1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

61" SONY XBR Possible Convergence Chip Problem

Discussion in 'TVs' started by pstassforth, Mar 10, 2006.

1. pstassforth

pstassforth Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Greetings! I am a newbie and hope to find help here...

I have a 61" Sony big screen manufactured in 1997. I have a situation where I believe the convergence chips are defective. The screen will turn darker and there is somewhat of a blur, or convergence display issue. The green appears most distorted vertically, and also it seems as though the red is somewhat distorted as well.

This apparent convergence problem happens intermittently, so it has not rendered my Sony un-viewable up to this point, but if they are going bad, then I want to repair them prior to them being permanently damaged. I may watch up to an hour of quality screen time, then it will go bad for a half hour, then good, etc. There is no discernible pattern of time. It used to seem to happen when the TV was used for awhile (i.e., when it was hot), but lately it sometimes starts that way and may take 30 to 45 minutes to get back to normal. This has occurred for about 4 months.

I took off the back and looked to see which were the convergence chips, and they appear to be attached to each red, green and blue gun. It seems that the Red gun houses a larger chip, the green a middle sized one and the blue a smaller one, but they are pretty close in size. From the rear view, it is difficult to see whether the convergence chips come off. From the front view, it is not as viewable or accessible.

So my questions are:

Are these the convergence chips?
    If yes, do they snap off somehow so I can take them into a repair shop to see if they are damaged or fixable? If no, do I need to pull each separate gun (Red, Green and Blue) out with the convergence chip intact to be repaired? Is there any warranty for these by Sony? Any idea how much each chip costs?

Thanks! Paul Stassforth :eek:
  2. ATV02

ATV02 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a KP-61XBR38. I believe year of manufacture is 1995. Their should only be two convergence amplifiers, usually marked STKxxxx. The convergence amplifiers are located on the D board. You can acess this board by removing the front, bottom, center panel located between the bottom speakers... Be careful when removing the panel and watch that you dont pull out the wires routed to the front TV controls... Once you have the panel removed you should see a board with about 80 varisistors on it. On the left side of the board you will see two big black chips clipped to an aluminum heatsink which the D Board is attached too. The two BIG black chips are the convergence amplifiers with about 30 leads each soldered into the D Board. Newark.com carries the replacement chips at about $13 each. If the chips have fried you need to check the fuses on the D Board, located on the top right. Also, check the resistors in line with the convergence amplifiers, if the amplifiers fried it probably took out the resistors as well. They are 1 ohm, 1/2 watt metal film.

If you plan on tackling this you should probably get the service manual for your model.

I hope I have helped in any way.