!!!.
    I am not sure if the installation of windows 7 is a clean install so I have brand new laptop with Vista OS with no software on it that I am reluctant to use because I will have to uninstall everything when windows 7 arrives. I might be wrong so perhaps someone can enlighten me.
    Peter T
  11. jasper1

jasper1 Member

Ratings:
    +13
    I was in the same boat as you regarding installing software etc, so I just installed that which I could not do without (like office) for the time being.

When I got my upgrade kit their were two disks, one an upgrade manager disk (your supposed to put this in first) which guides you through the upgrade process and contains drivers etc. I think upgrading this way keeps all your files and settings etc.

During the process you have to choose your Acer model from a drop down menu. My model was not in the list (of course :( ). I went to the Acer site and they said if your laptop was not in the list then you had to disregard the upgrade disk and just do a clean install from the windows 7 disk then manually reinstall drivers etc.

I first backed up everything I needed to an external hard drive and then did the clean install, reinstalled my software etc.

What I then discovered was during the windows 7 install it makes a Window.old folder on your laptop and backs up everything anyway. I was able to go to that folder to move stuff back to where it was before.

All in all only took a couple of hours to get my laptop back to where it was.

Hope your disks arrive soon and all goes well for you.
  12. peirre t

peirre t Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Jasper...Still waiting for my upgrade though.
  13. jonnowilson

jonnowilson Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there

I have bought an Acer Aspire 5536 from Ebuyer and I am now awaiting my upgrade disk, I have been waiting 1 week, however now Windows 7 has been out for a month or so I would have hoped for a quicker dispatch? What do you guys think?

I havent had a dispatch email yet

Getting frustrating now
  14. AsherC

AsherC Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    How is upgrading different to just putting a full windows 7 install on the machine?
    I'm asking because when i installed the RC on an old laptop I lost all the manufacturers software (HP Zone, etc), will an upgrade keep the manufacturers programs?

Thanks
  15. shug119

shug119 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    I orderd the upgrade on 13 Setember. have still not got it.
    Have sent lots of e-mails to the company dealing with it, but cant get any joy of them. Any help welcomed.
    Cheer Shug.
  16. echrada

echrada New Member

Ratings:
    +318
    If it is compatible with Windows 7 it should be there when the upgrade completes - if not you will have to go to the manufacturer website and download the software you want - but why would you want all the bumf?
  17. Stewart94

Stewart94 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I bought an acer 5738z laptop from Comet on 18th Novemebr and oredered the upgrade disk from mentomedia the same day. It was supposedlu despatched on 9th December but still not here. Comet told me it had been despactched again?? on 13th January but still no sign of it.
    Has anoyone any idea how I can chase it on. Am getting nowhere with Comet and mentormedia do not reply.
    Thank you.
  18. Andy T B

Andy T B Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Owlzen,

I have exactly the same problem. Did you get it resolved ? Mentor Media (Singapore) haven't got back to me yet and I'm copying SimplyAcer, Acer Support on all correspondence. It seems as if Acer are washing their hands of the issue which is simple, why is the 5735 not on the Acer W7 Driver disk ?

Andy
  19. Stewart94

Stewart94 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I finally got the disk from Mentor Media 5 days ago, that is 3 months since I bought the laptop and paid for the upgrade.
    I bought the laptop from Comet and our trading standards office confirmed to me that my contract was with them.
    Consequently I sent them a recorded delivery letter quoting the sale of goods act and gave them 14 days to supply the disk or give me my money back.
    The disk came on the 13th day.
  20. Blotch

Blotch Member

Ratings:
    +61
    Excellent - that's the way to do it! :smashin: