Home Entertainment & Technology Resource

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8520 wont boot

Discussion in 'Blackberry Phones' started by tonkie, Feb 18, 2012.

1. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Can anyone help

I have done a search but found nothing,my 8520 will not fully boot,the bar goes about 2 thirds of the way and then just freezes,so cant get into the phone,any ideas why.

Thanks in advance for any help
  2. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Have you done anything with your phone recently? Did you upgrade the firmware? Install any apps or upgrades?

Take the battery out of the Curve and leave it out for a few minutes then put it back in, switch on and leave for 10 mins. Sometimes, it can take a while to start the first time, especially if you have recently installed something or upgraded any apps.

If this doesn't work, start the BlackBerry in safe mode (see KB17877-How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode for instructions) and then uninstall any software causing the boot problems.
  3. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Thanks

done as you have said but it still does the same,and trying to start in safe mode,well it doesn't,the loading bar just goes to 2 thirds and no safe mode page appears,looks like repair shop:mad:

Again Thanks
  4. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Try this; remove the battery and leave it out for a few minutes. Then hold the back arrow key and put the battery back in, keeping hold of the back key all the time (as opposed to waiting for the LED to to light first). Switch on the BB keeping hold of that back key.

If it boots to the splash screen and just hangs at two thirds, it definitely sounds like you have installed or updated something that has caused the probs with the OS rather than a hardware problem. What have you installed or updated recently?
  5. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Thanks again

done as you have said and still the same,as for what has been installed,not got a clue as it was daughters until it went pear shaped so Daddy had to buy another one for her, so now its mine.

She has said that she has installed some apps but until recent never turned it off and was only then it started to play up.

So saying it is the OS any idea how I get around it,I have the BB desktop installed,but cant access the phone via it.

Again thanks for you help
  6. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    If you are comfortable flashing your phone, see this link to revive a bricked BB that doesn't start:

How to Reload the Operating System on a Nuked or Bricked BlackBerry | CrackBerry.com

Make sure you download the right firmware for your handset from CrackBerry!

Also, to prevent this happening again in future, you can set a password on the appworld so that content can't be downloaded without entering this first.

Let us know how you get on, I'm sure there's absolutely nothing wrong with the hardware and it's just the OS that is fudged!
  7. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Thanks again for that

Going to have a crack(excuse the pun):D

Just downloading the OS for the 8520,but its taking an age,so will have a go later,I've nothing to lose:eek:

Will update later when I've pulled all my hair out:D
  8. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Here goes:eek:
  9. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Well started but haven't finished,as when I get to the Application Loader Wizard,theres nothing in the box were it say Application Name,its only saying that "The BB Desktop Software does not have BB Device Softwear for the device that you have connected to this computer"

Well I have installed the latest softwear for my 8530 so dont know why the desktop is not picking it yo:confused:

Any pointes

Sorry to be a pest:blush:
  10. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Ensure that you have downloaded the right firmware and that you uninstalled the old version first. And you did click the Loader app from the correct directory, right?

If you have done all that then check this. In step 2, you have to click Next as soon as the USB-PIN:UNKNOWN flashes for just a few seconds so you need to be quick to catch it.

Hope that helps, the process is really easy so unsure really what else to suggest.
  11. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    You need to install the software for an 8520 :rolleyes:
  12. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Thanks again,yes I have the 8520,was typo error,I have got past the USB-PIN:UNKNOWN stage and onto the Application Loader Wizard but theres no softwear listed in there,so I just need to add to it but I have tried lots but unable to add to the wizard,so any idea how to add.

I bet your sorry you started helping me:D
  13. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    That's the puzzling thing, there's nothing to add. You have installed the software on your PC and it's in the directory specified from which you started Loader.exe so it should have all the apps listed.

:confused:

Did you delete the Vendor.xml file from the AppLoader directory? This may be causing it to not recognise your Curve since the firmware you download is provided by another mobile network?

Also, try a different version of the BlackBerry desktop manager, the latest is version 6 but I would drop it back down to 4.5 and use that, (it's less bloated anyway).

To make sure it's a clean install, uninstall the current version and the firmware, use something like CCleaner to clean the registry and make sure you delete Programe Files/Common Files/Research In Montion directory, and then install the desktop manager and firmware again. Delete the vendor.xml file before launching Loader.exe and see if that works.

:smashin:
  14. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Thanks again,only if I could understand your last post:eek::blush:

I have uninstalled and reinstalled Desktop Manager and tried again and still the same,I catch the phone from going into load but again there are no softwear in Application Loader Wizard I have bitten the bullet and took it to someone who flashes phones and he seems to think he will do it,the downside is £25, but I suppose it stops me going :mad:

Thanks for al your help DG its much appreciaited,the :beer: are on me:D,I will post on how he gets along,

Again Thanks
  15. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    No probs, that's a shame you took it there as I reckon it's just the OS that needs reflashing.

