1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A note for those who ask about headphones and amps

Discussion in 'Headphones & Portable Music' started by StevieDvd, Feb 9, 2006.

1. StevieDvd

StevieDvd Member

Ratings:
    +156
    Based on some personal experience and many discussions with more experienced audio nutters (audiophiles) here's my observations for your reading pleasure.

What headphones should I get and do I need a headphone amplifier?

I'd say you need to sort out a few choices first.

When people say you need an amp it's for two basic reasons:

1. Headphones like the Senn HD650s are difficult to drive and should be used with a headphone amp to get the best from them. Otherwise they can seem a little lack lustre for the price. Grado headphones are much easier to drive so don't have to have an amp as much.

2. Quality & detail. Here's the bit where the big arguments start. It is said that most hi-fi equipment (except the really high-end stuff) is designed for speaker usage and the components in the headphone circuit are built to too low a cost price. This is where the headphone amps jump in, from the cheap cmoy, which is about a dozen or so cheap components, up to the big huge tube amps costing thousands.

Those points aside it's down to you, your preference in music and your ability to hear the small differences.

*** Night & Day differences quoted by some audiophiles are sometimes just an improvement of a few percent. There is no standard definition ***

Grado are usually the rock lover's choice, can tend to be a little harsh in the treble regions and are bought for the sound not the look or build. Unless you go up to the higher models the cheaper end are quite plastic. The foam pads are also a big bone of contention, until they are settled in they feel like sandpaper and you won't be able to wear them for extended periods - called the Grado burn. If you like rock then you could get these and add a good amp later when the budget builds up. Now comes the UK price shock. The prices are fixed in each region and Grado authorised sellers are not supposed to sell outside their area. What may cost $200 in the US could cost £300 in the UK - compare UK and US price of the SR325i for example. There is another company that sells tweaked version of Grado - called Alessandro - who do sell abroad. You could get say the Alessandro MS2i (equivalent of SR325i) from the US, ship it over and pay the customs and still be cheaper than the official SR325i price here by a large amount.

Senn HD650s as a choice of headphone would be fine by most people who have a mixed choice of musical tastes or veer towards classical. However, that takes most of your budget, as they are around £230 new in the UK. OK you could get a cheap amp to tide you over but to appreciate the money invested in the HD650s that's where the good amp is needed.

If you can see my details at the bottom of the post or have seen my previous postings I have both Senn and Grado cans and have gone through the cheap amp route to higher end ones. Going that way costs a lot more and I never planned to spend that sort of money when I started.

OK Senn and Grado are not the only choices but they are probably the main ones used by audiophiles over at head-fi. You can check out Beyerdynamic, AKG and Sony as well.

So the gist of all this rather than trying to confuse matters is that you need to get an idea, which camp you fall in to.

Grado your style - then get one of the better models and save for a good amp.

Senns your style - harder choice as you'll need to spend more up front for the amp & headphones, or cheaper amp to tide you over.

I've had a few members of head-fi and avforums round trying out my equipment and it certainly helps to get the chance if you can do something like this before committing yourself.

Steve
    • Thanks Thanks x 16
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Reano

Reano Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Great post. I started off about 10 years ago with a nice midi hifi from Comet (or some similar place) and never expected or wanted to spend as much as I have but as you move up the range you find that you really have been missing out a lot so try and save yourself a lot of bother and go for as good a quality as you can afford.

A little note on 'subjectiveness' as a lot of people say. People normally say make sure you listen for yourself, etc and this is true but remember most people are like each other than they are different. Thats why you can have standard eye tests and they suit nearly all people. You have standard ear tests and they suit nearly all people. Thats why doctors, car manufacturers, food manufacturers can test a sample of something on a few people and can with reasonable accuracy know it will work with 'nearly' all people. So a few people may say try the Sennheiser HD600 with so and so amp. Don't think well I have these cheap pair of saniela (hopefully not a real name) and I bet they sound as good as the Senn's, cause they won't (you would be extremely fortunate for them too).

In my job I do a lot of performance measurement and testing against users 'preceived view of quality' and in nearly all cases peoples perceptions are very similar. So don't think that you are too unique (you are not I'm sorry :smashin: ). You may have different fingerprints but your ears, eyes, etc are built to do the same job and in reality work pretty much the same. Think about it if you believe in evolution then you accept the concept that things evolve to a 'norm' 'species' If you believe in special creation then it's exactly the same people created to a model. 'In most cases you buy cheap you buy twice' and other similar quotes are used for a reason.

Sorry for the preaching :lease:
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. NicolasB

NicolasB Active Member

Ratings:
    +573
    I own a pretty respectable headphone amp (see signature) but even I think their necessity is often exaggerated. Even 'phones like the HD650 generally do not need a headphone amp, unless the device you're listening to is deliberately designed to throttle the power output of the headphone socket. In practice, that usually means "unless the device is designed to run off batteries rather than the mains". They may sound better with a headphone amp - but that's because (as already mentioned) most designed-for-speakers amplifiers have headphone stages that cost about 50 pence - the cheapest of cheap op amp chips or in some cases just a simple resistor placed across the speaker outputs.

Some devices, of course, do actually have quite good headphone output. You should always audition a headphone amp against your current kit before buying: it may actually not sound any better. And, even if it does, the chances are that you will get a much larger increase in sound quality by taking the money and using it to buy a better pair of headphones or a better CD player instead.

If you're flush, consider a Benchmark DAC-1, which has a respectable built-in headphone stage, and which sells for $875 in the US but (according to some people who have owned both) outperforms CD players with five-figure price tags.

If you're after some fairly high-end 'phones, some alternatives to Grado and Sennheiser might be:

- Beyerdynamic DT-880

- AKG K-1000 (which are designed to be connected directly to the loudspeaker output terminals of a conventional power-amp).

- An electrostatic system, such as one of those made by Stax. At first glance these seem very expensive because of the cost of the "energiser" driving electronics, but if you compare the price of the whole system to the price of conventional ("dynamic") headphones plus a decent headphone amp, they're not bad value at all.
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
  4. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy Member

Ratings:
    +66
    I'm not one for night and day differences, but the difference if getting more or less exactly what you want and something which leaves you itching for an upgrade can be a few percent.

The Sennheiser Orpheus for example isn't that much of a leap upwards in terms of sound quality from some other headphones I have. I have cheaper headphones which probably have higher precision. It's just the way that every component of sound comes together that makes it a great headphone. Tonality, quality, staging, etc are pretty much perfectly judged and these are things which you can find in other phones. I'd say these are 'few percent' changes. Yet you'll find even people who aren't audiophiles saying "that sounds really nice". The few percent does make a difference once you're focused on the sound. The key is which few percent you choose to spend your money on.
  5. Reano

Reano Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Hi Nicholas, Good post. One point that this thread started off with is about "Headphones AND amps" Not just headphone amps. There is the law of diminishing returns as extremelydodgy <----- what a name :D is pointing out. You may start off with some freebie phones, then you buy something for &#163;30, then &#163;100, then &#163;300, etc the leap in sound quality gets less and less but there is some and it's at what point you think enough is enough 'this is good enough'. I also replied to a post about a guy who was asking about his Marantz headphone out and I told him probably best to stick with that unless he wanted to spend a lot of money just to hear a 'reasonable' sound improvement.

Note we are not saying in 'all cases' a headphone amp or higher costing headphones will suit. I have listened to the Beyer (I think the 990 can't remember) and thought the Grado and Senn's were better. Note if you go to headfi my rig of RS1 and Gracie m902 is considered by some as sort of 'middle' hifi loler :D and to them it is!!!! I have got to my 'enough point' (or have I read my signature)

Also if you look at another thread I have started I am actually putting a challenge out for people to better some headphones that cost &#163;17.49! As I think they are very good.

I actually think the project headbox sounds better and was more practical than the more expensive musical fidelity v3 head amp I brought so I sold the MF V3 I used to use for my main rig.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. StevieDvd

StevieDvd Member

Ratings:
    +156
    Some good points being added, so hopefully this will be an informative thread for anyone searching.

The trick as has been stated is to find your magic point, where any further upgrades (which may be better) are lost on you or simply way outside your budget.

Having listed to some real high-end setups at a headfi meet I realised that I'd not be likely to go to that expense unless I won the lottery.

However, there were a few there who did realise that a setup they did appreciate was withing budget but they had been trying to pare back the cost too much and ended up wasting more than they saved.

If I had the magic setup for all I'd open up the shop and sell it.
  7. NicolasB

NicolasB Active Member

Ratings:
    +573
    Um... well, yeah, relatively few people can afford to spend £10,000 on headphones. But, having said that, I think the difference in quality up to about the £200 mark is actually very large. There is a big jump going from £20 'phones to £40 'phones (e.g. Beyerdynamic DT-231), another big jump going to £60 'phones (like Grado SR-60). And there's an even larger jump in quality between them and something like the Sennheiser HD580, which can be had for £100. I was actually surprised by just how large a jump in quality there is between The Sennheiser HD600 and HD650. I was expecting the difference to be barely noticeable, but actually it's enough to make me immediately say "oh wow, that's good!" the first time I put them on.

From that point upwards I think you start to hit diminishing returns territory: the difference in quality between a £2,500 Stax system and a £10,000 Sennheiser Orpheus system is perceptible, but not dramatic.

I do think there's a rather unhealthy obsession with headphone amps on this forum. I always feel sad when someone decides to buy a £60 pair of headphones with a £150 headphone amp instead of £200 headphones with no amp - that latter would (IMO) sound dramatically much better than the former in most setups. Even if you can afford good 'phones and a good amp, you'll still quite possibly get much more of an improvement in sound quality by spending a few hundred quid upgrading your CD player than you would by spending it on a headphone amp.

Much the same is true of a speaker system, of course: the speakers make more difference to the sound quality than anything else, next is (arguably) the source (e.g. CD player) then the pre-amp, and the power amp the least of all, so long as it is actually capable of delivering enough power to avoid clipping. People will insist on spending all of their money bi-amping instead of single-amping with better quality speakers, and the sound quality invariably suffers as a result.

Then, of course, there's the people who spend more money on the cables than they do on the components.... :rolleyes:
    • Thanks Thanks x 5
  8. Reano

Reano Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Not sure I agree with what your saying. I must say I do agree with extremelydoddgy and Steve but not sure I do with some of your statements here's why

"The Sennheiser HD600 and HD650. I was expecting the difference to be barely noticeable, but actually it's enough to make me immediately say "oh wow, that's good!" the first time I put them on."

I have both of these and the difference between them in my opnion is not that big. But for you it's enough. However the Grado's which go past your £200 point is considerably better. I did the wife test :D HD600 - HD650 not really that much difference she said, Grado RS1 "Oh yeah thats better" she is a musician so not saying she doesn't know music or anything :rolleyes: Note all hifi mags that I have read that reviewed them thought there was minor improvements.

"I do think there's a rather unhealthy 'obsession' with headphone amps on this forum." Emphasis added

I had to laugh at this one I hardly see many people on this forum ---> Head-fi is where you need to see obsession and they admit it too.... Like mentioned before if someone likes the cd out and in a particular case some of the Marantz I know have good headphone outs from their CD player I suggest to people stay put.

"I always feel sad when someone decides to buy a £60 pair of headphones with a £150 headphone
    amp instead of £200 headphones with no amp - that latter would (IMO) sound dramatically much
    better than the former in most setups."

Really? I would say a combo of Grado 80 at say £75 from eBay with musical fidelity amp V2 (upgraded tubes) would beat new pair of HD600 with no amp. I assume here that the headphone out of the CD player is not being considered. So why feel sad. I even ask people where possible to go and listen to the recommendations and see what they feel (just like you would). People can make their own minds up. A bit like when I say get a portable amp if mp3 player used heavily for work.

"Even if you can afford good 'phones and a good amp, you'll still quite possibly get much more of an improvement in sound quality by spending a few hundred quid upgrading your CD player than you would by spending it on a headphone amp."

Of course you might but then you might not. This can be said for everything even for headphones and headphone amps :rotfl:

"Much the same is true of a speaker system, of course: the speakers make more difference to the sound quality than anything else," Then why don't headphones? As they are doing the same job delivering sound to your ears?

Once again there are diminshing returns here and also I have changed the source to vinyl on some occasions and it sounds better than a speaker change of several hundred pounds more. I see you have the good old B&W speakers several thousand pounds and I assume you are happy with those. Someone may say well I think some Kef iq9 are fine for me..

"Then, of course, there's the people who spend more money on the cables than they do on the components.... "

Oh dear glad this isn't me but I have been in people's houses that have a very good home cinema setup and have had an extension built where all the cables are run through the walls, the mains are on a seperate ring, etc and they cost more than the components hmmm :rolleyes: . The cables were not those £100's a metre jobbies either.

Very strange your post, as Steve is saying if you want to buy headphone amp and phones consider these things. He is not saying you MUST buy them.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. HighlandeR

HighlandeR Member

Ratings:
    +5
    My newbie thoughts, this can easily turn into a very addictive and expensive hobby ! So be warned !:eek:

I recently heard my m8s Senns HD595s, and ended up £350 short this week, got the Senns HD595s and a Nad Stereo C352 amp.

The headphone outs ok but tbh im still comtemplating if all this was worth it, the sound quality from the Nad Amp is good but oddly the output from the X-fi soundcard is perhaps better ! Im finding the vocals more natural and the instruments are more evident, the mids are mucky or not there with the Nad headphone output...

My old sherwood RDS 6095 AV amp was even better and I sold that for 50 quid lol :(

So theres some definate truth that maybe headphone jacks on amps arent as good as they could be certainly im wondering if I should have spent £250-400 on a good headphone amp now....

Also debating the Senn HD595s also! there open and bit noisy im finding I dont want family listening on me @ 3am while im either gaming/watching my scifi/music.....

Im just glad Richer sounds got a 14 day policy if anything;)

Just goes to show it can be a long and expensive hobby, right now id love to go back to my wireless headphones that cost £40 and sounded "pretty bad" in comparision but hey there wireless and vocals were good! What im saying is listen to your ears but remember its not always about the having the best/ultimate setup......
  10. TameRacingDriver

TameRacingDriver Member

Ratings:
    +259
    Right, here is my 2p worth on the whole thing.

This is a complex issue IMO. Nothing is ever straightforward when it comes to headphones.

You have, by and large, 2 types of headphones - low impedance and high impedance. This basically means resistance in more simple terms. The higher the resistance, the more voltage (watts) is needed to drive them to a given volume.

This is why high impedance headphones, such as Beyerdynamic and Sennheiser often (but not always) require amps - if I try driving my Beyerdynamic DT531 from my ipod without an amp, the result is poor - not much volume, and the sound is weak and lifeless.

Now, a headphone with a lower resistance, for example, Grado, Sony and most portable solutions (like IEMs) can be much more easily driven, because its need for power is less.

So that in a nutshell is why you sometimes need an amp.

However, it does not end there :rolleyes:

A lot of people talk of using integrated amps, and say that they often sound crap in comparison to a dedicated headphone amp. Again, IMHO, this is not always true. However this is dependant on the amp used (the circuitry in some amps is better than others), and also the headphones used.

In most integrated amps or receivers, an output is taken straight from the power amp section and is then "scaled down" using a resistor - it has to otherwise the power will blow the headphone drivers, and your skull is not meant to have drivers as permanent protruding features!

Now remembering that impedance = resistance, what does it mean therefore to add a resistor in the signal path? Yes thats correct, the effective impedance of the headphones actually increases - and this itself causes the damping factor of the amp to decrease.

So in effect what happens is, if you have a 120 ohm resistor in the signal path, then a pair of 250 ohm headphones effectively becomes 370 ohms (250 + 120). However, a 32 ohm pair of headphones effectively becomes 152 ohms (32 + 120).

What happens when the impedance of headphones is changed is it changes the sound of the headphones - and unless the headphones are designed for it, not always / usually for the better. The usual effect tends to be that the bass in particular is often increased in output (hence many noticing integrated sounding bassier than dedicated amps), but also a decrease in clarity and a loss of detail also occurs.

Now in my experience, high impedance headphones are quite often not as badly affected by this as low impedance ones are - if you have 300 ohm headphones then add a 120 ohm resistor, the increase in resistance is something in the region of 40% or so. However, if you have a 32 ohm phone, the increase in resistance would be more like 400%. So you can see that this is bound to have a much more profound effect on the sound.

Therefore, another advantage to a headphone amp over an integrated jack is the headphone amp is actually like a minituarised speaker amp dedicated for headphone use, and as such, the output impedance is close to 0 ohms, resulting in a more uncoloured sound, with all of the detail and clarity the headphones can provide. In this respect, despite the fact the integrated likely has more power to throw at the headphones than a headphone amp will, easier to drive headphones can often benefit more from being given a dedicated amp over using an integrated.

In my experience, low impedance phones sound very poor from most integrated amp headphone jacks. Higher impedance ones can often sound little different and in some cases, some users prefer the sound as it can be more fleshed out and less clinical (again depends on the headphones).

So, to summarise, IMO a good headphone amp is always optimal for driving ANY headphone, but the improvement can range from miniscule to dramatic depending on the headphones and other equipment used. If I was to sum it up I would say:

Low impedance headphones = can often be used directly from the source; headphone amps sometimes dont yield much improvement over direct from source sound; often sound muddy on integrateds...

High impedance headphones = usually cannot be used directly from the source; headphone amps provide much need volume and power; can usually be used on integrated without problem - but may (or may not sound better) with a dedicated amp.

@Highlander - I dont know if you followed my post - but for the reasons above I am not surprised the soundcard sounds better - the HD595 are if I remember correctly fairly low impedance, and the X-Fi has dedicated headphone op-amps so it effectively has a small dedicated headphone amp on it. The NAD will probably sound muddier.
    • Thanks Thanks x 10
  11. HighlandeR

HighlandeR Member

Ratings:
    +5
    Well that explains alot ! wish I knew that before splashing out on a nad stereo amp/

I was gonna say the X-fi output is quite good is that directly from the soundcard or the X-fi front box panel ?

Im using the front panel headphone input....
  12. TameRacingDriver

TameRacingDriver Member

Ratings:
    +259
    I dont know the soundcard, but I suspect the front panel is fine mate :)
  13. HighlandeR

HighlandeR Member

Ratings:
    +5
  14. shadowritten

shadowritten Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm inclined (as a fellow newbie to the baffling word of headphones), to agree about loving cans that are relatively cheap and dirty. Much as I've adored my two pairs of AKGs (the mini K26 P was a big step up from my Sony MDR-J20; my new K81 DJ make my Sony MDR-V300 sound as bad as they look!), I've yet to hear a pair of wired phones that sound - to me, at least - as satisfying as my RF wireless Sony TMR-RF850R ... albeit on a good day, when the FM signal is spot on! But like I say, I'm new at this. Give it time and I'm sure I'll make some wonderful discoveries. :)
  15. shadowritten

shadowritten Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Cracking post, pbirkett! Thanks for the summary!
  16. HighlandeR

HighlandeR Member

Ratings:
    +5
    I will have to decide by next weekend if my new kit is keeper or not, but its difficult can tell you that ive tripped over this wire few times and im sure ill proberly end up breaking my neck:rolleyes:

Wireless cans might not be on the same level but yeah was a certain charm to having closed back wireless headphones... not to mention there not disturbing others and u can roam free/Might not sound as good but then again if your just watching some film/tv and the odd music sessions.....
  17. TameRacingDriver

TameRacingDriver Member

Ratings:
    +259
    Trust me chaps, when you find the right corded headphone combo for you, as I have for me, you'll be truly astounded about how good they sound.

Slightly OT, but if you ever get the chance to mate some Beyer DT531s with an ANT Amber, DO IT! ;)
  18. alexs2

alexs2 Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,709
    Probably a good time to make this a sticky,so that anyone entering the forum can make use of it....thanks to all for the excellent input,and obviously any other contributions I am sure will be welcome....thanks to StevieDVD for starting it.
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Reano

Reano Active Member

Ratings:
    +54
    Also if you buy headphones/amps because of a recommendation please leave a review so we all can benefit :thumbsup:
  20. Laterx

Laterx Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone... my name is 'Laterx' and after a whole lot of confusion I decided to come in here. Rather than create a new post (there's probably enough questions like these floating around here right now) I thought I'd bring my questions in this topic.

I'm looking for a headphone and a headphone amp, and I really need suggestions. Here are some points to be made on what type of music I listen to, as well as the amount of money I'm going to spend and some other ideas.

1. I will be listening to a large variety of music. Everything from metal to classical to instrumentals, jazz, and fusion playing goes in and out of my ears. I probably don't have to explain the 'sound' of classical and instrumental music as well as jazz, as there seems to be a lot of posters in here with the Senn 650's. I should probably say that the metal I listen to is everything from prog-metal (think Pain of Salvation or Dream Theater) to death metal (Napalm Death) to black metal (WEAKLING and other recordings). Black metal is known for being harsher in it's sound, what with buzz saw guitars and raspy vocals. I'm looking for a headphone that would give excellent quality bass (like a Grado 325i) but with a warm, somewhat airy and open soundstage (something like a Senn 650). From what I've gathered by myself, I hear that the AKG 701's might be the headphones that I should grab. What do you guys think?

2. The purchase of a headphone amp must be the biggest pain the rear ever - there are tons of headphone amps, and all seem to have a different 'sound' to them. Tube amps seem to have a more 'warm' sound to them than solid state amps (like the Headroom Amps) but lack some of the bass. Also, some amps have a built in DAC option (again, like some HeadRoom amps) and this is really appeasing to me as I don't have the money to spend on a high quality CD (or SACD player) and I want to put a large library of files on a large hard drive (using high encoding like Apple Lossless). This could give me CD quality audio as well as eliminate the hassle of going through my many CD's every time I wanted to hear a new disc.

What should I buy? I have been checking out the HeadRoom amps, and I was originally attracted to the Millet Hybrid Amp, but without a DAC built in, I would have to buy a DAC and then feed it to the amp - and I'm wondering if there would be a sound loss issue here. I am currently checking out the HeadRoom Desktop Amp, with Home DAC and Module upgrades as well as an Attenuator. Another choice is the Sugden amp, which I hear has a fabulous warmth to it but lacks the DAC that the HeadRoom amp offers. Would someone please help on choices of amps? There have been a lot of questions on amps that I've found on here, but all of them are in the sub $400 dollar range.

3. What is the best source to drive your amp from? I am thinking of purchasing an external hard drive (600 GB's) to use to store a lot of Apple Lossless files so I can have a large library of CD quality files that I feed to the DAC on my (assuming I decide to buy it) HeadRoom Desktop Amp. Will this give me HiFi sound? Or should I save up even more money and buy a good SACD/CD player instead? It'd be a real pain changing discs all the time, but if it's the way to truly get the most out of my headphones and amp...

As you can see I'm in the price range of about $1,400 for a good headphone amp, and probably $299 or so for a good headphone. This might sound like a lot for a first time investment (and it is) but I've been wanting to have something of this quality to listen to my growing music collection for yeras, and I have been saving and doing without long enough that I'm nearly ready to purchase these things. I can't really go over the prices I've given for headphones and a headphone amp, but if you guys could please help steer me in the right direction... I've never spent this much money on anything like this, and I don't mind doing it, but I want to be 'safe' and satisified with my purchase as this will be my 'rig' for years down the road.

So give me all the suggestions and views you guys have! Please help a lost guy find sonic bliss. :)

21. GoRedwings19

GoRedwings19 Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    There are a few headphone amps which have built in dacs/headphone amplification.

Obviously there are the headroom offerings and there's also the lavry dac, apogee mini dac, benchmark dac , grace 901, grace 902.

Just google them and you can see what they look like.

I have only owned the 901.
  22. Daneel

Daneel Member

Ratings:
    +15
    Laterx:

Corda Aria for amp with built-in DAC. I have one and love it. I made a thread about in somewhere in this forum.
  23. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,412
    If you fancy splashing out, check this thread (as a starting point for research). Incidentally the Tomahawk costs &#163;174

I think all are US based (this country doesn't put emphasis on amps?), so beware of import duty, etc. Hopefully the postman will still be in the festive mood with me :p

For a more budget option, I've been advised of the Cmoy (eBay only, or buy d.i.y kit) and these from http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html
  24. DorKnight

DorKnight Member

Ratings:
    +38
    Gary's PA2v2 is excellent, I think he originally started knocking out the CMOY but concentrated on a cheap portable amp which became the PA2 with the better PA2v2 which has followed.

If you import you will find it very hard to find someone to mark down the cost of items, I've found you have more luck in the second hand market which can be a bonus as there will be hours already racked up on the amp.
  25. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,412
    I didn't originally plan to spend anywhere near that amount of green, and planned on getting the PA2v2

But, I just couldn't resist the Tomahawk :D So shiny... I think we are all agreed it's better than wasting my student loan on booze or whatever... hmm
  26. DorKnight

DorKnight Member

Ratings:
    +38
    IIRC Ray was offering the Tomahawk at discount for the first X amount of Head-Fi members, I think they were snapped up pretty quickly ;)
  27. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,412
    :D

I spent the first week partying as I hadn't seen friends for 3 months (uni). First "off-day" and I see the thread :suicide: I think I woulda saved £25. On the plus side the £>$ is great atm so I could have paid more with a worser exchange rate. Don't say anything, that is the view I am taking :)
  28. HighlandeR

HighlandeR Member

Ratings:
    +5
    wow who bumped up this from the grave ;)

Well ive been a very happy owner of my Audio Technic A900s headphones got them for about £120 imported from bluetin and then another 30 quid sigapore post office import fee !

But there awesome, the closed back and comfy design were easy to adapt too, they dont leak noise much and not on the same levels as any of my cordless cans ever did. Of course the sound difference was exceptional there was no comparision all my cordless cans I ever had were Bin and Trash worthy, none of them even come close to the sound quality of my Audio Technics.

I dont personaly think we will ever see a pair of Cordless cans comparable to canned headphones ever.. and theres another massive Philips cordless cans thread here too.

Only downsight is every now n then yeah I trip over the dam wire ;)
  29. doctorjuggles

doctorjuggles Member

Ratings:
    +14
    200, I think. Mine's on its way, I'll let everyone know my impressions when it arrives.
    StevieDvd should be getting his soon too.
    Steve, the race is on! I think mine will get here quicker, because mine's silver and everyone knows that the silver ones travel faster than the black ones. :D
  30. Steven

Steven Senior Moderator

Ratings:
    +5,412
    I agree the silver one looks very pretty and slick, but I wanted a black Tomahawk as it would match my laptop and DAP