6 Nations - 2012

richp007

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd start a thread as the other one is talking about 3D.

Not sure how Scotland haven't won this game, but being an England supporter I'm pleased! :D way too many mistakes from Scotland tho, and it could have been quite different another day. Dodgy decision maybe with the Scotland try that wasn't? Very difficult to call that.

Lots of errors by both sides but Scotland were worse for butchering two clear cut chances and giving a try away. England can be pleased with a win and stopping the losing run at Murrayfield ,but they will have to improve massively.Played too much on the back foot for my liking although it was good their penalty count was quite low.I think maybe a change in the forwards with Ben Morgan might be in order as he carries the ball much more effectively than Dowson who looks a little lightweight for an 8.Still, it was the team's first match so we shall have to see how things go.
France looked good defensively very strong and took their opportunities well

I didnt think that was a try btw as the ball just brushed his shirt

Dodgy decision maybe with the Scotland try that wasn't? Very difficult to call that.
Scotland could and should have won but then perhaps you do not deserve to if the errors consistently happen in the final third. Saying that England did not deserve to win either but that they did.

Wouldn't go as far as to say the video ref's decision was "dodgy". Only one angle suggested a try, whereas other angles suggested there was no contact and/or control. In those circumstances it would have been even more dodgy to award a try and to err on the side of caution is the correct call

Lol, I didn't mean dodgy as in criminally dodgy. Just a bad call maybe??

Anyways that was y'day, what a game that just was! :eek: Didn't think Wales were going to nick that. What about that final penalty too? Be a lot of unhappy Irish fans heading the pub!!

What a first weekend of contrasts. Scotland v England test rugby at it's worse. Ireland v Wales test rugby at it's very best.

Even though I'm a fervant Welsh supporter I would not have denied an Irish win. From start to finish it was an enthralling match. With three home games to come and an inexperienced England at Twickenham could it be a good year for Wales.

However, I do think that Wales could be without Bradley Davies as he will obviously be cited. What a game big George North had. This really was a game to savour.

a proper game of rugby, George North was immense, such power and finesse in the offloads. should have been more comfortable, we missed loads of kicks.

Davies lucky not to have a straight red, off the ball, stupid. Can't see Preistland taking the kicks from here on in,

Apparently an off the ball pile driver power bomb from WWE wrestling sings a red card :(

Anyways that was y'day, what a game that just was! :eek: Didn't think Wales were going to nick that. What about that final penalty too? Be a lot of unhappy Irish fans heading the pub!!

Stupid boy to give that away. He tipped him. Harsh but rules are rules and he knew what he had done judging by his reaction.
Wales were the better side for me. I expected a bit more from The Irish tbh and I honestly thought we'd thrown the game away after Davies did that ridiculous tackle. It should have been a red but the better team won in the end. Happy for Halfpenny to get the winning points after just failing with the conversion and missing that kick by inches in the semi final of WC (not blaming him as it was a very long kick to make). Priestlands goal kicking was poor. I said before he took his first one that Halfpenny should be on kicking duties. He's pretty accurate and has good length too.
Very exciting game though :) Better than the dross that was played on Saturday.

Very exciting game though :) Better than the dross that was played on Saturday.

It was a great game, and credit to both teams for that. As you say it was a stupid penalty to give away and fair play the the lad for sticking it over.

I still can't believe that we couldn't close it out though. It's a trademark of Declan Kidney teams to dig in and hold on to a winning position in the last 4 or 5 mins.
As much as Sexton is the future for us, I don't think we'd have lost if O'Gara was on the field. I doubt he'd have missed both the conversion and the penalty towards the end which would have sealed it.

If's, but's and maybe's!!

Last edited:
I think Ireland's decision to kick that long penalty towards the end was the wrong one. Sexton was never going to get that and just gave the ball back to them. He was too far out and he should have gone for the corner, start running the clock down, maybe nick a penalty closer in!!

Still not sure it was a penalty at the end, Ferris didn't really tip him "properly", i.e. one foot of the Wlesh lad stayed on the ground, Ferris didn't let go of him and the Welsh lad landed on his side! I watched it again last night, and I didn't like the reaction of the Welsh lad who basically rubbed / patted Ferris on the head...taking the pee a bit I thought !

I think Ireland's decision to kick that long penalty towards the end was the wrong one. Sexton was never going to get that and just gave the ball back to them. He was too far out and he should have gone for the corner, start running the clock down, maybe nick a penalty closer in!!

Still not sure it was a penalty at the end, Ferris didn't really tip him "properly", i.e. one foot of the Wlesh lad stayed on the ground, Ferris didn't let go of him and the Welsh lad landed on his side! I watched it again last night, and I didn't like the reaction of the Welsh lad who basically rubbed / patted Ferris on the head...taking the pee a bit I thought !

Aye. I bet a Paddy has never done that! ;)

Dodgy decision maybe with the Scotland try that wasn't? Very difficult to call that.

One thing I'm amazed they never mentioned was that Laidlaw definitely fowled Youngs trying to get his hand to the ball. He was behind Youngs and tried to pull him back before he even got near the ball.

You can see it clearly here (about 2:10 onwards) he just runs into his back and knocks him over.

Steve W

I, and I didn't like the reaction of the Welsh lad who basically rubbed / patted Ferris on the head...taking the pee a bit I thought !
I am afraid thats quite a common occurrence these days.One thing I bet Wayne Barnes has added Ireland to the nations who no longer trust him, after the two yellows, that is:laugh:Glad he is English, therefore cant referree a match involving England:eek:

To be honest I thought Barnes did well up til then. The touch judge let him down on the first yellow, as it was off the ball so the ref didn't see it, but the touch judge recommended a yellow, so not much the ref can do there! I thought the 2nd yellow was harsh though !

I am afraid thats quite a common occurrence these days.One thing I bet Wayne Barnes has added Ireland to the nations who no longer trust him, after the two yellows, that is:laugh:Glad he is English, therefore cant referree a match involving England:eek:

there are many worse referees around than Wayne Barnes I'm afraid.
Nigel Owens for one.

Nigel Owens for one.

I thought he was penalising Wales to much in the first half, maybe he was looking for the opportunity to level things up in the second?

Wales would have scored a try anyway if he hadn't given that penalty :cool:

Nigel Owens for one.

Would love to see any stats for this.

Quite obvious what you meant and never thought you attributed "criminality" to the decision, but feel free to use whatever rhetoric you wish!

My post is simply what it is. Given it was arguable either way my opinion simply differs from yours in that therefore a [video] ref has to err on the side of caution and not award a try. In practice, in such circumstances, it would be rare to see a try awarded by the laws of the game

Nigel Owens for one.

I thought Nigel Owens had an excellent match saturday.He has always been one of my favourites and is well respected by hte players.David Pearson is another.
I mentioned W Barnes because the Kiwis dont rate him at all and he has made some dodgey decisions in important matches

On balance Wales deserved the win ,folks whereas Ireland continue to be enigmatic.How come they have the two best teams in the HEC and another in Ulster through to the QF and yet the international side underperforms? Bar two good wins against England and Australia, last season was pants whilst Wales seem to be the reverse:confused:

If I were Wales I'd be less happy than they appear to be.

They've come from a superb World Cup with a young and developing team, where very few quality players have retired. Ireland have had wholesale changes made. Wales should have walked this one, but arguably they should have lost.

Steve W

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom