Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Acer aspire one - touchpad problem

Discussion in 'Laptops & Netbooks' started by poopenfol, Sep 12, 2008.

1. poopenfol

poopenfol Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Got myself an acer aspire one 1gb, 120hdd, linux flavour, and put xp pro on it.
    Everything works fine, except the touchpad - all functions work except scrolling pages back up. It'll happily scroll down, just not back up again. Ive gone through the settings, but cant seem to fix this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2008
  2. huxley

huxley Member

Ratings:
    +40
  3. poopenfol

poopenfol Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The problem seems to be with Google Chrome
  4. huxley

huxley Member

Ratings:
    +40
    Oh I`ve not had the free time to have a play with the google browser yet, maybe I`ll give it a miss - faults as well as google owning everything you post and look at on the net.
  5. zircon3035

zircon3035 Member

Ratings:
    +104
    My Aspire 1702 did something very similar: it seemed to be the snap-on bezel around the touch pad was pinching the pad itself. I prised the bezel off carefully, lifted the pad out, blew out the bits of fluff and Doritos and put it back together again, making sure that the bezel did not trap the edges of the pad.

No problems since.

HTH,

Ian
  6. poopenfol

poopenfol Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ive gone back to IE7 and it seems fine now
  7. huxley

huxley Member

Ratings:
    +40
    tested chrome on mine and it worked fine - duff installer maybe?
  8. poopenfol

poopenfol Member

Ratings:
    +0

Did it?
    Now that im all up and running ok i wont bother going back to Chrome - nice idea but dont like the fact that they 'own' everything you post, etc..
  9. zdene962

zdene962 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My touch pad and right and left click stopped working. I tried rebooting several times and everything else I tried didn't fix the problem. On a hunch, I removed the battery pack, waited 30 seconds and put the battery back in. This fixed it.

Give it a try.
  10. Franasia

Franasia Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Fn + F7 will disable/enable the touchpad ... reading manual is highly recommended. :D

Cheers
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Arnaud Filip

Arnaud Filip Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My touchpad stopped working on my Acer Aspire One AOD running Windows XP. It was not the Fn-F7 setting. I solved the problem by touching the USB port while the computer was plugged into the power with the battery attached. There was some kind of electrical short causing the touchpad to not work. When I caused a short with my finger, the touchpad came back to life. After a reboot it worked fine. Check Windows System Information, under Components/Input/Pointing Device, you will see the Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad. It will show an error under status. Before I discovered the solution by accident, I tried many things: deleted and reinstalled the synaptics driver, contacted Acer support, toggling Fn-F7, shutting off and removing the battery pack for 1 minute, reinstalling the synaptic drive from the acer erecovery CD, going back to a windows restore point, and booting up in Winxp Safe mode and even clearing out the Flea power (taking off the battery and holding down the on button for a minute). I am posting to this forum in the hope that my time spent on this problem helps someone else.
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  12. unclvito

unclvito Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My touchpad on the Aspire One died after installing the AT&T wireless USB device. I was getting a yellow exclamation over the mouse in device manager and it said the device could not be started.:suicide:

Check this:
    Answer Center | AT&T

I reinstalled my mouse driver and it works fine.

Good luck all!
    -Matt Lagrotte
  13. berszi

berszi Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for you! If I didn't try first your "finger solution", may be my touchpad will never work.
    berszi
    from hungary
  14. chuckk

chuckk Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the same problem as some of you. The left side of my touchpad button would not respond, but the right would respond. In the end, after doing just about everything including upgrading the driver, the following trick worked. Pick up you Aspire One, and, holding it open and flat (screen is 180 degrees to keyboard) so that the keyboard is 90 degrees to the floor and the screen is below it, tap the touchpad. You may hear a tell-tale tinkling sound of poor quality control. Somewhere in my laptop is a loose piece of plastic or metal that prevented the touchpad button from making contact. Give it a try. It would also explain why other solutions work, since they often involve moving the laptop around, possibly dislodging a loose particle.
  15. MommyJen

MommyJen Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new acer aspire one, and when i use the touchpad, as I slide my finger across, the arrow turns into a gray circle, with a design in the middle and stops, til i slow down or press harder, or just do something different. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I assume this is some shortcut or something, but I can't figure it out and would really like to get rid of this function and just use the touchpad normally. Any ideas?