Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Accessing Humax 9150 hard disk

Discussion in 'PVRs' started by yakboyuk, Jan 17, 2009.

1. yakboyuk

yakboyuk Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Is it possible to connect my Humax PVR to my PC via the RS232 and download from the PVR to PC so I can burn them onto DVD? and if so do I need software to read the hard disk or does it read like a normal hard disk?
  2. yakboyuk

yakboyuk Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Anybody??? A similar question has just been posed below but not in relation to the RS232 port
  3. nvingo

nvingo Active Member

Ratings:
    +340
    The RS232 standard at max 115200 Bps is WAY to slow to transfer large files like recordings. It is purely there as a means to update the firmware.
    The PVR9200 has a USB port which runs at below USB1.1 max speed and takes almost the running time of the programme to transfer, but this can be used whilst the PVR performs other tasks.

The only way(s) to transfer from the PVR9150 are likely to be, to remove the HDD and connect to a PCs SATA (HDD) port, or to fit an adapter in the PVR which gives a USB socket that the PC can connect to, and transfer WHILST THE PVR IS IN STANDBY. Special software (available currently for the PVR9200, but likely to be adapted to the 9150/9300) is required to access the HDD - files will not be visible to a Windows OS.
  4. yakboyuk

yakboyuk Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply Nvingo..sounds a bit too complicated for my limited skills. may have to plug it to the PC via a capture card and output via the scart
  5. Hal_loe

Hal_loe Member

Ratings:
    +141
    Hi

If you were interested in burning to DVD then the 9200 would have been a better choice as transfer is possible via USB.

However when I bought my PVR 3 years ago the transfer via USB wasn't 100% reliable. The USB has even been removed from the 9300. So I opted for the Topfield 5800 which has much better support via is UK users forum.

There might be help on reading the Humax 9150 HDD available on the Humax forums. (I expect it is not a standard Windows format HDD)

The RS232 is usually used for firmware updates.

Hope that helps.