In my last post, I meant uninstall the current desktop manager you have and install an older version like 4.5 to see if the softare appears in the app wizard. Sometimes, you have to use a specific version of desktop manager, I've always used 4.5 with Curve 8520's without any prob.
  16. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    I tried to get an older version of Desktop but every link seemed to take back to the BB site and could only get the latest from there,I knew you ment uninstall Desktop,but it was the Loader.exe and Vendor.xml that lost me.

Never mind if he gets it up and running £25 is well spent

Again thanks for your help,dont know about Dodgy_Geezer more like Diamond_Geezer
  17. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Well update:confused:

Got a call from the guy and he said something about the phone wont boot,

Anyway installed all the BB softwear onto another laptop and Bingo everything there,so me getting all excited started to re flash the 8520,so got to the Updating Your Device

Ticked at Load JVM and system softwear

Arrow at Wait for Device initialization

Green loading bar goes to the end,then another box appears with red cross in it,saying,

Application Loader was unable to connect with your device.Please re-connect your device,enter the password,if required,and click Retry:mad:

So sounds if its buggered

The loading bar on the BB stops at the very same point as to were it went when this all kicked off:confused:

Should I gave up while I still have my sanity:D
  18. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
  19. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Again DG Thanks for that

Well the saga continues,having installed the JL loader onto old laptop which is the only one out of 3 that will recognize the softweat in install wizard,now I have the problem with a dead battery in that laptop and the AC connection is faulty so cant charge it:mad:

Cant wipe it clean on other 2 laptops as the JL loader wont work on a 64 bit machine,so I have all the installed softwear on a machine with no life in it,so off to shop today to either get battery charged or connection fixed:mad:

Not going to give up yet but I'm sure it would off been easier and less stressful to but new phone
  20. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Update

The charger on laptop was faulty,my other charger works on older laptop,now why didn't I try that last night.

Anyhow,all softwear installed on older laptop and JL Loader installed and done as instructed to do,but nothing seems to happen,no wipe clean,well I say no wipe clean but I dont know what is supposed to happen,after you type in blackberry and dont know if I am supposed to press enter or just leave,I have done both,that is not press enter and press,but like I say dont know what I'm looking for it to do.

I getting to the point now that the BB is :censored: so unrepairable,I've even tried going through the Load wizard but it just does asfar as before:mad:

So anyother pointers:D
  21. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    Dunno what else to suggest mate :(

You've got Desktop Manager working, the right firmware installed, the loader recognising the phone as connected
    :confused:

If you've followed the instructions in the link to the letter there is no reason for it not to work, this is how you unbrick BlackBerry's and it's extremely rare for them to be fubarred to the point where you can't reflash them.

Perhaps post over on CrackBerry and ask for help there?
  22. usenetz

usenetz Member

Ratings:
    +109
    I just stumbled across this thread and feel I must commend both Dodgy_Geezer for his doggedness, helpful persistence, and encouragement and also tonkie for tenacity in the face adversity.

Memories of how the Internet always was.

Well done both of you, and I would love to hear the final chapter of this story.

john
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
  23. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Got to agree with you John,Diamond_Geezer,oops Dodgy has been the most helpful of guys that I have come across on the net and his willingness to help went way above the norm.

I hadn't updated from last advice as I got tied up with other matters,any how,I did post onto crackberry but got no response,so now the Dead 8520 is sitting in a draw in the kitchen and I have a new Nokia c3-01.

I must add to your sentiments about Dodgy,what a star
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  24. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer Member

Ratings:
    +221
    :blush:

If you were anywhere in London, I'd say let me have a crack at the handset, I refuse to believe it's completely dead.

You mentioned not being able to get an older version of Desktop Manager, here's the link:

https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads/contactFormPreload.do?code=A8BAA56554F96369AB93E4F3BB068C22&dl=05348843C98AD7AB99DE4C72456D2970

Just fill in any old rubbish for your name and address to get the link. Try that as I think you are using a newer version of desktop manager whereas v4.5 has worked for me everytime on an 8520. Just go through all the steps again carefully as per the Crackberry post, it does work and unless it's a hardware fault (unlikely), there's no reason why we can't revive it.

As a final thought though, if you really can't get it working, sell it on eBay as faulty as there are plenty of people who will buy as bricked simply because BB's are usually fairly easy to revive, much more so than other handsets.
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012
  25. tonkie

tonkie Active Member

Ratings:
    +742
    Thanks

Did as above,but got the same response,so I think thats it,its dead:D

Thanks again for your help and time its been much appreciated:smashin: